Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

only getting around 2Mbps on ADSL2+

This is a discussion on only getting around 2Mbps on ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by TimeWyrm Are the Tier 2 guys as bad as the Tier 1 guys then (i.e. don't know ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: only getting around 2Mbps on ADSL2+

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWyrm View Post
      Are the Tier 2 guys as bad as the Tier 1 guys then (i.e. don't know what they're talking about ?)
      Not really fair to generalise. There are good T1 and no doubt bad T3. T2 deal with Sky's Connect service so I'm not sure really why they got involved. Presumably because they deal with BT on line issues. Doubtful that a T2 would have a clue about LLU.

Will a copy of my stats to Tier 3, be enough to convince them that it's an equipment fault (whether router or exchange fault) ?
      I've heard T3 say they'll ignore stats the user presents. They'll go from what they can see interrogating the exchange equipment.

Through my very limited knowledge (and from what the Tier 2 guy suggested) , the way I've metally figured it is:

My phoneline = A Table Top
      Noise Margin = Table Legs

If you put too much load (i.e. too much signal, like 10megs) on the table top, the legs start to buckle, and wobble (i.e. the noise margin yo-yoing), until finally they collapse (noise margin hits 0)
      Interesting analogy but not quite right. Have a look at the first sticky in my signature which explains a little about how the router negotiates a working noise margin.

2. Advertisement
      TimeWyrm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So, the router is taking a lower percentage of the snr margin, than it needs to ?

And, the percentage of the snr margin that the router uses, is called the noise margin ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

LOL - No. Did you read the sticky?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

lol, yeah I did --- Arrrrrrrgh !!!
      All I need to be worried about, is whether I have a competant T3 guy looking at my problem, right ?

There a 2 types of snr, the one the router displays, is a percentage of the other snr, and is the amount needed to run at a required speed.

And the lowest snr noise margin that the router can have (to function without any connection difficulty) is 6.9db
      Last edited by TimeWyrm; 04-10-07 at 06:01 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Out of curiosity, how long does it normally take T3 to sort the problem/contact you

Exchange:
      Thanks

There a 2 types of snr, the one the router displays, is a percentage of the other snr, and is the amount needed to run at a required speed.

And the lowest snr noise margin that the router can have (to function without any connection difficulty) is 6.9db
      Getting closer but no cigar

Apologies to any techs for the following:

Signal is the "good" part i.e. it is structured/cohesive etc and it "carries" the data. Noise is the "bad" part, background noise, a spurious signal - in effect it is unstructured and caries no discernible (or decipherable) data. Noise exists in any transmission medium and the router's task is to differentiate between the good and the bad, signal and noise.

SNR stands for Signal Noise Ratio - that is the ration between signal and noise. The higher the ratio the better, to use a poor analogy if you have a high SNR, the signal is drowning out the noise so can be easily "heard".

The figure resorted by the router as SNR or noise margin is a measure in decibels (db) of the amount of difference between what the router will consider signal and what it will consider noise. In theory when the noise margin is zero db then the signal can not be differentiated. In practice, the Sky router gives itself a margin of 6.9db, to make its job easier (to allow for changes in the background noise etc).

The router will sync at the highest speed it can for a minimum noise margin of 6.9db. If the router syncs at a higher noise margin than 6.9db then this means it has synced speed at the highest allowed by the technology, package or any cap in place.

Once synced the noise margin will change because the background noise level changes (the signal stays the same - actually that's not true but to explain is rather complex). If the background noise increases to the extent that the margin drops to below ~5db, disconnections can occur.

To answer your other question, T3 should contact you within 3-5 days but many find they don't get a call at all. Now you have a ticket number you may find it easier/quicker to call them - late night is best.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh, ok, I get it now (wink wink nudge nudge, lol !)

Is there anything I can say or do, when I phone T3, in order to point them in the right direction ?

Also, what can I say to T1 and or T2, in order to get them to pass them onto T3...

Actually, the number that T2 called me from is still on my mobile, can I call them on that and get them to put me through to T3 ?

BTW, thanks Saturday for all the help !

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the number they called you on is to a switch board which throws you back to tier 1 - and there's nothing more you can do to speed it up bar keep calling until you can get through....

when u do call though, have it setup in the master/test socket otherwise tier 3 will ask you to move it there and to call back...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, thanks.

What's the best way to get through T1 & T2 fairly quickly ?
      Last edited by TimeWyrm; 04-10-07 at 07:51 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Got through to T3 last night, who felt that it was a line issue, and they lowered me to G.DMT and capped me at 2meg. This really messed up my connection, and I had no internet all night, until I phoned them this morning. The likely hood is that it's a router issue, according to T3 this morning. It seems that the router can't hold onto the noise margin. Have to wait for the new router first though. Is there any point in me buying a router for a few days, to check if it is the router, or not ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast