Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Forced onto Mid package

This is a discussion on Forced onto Mid package within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A neighbour signed up for the Base (free) package, but was told there were no slots. He's been put on ...

Kempshott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Forced onto Mid package

A neighbour signed up for the Base (free) package, but was told there were no slots. He's been put on Mid (5 a month) "until a Base slot becomes available".

Now I could understand if there was no free LLU capacity on our exchange and he'd have to use Sky Connect (17) but surely Base, Mid and Max use the same exchange equipment? Or do Sky have internal quotas to meet?
      Kempshott

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Forced onto Mid package

Quote Originally Posted by Kempshott View Post
      A neighbour signed up for the Base (free) package, but was told there were no slots. He's been put on Mid (5 a month) "until a Base slot becomes available".

Now I could understand if there was no free LLU capacity on our exchange and he'd have to use Sky Connect (17) but surely Base, Mid and Max use the same exchange equipment? Or do Sky have internal quotas to meet?
      Sales will have said 'Mid' when they mean (but don't understand) 5 connect.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Or do Sky have internal quotas to meet?
      I think this is probably correct. Get his basic stats when he is connected and we will soon know. I have seen reports on the forum of users who have been put on Mid because no Max slots were available. I imagine Sky have a certain percentage of slots allocated to each speed to balance out the usage and for financial reasons. After all, you would not expect Sky to give out all the slots on an exchange for free. Income has to come from somewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Kempshott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ...Get his basic stats when he is connected...
      He reports 1740K download - well short of 8M! But we're a long way from the exchange (Basingstoke) and it's rumoured there's lots of aluminium wiring round here.
      Kempshott

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is his upload figure that is needed. 416 will indicate Mid, 448(?) Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.