Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PLEASE help

This is a discussion on PLEASE help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Somebody said before that I have loads of errors. I don't know what to do about it. I have one ...

jayneuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: PLEASE help

Somebody said before that I have loads of errors. I don't know what to do about it. I have one plug in the master socket, which leads to the filter. My router is plugged into the filter, along with a double socket - one for my phone and one for my sky. That's it. There are no other extensions or sockets in the house.

Can anyone please advise what I should do about the high number of errors I have?

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Hmmm... strange.

So your set up is like this:

Master socket > Filter > router & splitter adapter > Phone & Sky box

And there are definately no other sockets in the house (used or not)?

Have you tried a different filter - occaisionaly some perform better than others.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayneuk View Post

Can anyone please advise what I should do about the high number of errors I have?
      Yes.

First, determine where the errors are arising: your home phone wiring or the BT line. You'll need to run a comparison using your test socket. See the cabling and faceplate help forum.

Second, if the errors are due to your home wiring (probable), fix it. i.e. don't use a plug in extension, don't use a splitter for your phone and do fit a replacement filtered faceplate. If the errors are down to the BT line, report a voice call fault to BT.

However, problems due to line errors tend to cause a sudden catastrophic slowdown to the point where internet traffic stops. The router still reports a connection and you can log into it. Is that what you're experiencing? If your line errors are bad enough to reduce your speed from 5meg to 200k then they're bad enough to cause it to come to a complete standstill. If you're just getting a consistently very low throughput, or a variable one, look to other causes.

There are plenty of other reasons for slow download speeds and they are all discussed over and over again in the forums - together with dedicated sticky threads.
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-10-07 at 03:06 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes that is my setup jayhab. i will try another filter - thank you. maybe i should get one of those adsl faceplate things?

sorry to be so thick saturday :-( i have had a good look round the forum for help. i can't find what you mean about a comparison. all i know is that i have the same problems and the same speed in the normal socket as in the test socket. my speeds and problems are very variable. right now my speed is 4 meg. five minutes ago it was 2 meg. my noise number thing is good at the moment. it is 12.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No, you're not being thick. I hadn't noticed you'd already tried the test socket - is that mentioned elsewhere? If you're getting errors when using your test socket then that points to a probable BT line problem. But, as I said before, the problems you describe don't sound like a result of line errors to me (though they may be contributing).

To recap what I think you've said so far: you were getting 5meg download speed but now you're getting only 200mbps? And this is a wired connection?

The causes of slow throughput (download/upload) compared to sync are - in rough order of likelihood:
      • a poor wireless connection (not relevant if you're wired)
      • an overloaded test server (try this one)
      • incorrect TCP/IP settings (have you run TCPOptimizer?)
      • severe line errors (not evident in your stats in this thread but I notice a comment about bad stats in another thread)
      • other traffic on the PC/LAN at the time of testing (have you scanned for malware, do you use Anytime etc?)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

it is so confusing. its been ok all day today - back up to 4 meg. it just seems to be every now and then. used to be every evening, but not as often as that now - the connection drops to around 200mbps and also stops altogether.

i am using wireless, not wired.

yes i have run tcpoptimizer - that's wot took me to 4 - 5 meg, and made the problems less often than every night. before that i was on around 1.5 meg.

no i havent scanned for malware but i will. which scanner do u recommend? is adaware one? i used to use that but haven't done it for ages.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayneuk View Post
      i am using wireless, not wired.
      Then that's almost certainly the problem. See the wireless forum for tips on improving a wireless connection.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

still having problems - whether i use wired or wireless.

lost my connection 3 times today and had to switch router on and off several times before it would re-establish itself properly.

i noticed my noise thing drop to about 4.6. can someone please advise what i should set this to manually?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK this is really driving me mad now.

I just lost my connection for nearly an hour. I could get into router settings and it was showing as connected with the noise thing at 7.4, but I couldn't get any webpages.

I unplugged the router, tried with ethernet etc etc. Nothing worked. I rang sky in desperation, and while she was doing a line test it suddenly came back on.

No doubt it will happen again soon. This is the fourth time today. I am just about ready to give up on sky :-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12