Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange telephone problems since connecting to BB

This is a discussion on Strange telephone problems since connecting to BB within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, This could be really long winded but here goes! Our BB line was activated on Monday however my Ethernet ...

Carlito is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Strange telephone problems since connecting to BB

Hi,

This could be really long winded but here goes!

Our BB line was activated on Monday however my Ethernet card had gone on the blink. I have bought a new one yesterday and finally been able to connect to BB now ok and the service seems fine.

However, now I seem to have lost all use to all phones in the house!

When we bought the house it came with two phone sockets - one in the living room and one by the front door (which I have been told is the master) We now have Sky+ installed in the front room connected via microfilter (along with the phone) to the phone socket in the living room. Through small talk with the Sky engineer when installing Sky+ he advised me to have a phone socket installed upstairs in the computer room as wired is more reliable than wireless. We had this done for 45 via a contact of the Sky engineer and everything seemed to be working ok. Connected via microfilter with an old corded phone even though we dont really need one upstairs.

I connected online for the first time last night and didnt check the phone etc. This evening we had several telephone call however when answering it was either silent or really noisy ("internet noise")

I can now not make any external calls at all. There is no dial tone at all - either noise or silence. I have tried this with the PC on and off. Have tried two different phones - the main cordless and the corded one connected to the micofilter with the BB. I have even disconnected the phone from the living room and conncected the master socket and still no luck.

If it matters we should be on Sky Talk now (depending on how long it switches over) with our standard BT line rental.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice at all?? I am going try and get in touch with the independent phone engineer who installed our upstairs socket.

I cant really live without being able to make/receive landline calls and I have tried searching here and found this which sounds similar telephone problems

Thanks for looking and any replies

EDIT: Forgot to mention - have called my landline via my mobile - everything rings ok however when answering it is silent. The rining stops on the house phone however the mobile still rings out??

Carl
      Last edited by Carlito; 10-10-07 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Addition

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Strange telephone problems since connecting to BB

This sounds like a problem at the exchange. I think it might be easiest to speak to BT about this. If there is a problem at the exchange, they're the ones who caused the problem and they're the ones who can fix it. After all, it's the voice service that's failed, and that's what you pay the BT line rental for.

Carlito is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Strange telephone problems since connecting to BB

Thanks for the reply. Will get in touch with them when I can find someones landline to use!

Have tried going online to use the fault checker but it just says cannot check faults at this time.