Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Complete Nightmare, "Error Code 300" and no way of getting help.

This is a discussion on Complete Nightmare, "Error Code 300" and no way of getting help. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, This forum seems like the right place to turn too when in a desperate situation, so hopefully you'll be ...

TheAmazingDannyKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swinton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Complete Nightmare, "Error Code 300" and no way of getting help.

Hey,

This forum seems like the right place to turn too when in a desperate situation, so hopefully you'll be kind enough to offer some 2c on my issue, or at the very least, I can let off some steam.

I was with Freeola (Reseller of Entanet) for the past 4 years. The connection they provided was very reliable, but also very expensive. Eventually it was decided that we have to change ISP to something cheaper, and having Sky+, Multiroom and Sky Talk already, Sky Broadband was the obvious choice.

16mb uncapped for 10 seemed too good to be true, and I now realise it was. I obtained a migration code, registered with Sky Broadband just fine, got all the blurb and the router through the post, and then the switchover date came.

My old router and ISP stopped working, so I plugged in the new Sky Broadband router. This is where it all went wrong.

After figuring out how to get into the Sky Broadband router I discover that although the ADSL line is active (stats below) - I am not being assigned an IP address. I found the "Sky Test" and got "Error Code 300" - after doing some Googling I discover I am now in deep ****.

Sky refuse to deal with me over the phone as the Sky account is taken in my mom's name many years ago, and she is profoundly deaf. She can not speak the Queen's and as such, it's not possible to talk to anyone at Sky, let alone get through to Tier 3. They suggest sending a letter requesting some arrangement be made so I can speak to them, but I did this before trying to fix Sky Box Office and they didn't manage to get anything sorted out, "We have no letter" and one department not knowing what the other is doing.

I have tried e-mail support but that was many days ago now and nothing.

Ever since I migrated to Sky I have not had an internet connection and I don't see how I will ever get it back. The situation of Sky support either not answering me or refusing to deal with me now means I can not get this issue fixed, I can not migrate back to my old or another ISP, and I can not get broadband.

I was shocked to read most people have had major technical issues with Sky Broadband either getting this Error 300 or other problems like their routers not turning up. I was also shocked to hear their support is as bad as it is. Their TV an other service has been great for many years, and I've always thought highly of Sky.

I now am having major doubts and may leave Sky altogether.

I have to get on the internet using T-Mobile web'n'walk - 1 a day because Sky dropped the ball. It's costing me a major fortune that I doubt I will ever get back, just for slightly-better-than-dial-up internet.

I should have 16mb to play with.

Glory be to BSkyB.

========================
      TECH DETAILS
      ========================
      Exchange: Swinton (Manchester)
      Distance: 0.8miles
      DownStream Connection Speed: 15323 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed: 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation: UP: 17.1db DOWN: 30.0db
      Noise Margin: UP: 12.0db DOWN: 8.0db

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Complete Nightmare, "Error Code 300" and no way of getting help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDannyKing View Post
      Sky refuse to deal with me over the phone as the Sky account is taken in my mom's name many years ago, and she is profoundly deaf.
      I seem to remember that Sky have a department for their disabled customers. Hopefully someone will have the details of how to contact them.

I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out, because obviously if their customer (i.e., your mother) has a problem communicating over the phone, simply saying, "well write a letter then" is an appalling case of discrimination.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      I seem to remember that Sky have a department for their disabled customers. Hopefully someone will have the details of how to contact them.

I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out, because obviously if their customer (i.e., your mother) has a problem communicating over the phone, simply saying, "well write a letter then" is an appalling case of discrimination.
      I will give credit to the Scottish lady I spoke too at Sky Customer Services on the phone. She did try and speak to people to try and find some other way we could get round the data protection issue, but eventually she did inform me that the only thing we could do was write a letter to Sky requesting that an arrangement be made, and she then said "hopefully they can help" - which was a tad disconcerting.

While the human element of Support was trying to be helpful, the red-tape was a major issue.

If there is a department for disabled customers, she did not inform me of it, but hopefully that will help.

I am writing a letter to Sky but I expect little as with last time I tried this.

From what I read online it seems people have had to wait several months to get this issue sorted, so having to go through 3-4 weeks of clearing red tape just to set those wheels in motion is making me pretty depressed, literally.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

can u get a female relative to be your mum ,and get her to give you the authority to speak to sky .my sky tv account is in my wifes name when i phoned they tried the data protection act ,so i got my daughter to pretend she was wifeie,and that as it was "all technical stuff "she left it to the alpha male [ie me] sky then changed the account for me to access it when i had to phone as "my wife" had given her permission

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr43 View Post
      can u get a female relative to be your mum ,and get her to give you the authority to speak to sky .my sky tv account is in my wifes name when i phoned they tried the data protection act ,so i got my daughter to pretend she was wifeie,and that as it was "all technical stuff "she left it to the alpha male [ie me] sky then changed the account for me to access it when i had to phone as "my wife" had given her permission
      It's not a bad idea I suppose. If they put 2+2 together though and someone at Sky questions it, I doubt saying it was an "act of God" would work - and I'd hate to make things worse.

The fact it could well be as simple as that to get round makes the entire Data Protection thing stupid anyway if you ask me. Some elements of it anyway.

Also, while this thread is here, can anyone tell me if those line stats are good or bad? Should my connection be good over those stats?

Also has anyone else had this very same issue (Error 300 with no way to get round it) - how long did it take to resolve?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I take it you have tried the 'fixes' suggested elswhere in the forum? ie. Reset the router by pushing a biro into the little hole at the back. Power up the router then switch it of for between 40 mins and 1 hour. If this does not work, phone CS and as suggested above "can u get a female relative to be your mum ,and get her to give you the authority to speak to sky." Dont worry too much about lying, Sky CS seem to do it quite often.

Your stats look very good and should give you the maximum speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I take it you have tried the 'fixes' suggested elswhere in the forum? ie. Reset the router by pushing a biro into the little hole at the back. Power up the router then switch it of for between 40 mins and 1 hour. If this does not work, phone CS and as suggested above "can u get a female relative to be your mum ,and get her to give you the authority to speak to sky." Dont worry too much about lying, Sky CS seem to do it quite often.

Your stats look very good and should give you the maximum speed.
      Yes I've been trying the regular suggestions like that for a few weeks now and nothing.

Cheers for the info on my line stats, I've never been quite sure if they're good or not. I did hear that "overloading" the line could cause Error 300, but I might be able to rule this out now? Swinton's exchange is fairly modern for a small town, so.

At least now I can look forward to trying out a good connection, once it gets connected. Looks like I'll have to go with the relative thing.

Most helpful.
      Last edited by TheAmazingDannyKing; 30-09-07 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

If you really feel you must be honest, I have come across this Sky site which deals with disabled customers. It is aimed at the TV side, but they may be of some help.-
      Sky Accessibility

The site contains phone numbers and email addresses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

SKY and the Disabled

there's a post in there from the Accessibility Team, has the numbers and an email address to write too...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

^^^^^^^
      Same site

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast