Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Newbie needing help and advice cause im confused

This is a discussion on Newbie needing help and advice cause im confused within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right this is gunna be a long post but i hope someone can help cause im a bit confused really... ...

Mat28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Newbie needing help and advice cause im confused

Right this is gunna be a long post but i hope someone can help cause im a bit confused really...

First things first i been a sky max user for several months and only got speeds of 3704 kb/s meaning this is what it read in the router status on connection speed.Anyway last night i got reading and found stuff about removing some wires from my sockets/fone socket.And i removed 4 wires from 1,,3,4,6 and left 2 & 5 in.Right ok i then put it all back together and reset modem and i then got 4868 kb/s on downstream.Ok i thought and carried on my business as i was happy with this however.Today my internet dropped out and it reconnected in a few secs and i then login to router and it now reads this :

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 5440 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

So im sat wondering wtf is goin on and wondering if it ll go up any furthur.I live about 2.8 mile from the exchange and i also recieve less drop outs than i used to since pulling out the wires as wrote above.I also have a few questions as well

1. After removing ringwire and a few others leaving my phone socket with only wires 2 & 5 plugged in where the routers plugged in.Do i also need to do the same for the other one which has the fone and filter plugged in where the router isnt.(hope i explained this ok)

2.As i wrote above im wondering when and how much this downstream connection speed is going to go upto.Being used to only 3704 b/s since i joined and it now rising steadily how much can i expect this to go up baring in mind i live 2.8 mile from exchange.

3. Is this the latest firmware version ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f as i havent updated since i joined sky max 3 months ago.

Also a final note the evenings of 8 and 9th of october i think are exchange got updated cause i had no internet for a few hrs on both evenings.

Thx to all those that help me
      Last edited by Mat28; 11-10-07 at 06:22 PM.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Newbie needing help and advice cause im confused

Hi Mat,

1. After removing ringwire and a few others leaving my phone socket with only wires 2 & 5 plugged in where the routers plugged in.Do i also need to do the same for the other one which has the fone and filter plugged in where the router isnt.(hope i explained this ok)
      If the socket you are using is an exstention, then yes you will need to do the same to all other sockets

2.As i wrote above im wondering when and how much this downstream connection speed is going to go upto.Being used to only 3704 b/s since i joined and it now rising steadily how much can i expect this to go up baring in mind i live 2.8 mile from exchange.
      i'm not sure about your possible speed without seeing your full stats. See this link Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained which may explain a bit better

3. Is this the latest firmware version ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f as i havent updated since i joined sky max 3 months ago.
      yes it is, sky will auto update when they release anything new (we are all waiting for one that is in beta at the moment i think)

could you post your full stats for all to have a look at

P.S if you are using an exstention, then you could try the test socket (behind face plate of master socket), this will show what the max your line is capable of

Mat28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Newbie needing help and advice cause im confused

thx for the help i ll post my stats later when me other 2 pcs aint in use by someone