Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sorry for newbie question! please forgive

This is a discussion on Sorry for newbie question! please forgive within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everybody 1st of i would like to say what a great website to "fiddle" with your sky BB setting ...

DJing_Dave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sorry for newbie question! please forgive

Hi everybody

1st of i would like to say what a great website to "fiddle" with your sky BB setting & other wonderful things you can achieve!

Im writing this at work so can not get full stats etc from the router (DG834GT) but i have a few questions if poss you can clear up for me ...

I have the basic BB package from sky (the free 8mb package i know cheap skate) after stumberling upon your site yesterday regarding sky BB speeds i have, had a fiddle with my box. Bit of a story but please bear with me.... I logged onto my router yesterday & found that it was running at d/l 356kbs with a up/l of 456kbs with the db around 35 - 50 (this is from memory) after unplugging the router & pulling all wires out the back then sticking it all to together my stats jumped to d/l 1824kbs with a up/l of 456kbs so a good jump but not great i haven't looked for my master socket as i live in a 2nd floor flat & not sure if i have one (only found out today regarding the master socket, again from this great website ) i also downloaded the TCP utility & maxed it out as suggested but nothing really happened (again only found out today that should try it at 8mb not max it hehe gotta try!) I've looked to see what my exchange can handle & its telling me 5000kbs but i can only get 1824kbs max & the download rate (right click save us jobby) shows me at 60 to 80kbs... can any one clear up a few issues i have. 1 do u think a 2nd floor flat would have a master socket, 2 as im on the basic (free package) sky BB i would ever get close to 8mbs, 3 re-boot the router does this = un plug it? any input would help, i have read over many of the forums & found so much info regarding speeding it up but just want to see if its worth me doing... even if i can get a download rate of 2.5mbs i would be happy as im trying to download WOW patch which is 465mbs & 659mbs & dont really want to wait 9 hours for the download to complete.

Again any help would be most grateful & sorry if this is same old posts that every one does...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sorry for newbie question! please forgive

If you are on the Base (free) package, your maximum download will be 2mb not 8. In addition you will only have a download limit of 2Gb. If you intend to download game demos and patches on a regular basis you would be better upgrading to Mid,(5 pm) which gives you up to 8mb download plus 40GB.

If you are on the Mid package, your wiring probably needs some work. Let us know what you are on, as if you are getting around 1800 that is about normal for the base package. If you are actually on Mid, then some improvement should be possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

if u dont pay ur on base [2 meg] and u ant getting any better pay the fiver and enjoy 5 meg and 40 gig a month

DJing_Dave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Thanks for the help, I am thinking of upgrading now I know only have 2GB download limit on the base package! I have managed to get the speed up to 1948K download with a upload of 456K just by rebooting the router on Saturday morning (around 9am) so all good (never knew about this until looking at this site!) also managed to download 1.5GB in less then 1 & 1/2 hours so even better, until I have now found out capped at 2GB per month! Also ping on World of warcraft is between 20 - 200ms & no lag so on a whole extremely pleased.

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nvm, beaten to it