Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lots of random disconnects

This is a discussion on Lots of random disconnects within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the last week I have been having a lot of random disconnects, I would be reading a web page ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Lots of random disconnects

For the last week I have been having a lot of random disconnects, I would be reading a web page or typing something in and I would get a "Working Offline - you haven't got an active connection the moment" box and I have to hit the reconnect button to get back online.

I haven't changed any settings and I was wondering what is going on as my wife who connects wirelessly hasn't seen any of these problems.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Lots of random disconnects

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I haven't changed any settings and I was wondering what is going on as my wife who connects wirelessly hasn't seen any of these problems.
      Is your wife on the same connection? If so then that would take the router and ADSL connection out of the equation as a possible issue. Has anything been installed, updated, changed on the PC recently?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check your ethernet cable is plugged in securely at both ends. Next time it happens, check your router lights, if the port you are using is not lit, then your adapter is dropping it's connection. If this is the case, check the cards drivers. If it is the plug in type, check that the card has not worked loose in it's slot. Re-install the drivers, with the latest available from the manufacturer. If all else fails, use another NIC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, the laptop is coming off the router so I thought that wasn't playing up and the ethernet light was staying on so I knew it wasn't the cable.

I haven't changed anything on the PC for weeks so I was at a loss what it was but have got the latest nforce 4 drivers (ha ha over a year since the last release) from the nvidea site as the Dell support site had the driver I was using.

I've stuck them on and I'll see how it goes.

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post

I haven't changed anything on the PC for weeks so I was at a loss what it was but have got the latest nforce 4 drivers (ha ha over a year since the last release) from the nvidea site as the Dell support site had the driver I was using.
      But they are graphics drivers and nothing to do with your network connection?

I would just put it down to the sky router. I have exactly the same router of my own with the latest Netgear Firmware and if I use that the connection is rock steady.

As soon as I use the Sky router I'm lucky if I get 12 hours without a reboot !! I use Bounce Back Router which just does it for me.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

silly question, but you've checked IE isn't running in offline mode haven't you?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blisteringblue View Post
      But they are graphics drivers and nothing to do with your network connection?
      Nforce4 is a motherboard chipset, and therefore has everything to do with the ethernet assuming it is running straight off the motherboard and is not a seperate PCMIA card.

Get your facts right

Thanks

To answer the questions above, yup I am running the ethernet connection on the nforce motherboard and I am not putting IE into offline mode and it's not showing up as being in that mode when it happens.

It seems to be a strange effect of the page timing out and I'm dropping offline and then having to restablish the connection, it's more annoying than anything else.

It hasn't done it since I put the new ethernet driver on and changed the ethernet cable, and swapped the port on the router that I was using. So hopefully it's got sorted.