Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed is not always a good thing...

This is a discussion on Speed is not always a good thing... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been on the Max package for just over a year (joined 26th September!). I thought I'd retell my experience ...

far2wired is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: KINGSMEAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Speed is not always a good thing...

I've been on the Max package for just over a year (joined 26th September!). I thought I'd retell my experience over the year for anyone experiencing loss of connection and having to reboot the router.

Initially I had connection issues, kept dropping etc. I bought a new master socket and ADSL extension. My noise ratio improved dramtically but still got drop outs (complete loss of connection). Then my connection was 7.5Mb. I phoned Sky support and they did some "tests" they rebooted the router and as if by magic I was then connected at 9.5Mb (I was told I would get 10Mb if I didnt use the wired extension!).

Since then we randonly still got cut off (in general ok but most days had to reboot around 18:00 hrs). Considering we used to be on 1Mb through Pipex we lived with this irratation. It wasnt until 3 weeks ago when I was working from home (I used Remote Desktop to get to my work PC) that I finally had enough of the drop outs and enough was enough I raised a support ticket!

This evening a chap from tier 3 phoned (finally). He checked the distance from my exchange which according to his application said it was 3.2km. According to tools I've used as the crow flies = 2.1km... That is some by road route! Based on my line attenuation of 45.5db this should be an estimated speed of 8.5Mb. He could see I was getting lots of errors and these building up were causing the connection to die.

The outcome was my connection has now been changed to 6Mb and I am to monitor for 24hrs. The connection does seem faster (compared to when it was 7.5Mb, or is this a placebo effect ). I went on YouTube and 6 minutes of video buffered in seconds rather than watching a bit, watch it stop, buffers a bit more etc. As we all know the true test is the better half saying "Tescos loaded instantly!!".
      Sky Broadband Max | Wired | Clarity modified ADSL master socket | 10m twisted pair ADSL extension

2. Advertisement
      lynda0808 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mitcham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Speed is not always a good thing...

Hi I had my line capped after the router kept disconnecting and it has been fine for just over a week no dropouts you are right speed is not always a good thing

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If the router software wasn't faulty, you wouldn't need to be capped. Capping is just a shoddy way of covering up the scandle of how broken the software on Sky's router is.

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

quote: If the router software wasn't faulty, you wouldn't need to be capped. Capping is just a shoddy way of covering up the scandle of how broken the software on Sky's router is.

Nonsence!. There are loads who have no problem yet weirldy enough they're all using the same firmware version. Try crap internal wiring, old wiring, long way from the exchange etc. It 'may' of course be one of the contributing factors that 'some' people seem to have problems.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

No, honestly, you're kidding yourself.

Do you think that the people who came up with the ADSL specs didn't think about what the ADSL signals were going to have to go through? Do you think they didn't realise that wires intended to carry a 5kHz analogue voice signal weren't going to be an ideal medium over which to carry a 2.2MHz ADSL signal?

ADSL has mechanisms to cope with the real-world problems that the signals face - interference, dodgy wiring, cross-talk, transmission characteristics that vary over the course of the day - it was all anticipated. Now if you've got a very good, short, clean phone line, then your connection won't be relying on those mechanisms to give you a stable connection. On the other hand, if your line is less than perfect, then those "coping mechanism" have to work properly if you want your connection to keep working.

Putting a manual cap on speeds is an admission that Sky's ADSL implementation isn't working properly. And the problem seems to be the firmware on Sky's routers. Capping shouldn't ever be needed, no matter how noisy or long your line is, no matter how bad your internal wiring is (well, within reason). That's not to say that things like sorting out the internal wiring won't improve things. It will give you an improved sync speed, it may even make your connection less dependent on those "coping mechanism" and thus more reliable, but it's all a work-around for the real problem.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

but needed until fixed....
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket