Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Easynet - Project Filtering?

This is a discussion on Easynet - Project Filtering? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, Just earlier, I was download a few files from Rapidshare, Perfectly Legal files, Just a few 100Mb home movie ...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Easynet - Project Filtering?

Well, Just earlier, I was download a few files from Rapidshare, Perfectly Legal files, Just a few 100Mb home movie edits from a family member in the States.

I went to download them and it first said my IP address "212.134.155.211" was already downloading a file?
      Great I though.. But then, Since when has my IP been "212.xx.xx ect"

So I went on to DNS Stuff and did a search, DNS Stuff: DNS tools, DNS hosting tests, WHOIS, traceroute, ping, and other network and domain name tools.

inetnum: 212.134.155.192 - 212.134.155.223
      netname: EASYNET-BL-FILTER
      descr: Filter Project
      tech-c: EH92-RIPE
      notify: hostmaster@easynet.netmnt-by: EASYNET-UK-MNT
      changed: phil.duffen@uk.easynet.net 20041116
      source: RIPESo,

Ok i thought nothing of it, Until I tried downloading it again and it said my IP had been banned?Whatever for?So im wondering, Does anyone know anything else about this "Filtering Project" and what is it all about?Btw, Got my parents to test in the study with VM and they can download it fine?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Easynet - Project Filtering?

I would assume if Easynet are filtering IP's it would be to do with the Bogons issues when the Sky IP's were giving no access at the beginning to certian websites etc.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Been raised before:

whats going on with IP addresses ?

The only "project filter" I've heard of is:

Quote:
      "DNS Blacklist Packet Filter project is a Linux netfilter client that decides whether to accept or drop packets based on the results of a DNS blacklist query (such as MAPS, SORBS, or SPEWS, to name a few)."

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I reckon it's Easynet's equivalent of BT's Cleanfeed. When the routers get an IP address match for a site that's been listed as distributing illegal material, the transfer is handed off to a transparent proxy where the URL can be matched against a blacklist.

Once the request is deemed clean - as is the case here - the request is forwarded to Rapidshare, but the fact that the request has come through a proxy upsets the mechanism by which Rapidshare allows only one download at a time from any one machine.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks for the info James.

Saturday, Sorry, Didnt see that thread, Must of missed it when I searched "Easynet Filtering".

Maybe you should merge the threads?

d4rkskies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      I reckon it's Easynet's equivalent of BT's Cleanfeed. When the routers get an IP address match for a site that's been listed as distributing illegal material, the transfer is handed off to a transparent proxy where the URL can be matched against a blacklist.

Once the request is deemed clean - as is the case here - the request is forwarded to Rapidshare, but the fact that the request has come through a proxy upsets the mechanism by which Rapidshare allows only one download at a time from any one machine.
      They're using proxies to do this? That's extremely poor by any service provider's standards. Cleanfeed runs off of routers, not proxies. Most ISP's would run a packet sniffing or router-run blacklist, not a proxy. This results in no NAT issues and equally as important - no latency or bottlenecking.

Time to switch my ISP I think. I don't seem to ever be able to download anything from RapidShare which is a pain in the backside considering it's the easiest way to transfer large files to clients.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you noticed this thread is 2 and half years old!?!?

and bare in mind you've got MegaUpload, SendSpace, YouSendIt, etc there are many ways to send files
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't seem to ever be able to download anything from RapidShare which is a pain in the backside considering it's the easiest way to transfer large files to clients.
      Maybe you should use something like Yousendit, which is very unlikely to be blocked for illegal content. YouSendIt: Online File Sharing and collaboration with FTP Replacement - Send Large Files and Email Attachments with Managed File Transfer Solution

Sky is also a domestic broadband supplier, business/commercial use is specifically banned. If you are using it for business, you probably should find another ISP who will give proper business support.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

d4rkskies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks - however rapidshare is the standard that most people are using to host so downloading is a real issue.

I work from home occasionally so hardly think that's a reason to start quoting T&C's about using a business ISP instead.

So does anyone have an idea on why Rapidshare is not working? This has only occurred recently. (last two weeks).

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I work from home occasionally so hardly think that's a reason to start quoting T&C's about using a business ISP instead
      Sorry, but you are the one who is complaining about not getting large files to your clients. If you were using a business class ISP you would have reason to complain, with Sky you don't.

The problems with RS seem to rise every now and then, if you have a read of this very long thread and the links it contains, you will get an idea of what has been done to overcome the difficulties you are experiencing.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)