Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband Stopped Working - really need help/assistance

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Stopped Working - really need help/assistance within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, Thanks for clicking to read this, I'm tearing my hair out over this! I have Sky Broadband 8mb ...

mikedodgson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Stopped Working - really need help/assistance

Hello all,

Thanks for clicking to read this, I'm tearing my hair out over this!

I have Sky Broadband 8mb wireless using sky's wireless router - been up and running for about 4 months now, no real problems.

Then, on Saturday morning I switched on my laptop, let it start up and authenticate - then I opened up Internet Explorer with my hompepage set to Google.com - and it just didn't go anywhere.

Ok I thought, I switched the laptop off, re-set the router and then bought up the laptop again - still no joy!!

So then I put a call in to Sky Technical help - did the usual thing, re-setting the router again, and nothing! Even plugged in the yellow ethernet cable to see if it was a problem with the wireless - still nothing.

They passed me on to tier 2 - who did a line test and a push test? Everything came back perfect there, my local exchange was fine too.

They eventually said it must be a problem with my anti-virus/firewall - I have norton 360 which I recently bought, so i first tried de-activateing the firewall etc - nothing again. I even completely un-installed the whole program - re-set the machine and still nothing.

It still looks to be going to google and in the bottom left of the browser it says 'Website Found.. Waiting For Reply..' - but it just doesn't work.

So i'm running out of ideas - interstingly - I am downloading a torrent using BitLord and if I open that, it starts downloading... so the net is actually working, it just seems that something is blocking IE from working?

I'm using a Sony Vaio laptopn on Vista Home Premium.

Anyone came across anything similar before or have any suggestions?

Really appreciate anyone who can help in any way.

Mike Dodgson

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Stopped Working - really need help/assistance

did they log you into the router setting page? do you have the internet light on on the router? does the router have an ip address?

to log into the router, open ur broswer and go to http://192.168.0.1 using the username of 'admin' and password 'sky'. it'll take you into the router setting page and should go to router status by default. on here there'll be a heading for adsl port. if there is an IP address under that heading starting 90.x.x.x then the router is connected fine - the issue is with ur PC settings

there have been DNS issues of late though so it might be that...

EDIT: having read what u said about torrents, it sounds like its the DNS issue - type 208.69.34.230 into ur address bar and see if it opens google...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks For your reply.

Sorry I didn't write this in my original message - yes done that with Sky yesterday - there IS an IP address underneath ADSL Port.

All lights are ok on the router - so it must be a problem with PC Settings.

To my knowledge, nothing has been changed on the computer - do you have any idea/suggestions where to look or what to change?

I opened CMD and pinged google.co.uk and it came back no problem, no packets dropped - so it is connecting.

What do you think? I'm stumped!!

Thanks

did IE open google if you type in the ip address i posted?

you could set the DNS to OpenDNS (see OpenDNS for instructions on how to do this) and it should help....

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The "Website found - waiting for reply" message in IE indicates that DNS resolution worked fine, but there was no response to the HTTP GET request.

That leaves two possibilities: firewall settings or proxy settings. To check proxy settings, press Alt, then select Tools->Internet Options. Select the Connections tab, and click on the Lan Settings button. Make sure that the "Use a proxy server for your Lan" tickbox is NOT ticked. As for firewall settings, well that depends on what security software you might have on your PC.

Of course, you're going to say, "but it was working before, and I haven't changed anything…" so I'll have to remind you that even I, with decades of working with computers, still have my "oh yeah, I forgot about that" moments. It's always worth checking the obvious things, even when you feel 100% sure you haven't changed them.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that,

Unfortunatley I'm at work at the moment until 5pm - so will first try accessing Google via their IP address as you instruct - if it doesn't bring google - what should I do? Proceed with change the DNS settings to OpenDNS in my routers homepage?

I'll do the Open DNS anyway once I get in and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for your help - if there is anything else you think may help I'm happy to listen!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mike

Thanks

think James summed it up best there, although using OpenDNS instead of the quite flaky Sky BB one is recommended IMO!!...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello James,

I will do that also - I haven't been into that part, but will certainly check tonight.

I took norton 360 off my computer all together, and even turned off Windows Firewall to prevent it from being a Firewall.

So I'll check the Proxy Settings & change the DNS Settings to Open DNS and see what happens then.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply - your a credit to the boards.

Mike Dodgson

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello Again,

For those that helped me yesterday.

I went back and changed the DNS Settings on my router homepage to those of OpenDNS, and also checked the proxy settings in side Internet Options > Connections... that was fine.

Re-started the laptop and still no joy.

Anyway - I needed the plug that the router was plugged in to, then about 2 hours later I plugged the router back in and let it boot up. I then turned on the Laptop and it connected straight away!

Not sure if changing anything did it, or it was more letting the router cool down?

Anyway - thanks for helping me along the way! :-)

tapzilla2k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oxford SMOF
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The first thing i do if i have a connection problem is to turn the router off and disconnect it and leave it like that for an hour or two. It usually cures the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)