Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the point of getting a MAC code?

This is a discussion on What's the point of getting a MAC code? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was going to post about this yesterday but i was so mad i went to the pub instead. Got ...

big bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

What's the point of getting a MAC code?

I was going to post about this yesterday but i was so mad i went to the pub instead.

Got my MAC code from BT Broadband on 28th July 2007. The man on the other end told me it was valid for 30 days and there was no need to give a separate 30 days notice to cancel my contract as the MAC code covered that as long as it was used within the 30 days.

Phoned Sky to order the Mid package, the guy said he needed a MAC code so i happily gave him the one supplied by BT. Order went through, router arrived 3 days later, got connected on 8th August.

Am i happy?

Well i was until i saw my BT bill yesterday.

Instead of a credit for Broadband from 27th August the charge was still there and, a further 3 months charges at 24.99 a month from 8th October.

Got on the phone to BT and had a rant at them. As far as they were concerned i was still with BT Broadband. The lady went away for a few seconds , came back and asked if i had moved to Sky. I answered yes.
      She said well Sky didn't use the MAC code, they just asked for my connection to be moved to Sky's eqiupment in the exchange which has nothing to do with BT and if they had used the MAC code there wouldn't be a problem now.

I asked for a refund and was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't their problem and it is Sky who should be covering the costs.

I have contacted Sky and am waiting for a reply.

How did they migrate me without using the MAC code?

Why didn't they use the MAC code?

I have worked it out that someone owes me around 60. I feel a long battle coming on.

Might have to go back to the pub and form a battle plan

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What's the point of getting a MAC code?

It has been well publicised in the forum that receiving a MAC does not constitute notice to your old ISP, no matter what you were told by BT. The fact that BT were requested to move your connection to Sky, and did so, should have gave them a hint that you were leaving. I don't think you have any beef with Sky, you asked them for a connection, they supplied it, end of story.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yup, I agree. unfortunately you should have confirmed your cancellation on the phone with BT after you were connected to Sky. The guy from BT who told you not to worry was incorrect.

It's definitely worth taking it further with BT. It's not Sky's fault in any way - even if they used the Mac code (after all - if they didn't then BT just let them take the customer away without authorisation)

I'm sure that if you kick up a very polite fuss with BT they will refund the money.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

The man on the other end told me it was valid for 30 days and there was no need to give a separate 30 days notice to cancel my contract as the MAC code covered that as long as it was used within the 30 days

As advised by BT.

unfortunately you should have confirmed your cancellation on the phone with BT after you were connected to Sky. The guy from BT who told you not to worry was incorrect.
      I forgot to put this bit in my original post........... I phoned BT the day after i was connected to Sky to make sure they knew i had left and i wouldn't be billed for BT Broadband any more. If it meant being charged for an extra 10 days i wouldn't have minded. But no, i was told the MAC code was sufficient.

I am aware that certain broadband providers require you to give notice of your intention to leave on top of requesting a MAC code, Sky are one of these but this is not the case with BT apparently. Anyway i still covered my back.

Someone is in the wrong here. All i know is, it isn't me.

I have also found this thread
      stuck in the middle of BT & Sky, aarrrrghhh!

I dunno, it's enough to drive good honest folk to drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

The only problem is i can't afford it now.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky can't just 'move you' without using the mac code, its impossible - ring them up if you want clarification, get them to read the mac code that was used back to you and then you know it was used.

XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was under the same inpression, that sky would have to use the MAC to use the line. BT would not have given sky the line unless they gave a valid MAC. Somebody at BT is telling you porkys.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Extract from BT BB T& Cs
      Ending your agreement for the service

14. If you want to end your agreement, you may do so by giving us 30 days' notice.
      It does not stipulate how this should be done and I can find no mention of the MAC being a form of notice. In all cases of termination it is better to at least confirm it in writing, be it email or hard copy. Telephone conversations are very difficult to prove, unless you have the foresight to record it.

It is difficult to see how Sky could just take your service over without using a MAC. The only way this could be done would be for BT to put a cease on your line. Have you had a look at what it says in the line tracker, it may be your only way of proving that BT were aware of the move and should not be charging you.
      BT.com | Small & medium business | Your account | Order Tracking

You should see in the Landline side that Sky have taken you BB over and in the Broadband side, that BT have ceased your supply.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As a small aside, when I requested a MAC code from Nildram, prior to my move to Sky, I was told that my request for a MAC code would be taken as notice to cancel the account, but "it would be a good idea to phone back in a month's time to check the account has actually been closed".

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Big Bob.

The problem lies squarely with BT. Phones them up, write a letter, contact citizens advice - whatever you need to do - the problem is with them.

If you contacted them once you were connected to Sky and told them you did not require the service any more then you have canceled. The best they could argue is that it was 30 days notice from that day and you would have to pay for an extra month. But seriously, they are pulling your plums if they think that they can get anway with it.

As a previous poster said, if you don't get anywhere, try asking Sky to read back the MAC code they used in the transfer - assuming they still keep these things.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Thanks

Have you had a look at what it says in the line tracker, it may be your only way of proving that BT were aware of the move and should not be charging you.
      There are 2 items showing on that, both completed on 8th August.

the sky goat,
      The best they could argue is that it was 30 days notice from that day and you would have to pay for an extra month.
      I was thinking along those lines as well.

I am waiting for replies from both BT and Sky before i decide what to do next.

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast