Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Thinking of joining some questions

This is a discussion on Thinking of joining some questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looking at taking the whole Sky package out just have some questions: 1. Can you take the BB Max with ...

Kimbie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thinking of joining some questions

Looking at taking the whole Sky package out just have some questions:

1. Can you take the BB Max with the combo package?
      2. On Max are you able to host game servers, email server?
      3. What happens if you dont use the Sky supplied router?

Thanks

Kimbie

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Thinking of joining some questions

1. i think so, for extra
      2. id assume so, assuming pings are good enough
      3. if found out, your account may be suspended (if not terminated) and you'll be refused troubleshooting
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 08-10-07 at 02:56 PM. Reason: loads of typos
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

1. You can take any combination of packages you want, so you can have the most basic Sky TV subscription with Broadband Max, or the full Sky World TV subscription with Broadband Base or any combination in-between. The only requirement is that you have to have some kind of Sky TV subscription, even if it's only the most basic. The package combinations suggested on various Sky websites are just that - suggestions. You can pick and mix any combination that suits you, and you don't need to take SkyTalk if you don't want it.
      2. Well, no incoming ports are blocked and there's nothing really in the T&C's that stops you running game servers or email servers, but there's no static IP address option with Sky Broadband, which makes it less than ideal for use as any kind of a server. You wouldn't be able to operate a server for commercial gain, of course, because Sky BB is only available for domestic use. Be very careful about incoming SMTP servers to ensure you don't leave an open relay available, and to be honest, there's much, much better ways of handling email than having a mail server on an ADSL connection.
      3. You break the T&C's and you feel a bit guilty. That's all that appears to happen at the moment, but that may change. Obviously, Sky will refuse to give you any kind of support if your connection doesn't work and you're not using their router. Note that Sky do not give out the connection username and password - they are hard-coded into the router that Sky supplies.

Kimbie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your answers.

Well as long as I can open the ports up on the router then it shouldn't be a problem. I can get round the lack of static IP by using dynamic IP system.

Only asked about the router to save me updating all the wireless devices that are connected to it

Cheers

Kimbie

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There's no problem doing port forwarding with Sky's router. Even port remapping can be done - although that's a bit trickier. I have an ssh server running on my big server at home and have no trouble connecting to that when I'm away from home, using port forwarding and dyndns.org