Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed Like A Yo-Yo

This is a discussion on Speed Like A Yo-Yo within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Looks like a good forum to be part of... Especaily when thinking of the difficulties of using Customer ...

SteCole77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Irlam - MRIRL
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Like A Yo-Yo

Hi All,

Looks like a good forum to be part of... Especaily when thinking of the difficulties of using Customer Service departments!

I've had my connection for just over a week now and i'm finding it's just really unstable.

I tried the TCP Optimizer as linked in by.. sorry i forget who now.. but still have no joy.

I'm currently on the Connect package, waiting for Max to come available in my area.
      My stats are as follows : 34c.. lol jk... i'm a guy!

ADSL Link...Downstream...Upstream
      Con Spd.....8128 kbps......448 kbps
      Line Atten...21.0 db........12.0 db
      Ns Margin....12.6 db........23.0 db

I once got 6.5mb and the other day i had 5.5 for a while but it never stays the same for long.
      It usualy ranges between super super slow and 3.5/4mbs.
      Some times web pages don't open etc until i refresh a load of times... or close the window and open a new one.

Any body got any ideas?

Do i need to wait for the system to settle in?

Also, how does the system work? The more that connect, the slower we all go?

Not very impressed to be honest, so far. I used to have a 1mg connection before and usualy this is faster but the old one was rock steady and never gave me troubles like this.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site SteCole77

Yes you have around a 10 day training period on MAX Adsl this doesn't happen with LLU but there could also be other factors involved such as contention, when you ran TCP Optimizer did you also edit the MTU settings in the router to match?

You may also want to try is connecting to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket it could help, and I would also replace the dingily dangily filters with filtered faceplate's.

For more info on how to do this check out Kitz great site and for faceplate's look here Adsl Nation

Stupid question I know but do you have filters on all you phone points in use?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      With that attenuation, you should be syncing higher than that. Have you run a test through your master socket? If you have a newer type you can remove the faceplate and try the BT test socket. This will help you rule out your internal wiring as a cause of instability.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
      when you ran TCP Optimizer did you also edit the MTU settings in the router to match?

Stupid question I know but do you have filters on all you phone points in use?
      No, i didn't do that, what do i need to do? New to using a router

And yeah i have filters every where. Always ask the dump questions, someone some where always does something dumb

Just got of the phone to the tech sup... got stuck at the point of 'is it plugged into the master socket'
      i said no, that 2 flights down form the pc.
      He said, 'ok well we need to check it in there, try ringing BT to get them to do something to your master socket'.

Not the most helpful conversation.

I live in a 3 floor house, the master socket is just in side the front door on the ground floor.
      My pc is on the 2nd floor, i have a 2nd socket in the longue on the 1st floor and extension from that up to my pc.

Not the best layout, i can imagine but it worked before!

I'll test a connection to the master socket tonight, i'll have to use my works laptop to do it but i'm not convinced it'll do much.

Thanks
      Don't be surprised if it does. My speeds doubled through the test socket and I was already connected to the master socket. My wiring was causing interference.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      With that attenuation, you should be syncing higher than that. Have you run a test through your master socket? If you have a newer type you can remove the faceplate and try the BT test socket. This will help you rule out your internal wiring as a cause of instability.

I'll try that, what does the test socket look like? Just a normal socket?

Also... attenuation, syncing etc...

I'll understand if you explain slightly but i've never got this involved before.... I'm smart really!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Boy am I glad I don't have a house like yours my wheelchair would hate it

Ok log into the router with http://192.168.0.1 default username /password is admin/sky then goto WAN Setup down the left and make sure the MTU set there is the same as the one you got with TCP Optimizer if you remember what it was that is.

Yep you are right extension can create all kinds of problems as well

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks
      If you look at your master socket you should be able to unscrew half of it (usually the bottom half) once you remove this half (the faceplate) you should see another socket underneath which the master socket plugs into this is the test socket. You can test your connection by connecting your router directly through this.

When you unplug the faceplate, if you see extension wires connected to the back of it this is most likely the cause of your interference. It might not be the case, but it is definately worth a try.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you read my first rely to you SteCole77 there are a couple of links go to the first one a lot of good info on Kitz site.
      Ray

click here

Thanks
      Attenuation: is an indication of the strength of the signal you recieve. The lower the better.
      Syncing: is the speed at which your router connects to the exchange. Your connection cannot go any faster than the speed you are syncing.
      SNR: Signal to noise ratio. This is an indication of how much noise there is compared to the strength of the signal. Generally the higher the SNR the more stable your connection.
      ADSL2+ used by sky BB goes through a negotiation prcedure every time you reboot your router. It negotiates with the exchange for the the highest signal speed it can get, while matching a target SNR set by the ISP. The SNR target is usually between 7 and 10db. When it agrees this your modem syncs and should in theory perform at that speed minus overheads.

Problems arise when your SNR drops to such a level that your signal can be lost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast