Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Capped again - From Max to Mid

This is a discussion on Capped again - From Max to Mid within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'll try and keep this short. Started off a few months ago on Max - line synched at 15.4Mb daily, ...

moob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Capped again - From Max to Mid

I'll try and keep this short.

Started off a few months ago on Max - line synched at 15.4Mb daily, with 7.5db SNR and 30db attenuation. Did speedtests, and like when I was with Eclipse previously, could never get above a 3Mb download speed. To be honest, I wasn't overly concerned by this, as I still got reasonable downloads that suited my needs.

However, I started getting a bunch of CRC errors on my line, had to always reboot the router at the same time each night - around 8pm. I got rather bored with this tedium involved in this and decided to take the matter up with Tier 3.

Spoke to a lad there who noted the abundance of CRC errors my line was showing up, he said the max my line could support was around 13Mb, so he decided the best thing would be to cap my connection to 12.5Mb. This lead to my line SNR moving up to around 12db and things seemed a bit better - but only for around 24 hours. Speedtests were actually lower than before - at around 2Mb and I ended up having to reboot due to CRC errors and my connection becoming unusable.

Once again attempted to contact T3, could not get through, was told they would contact me within 5 days - guess what - never happened.

Logged onto my router the other night after noticing my connection was slow as hell again, downloads via p2p never breached 70Kb/s, speed tests were 0.7Mb. Found out they'd capped me without my authority to 7.68Mb, and my upload is now at 0.61Mb.

There are however no CRC errors showing up any longer. The main issues I now have are the really slow download speeds, and when I attempt browsing while I'm downloading, it is basically impossible and I have to close my download.

Hope someone can possibly help me out on this, and how I approach Sky with this mess. Below are a few links to speedtests I've done, and I paste of my most recent detailed router stats:

TIA

Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 608 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7680 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 13.7 13.0
      Attn(dB): 30.0 20.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 2.7
      Max(Kbps): 10112 1280
      Rate (Kbps): 7680 608
      G.dmt framing
      K: 241(0) 20
      R: 14 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 241 20
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 14 16
      S: 1.0578 8.7619
      L: 1936 168
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 10024258 10024256
      SFErr: 6 0
      RS: 681649602 85206176
      RSCorr: 1087 374
      RSUnCorr: 69 0

HEC: 6 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 3086721951 0
      Data Cells: 98726957 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 4 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 24 0
      Total time = 1 days 23 hours 20 min 50 sec
      SF = 10024258
      CRC = 6
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4
      Latest 1 day time = 23 hours 20 min 50 sec
      SF = 4944055
      CRC = 4
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Latest 15 minutes time = 5 min 50 sec
      SF = 20643
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5080203
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Capped again - From Max to Mid

I am afraid you have fallen into Sky's 'fix it good' trap. Which means Sky have decided your line is not suitable for ADSL2+ so have put you on G.DMT. This means you now have a maximum d/l of 8mb. You should really have come to the forum for help before phoning Sky. There is not much you can do other than plug directly into the Test socket, run for a few days, then phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap, as your line has been fixed. They will do a test and if it is OK, put you back up. You will obviously have to do all you can to improve your internal wiring, which is probably the cause of your problems. If it is not your wiring that is at fault, it may be your line, in which case, you will be stuck with 8mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

moob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Capped again - From Max to Mid

Thanks for the input - will take this up with Sky.