Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless connection help!!

This is a discussion on Wireless connection help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi When I refresh my wifi network list I see my sky router with an excellent signal but as soon ...

norby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208743
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless connection help!!

Hi
      When I refresh my wifi network list I see my sky router with an excellent signal but as soon as i connect this changes to very low and quite often no signal, if i sit downstairs next to the router it is excellent signal again.
      Any help would be appreciated. My bedroom upstairs is only about 10 metres from the router.

Phil

2. Advertisement
      narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Wireless connection help!!

Go in to the router settings page 192.168.0.1 user / password admin sky then select wireless settings then change the channel from 6 - 11 or from 1 - 6 sky only use 3 channels and that is 1-6-11

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Go in to the router settings page 192.168.0.1 user / password admin sky then select wireless settings then change the channel from 6 - 11 or from 1 - 6 sky only use 3 channels and that is 1-6-11
      I'm not sure where you get that idea -- ours runs on Channel 8 and will work on any channel, as far as I know. Reception may be better on certain channels but that probably depends upon local environment and interference from neighbouring wifi systems.

On the original question -- consider range (as you've observed) 50 feet or three walls is realistic indoors. Consider interference and switch to a channel (ideally) 6 stops from the strongest neighbour. Relocate cordless phone base station and video sender etc.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      I'm not sure where you get that idea -- ours runs on Channel 8 and will work on any channel, as far as I know. Reception may be better on certain channels but that probably depends upon local environment and interference from neighbouring wifi systems.

On the original question -- consider range (as you've observed) 50 feet or three walls is realistic indoors. Consider interference and switch to a channel (ideally) 6 stops from the strongest neighbour. Relocate cordless phone base station and video sender etc.
      I get the idea from Sky and Netgear and the training all be it not the best and I also work for Sky. If it continues to drop out then the wireless on the box could be faulty if it is the phase one box (white) then try to point the antenna at a 45 degree angle (dont ask it works sometimes) if you have tried the wireless channels and it is still dropping out then I would be quite sure that there is something wrong with the Sky Router. Try it and see what happens if it is still the same then give tech support a call and it may come to the end of KMS where it needs to go to Tier 2 or replacement box needed.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
      I get the idea from Sky and Netgear and the training all be it not the best and I also work for Sky.

I guess what you meant was Sky only send the router out configured to Channel 1 or 6 or 11. This doesn't rule out changing to and using eight other available channels -- I think 12 and 13 aren't authorised in Europe.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Other way round. In most of Europe (including the UK) channels 12 and 13 are available for use. It's in the USA that channels 12 and 13 aren't available.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the confusion arises because 1-6-11 are non-overlapping channels. This may give Sky support the idea that these are the only ones you can use and subsequently pass this on to users. This is incorrect as has been stated. I am afraid working with Sky does not make one an expert

Details on this can be found in the Netgear help page here-
      Improving Wireless Range: Tuning Equipment

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.