Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow download speeds

This is a discussion on Slow download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Admin edit: Created new thread. Hi guys, Superb forum, so much helpful info, I’ve now got the latest version firmware ...

Javanco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow download speeds

Admin edit: Created new thread.

Hi guys,

Superb forum, so much helpful info, I’ve now got the latest version firmware in my router!

Really hope someone in the know can help me,

Wonder if someone can help, Im not sure if I need to ring Sky and get them to sort my line, ive had sky broadband for around 7 months now and have always been disappointed with my speeds, I am approx 1km from my exchange according to samknows.

My download speeds never go above 2500kbps even in the dead of night, upload speed will typically be around 390kbps with pings of 85-90ms again in the dead of night,

I ran the checks suggested in this thread and they are as follows,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7320 kbps 518 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 24.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 9.5 db

Im pretty sure my speeds are poor and should be better, any idea if I'm correct and should be talking to SKY or BT and whether anyone knows what the prob might be? it getting rather a nuisance especially when I want to play online games.

Really hope someone can help, don’t want to ring Sky/BT barking on like a fool if my speeds are indeed normal.

Thanks

Jav
      Last edited by Saturday; 29-09-07 at 10:23 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow download speeds

There are several possible reasons for slow download speeds (compared to the router sync speed).

The most likely are that you're using wireless and have poor wireless signal quality (see wireless forum or use wired), your TCP/IP settings are incorrect (run TCPOptimizer), or you are using an overloaded speedtest server (not likely in the middle of the night but try this one anyway).

If none of these are the issue then you may have line problems. To help with these you need to post your detailed stats.

Javanco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow download speeds

Tests were done with an ethernet connection, I'll go get the detailed specs and report back later.

Many thanks

JAv