Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Moving from an unbundled ISP to Sky

This is a discussion on Moving from an unbundled ISP to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have got notification email from Sky indicating that I can move to Sky. I am currently with Nildram, and ...

IT_Contractor Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Moving from an unbundled ISP to Sky

I have got notification email from Sky indicating that I can move to Sky.

I am currently with Nildram, and my line has been unbundled (LLU - onto their kit). I have requested
      to move to sky, and requested a MAC Id. I got the MAC id but thay responded that the only other ISP
      that can accept that MAC is is ZEN.

So my question is .. does Sky accept users who have been unbundled already?, and if yes what other
      steps do i need to take to migrate to Sky.

Thanks & Regards

2. Advertisement
      zrerz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q router
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks
      lots of confusion on that question, as reading posts in adslguide, lots of folk been told many things.
      I'm on UKOnline LLU, and have been told I can (and am) moving to Sky Max, one Sky guy told me that I'll be moved off LLU to adsl, another said rubbish, that they'll remove UKOnline's LLU and replace it with their own, so sadly, untill it happens, I can't confirm either way.
      I'll report back as soon as i know more.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site IT_Contractor

Please register as it will make following your post a lot easier thanks

As zrerz has said there is a lot of confusion over this with regard to UKOnline as Sky owns them as well but it would seem that an other LLU connection has to be cease and re-provide or so a lot of the post on here would indicate.

What ever the case good luck with your move
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site zrerz

Thanks for your input and I sure hope what you have been told is correct, looking forward to seeing your update.

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by zrerz View Post
      lots of confusion on that question, as reading posts in adslguide, lots of folk been told many things.
      I'm on UKOnline LLU, and have been told I can (and am) moving to Sky Max
      Ooh. That's interesting. Could I just make sure if I'm understanding you right though. Are you saying that you're moving (you hope!) from UK Online to Sky Max WITHOUT doing a complete cesation of service with UK Online and then a totally fresh connect to Sky MAx, i.e. that Sky are accepting your MAC code from UK Online?

I ask because I am in exactly the same situation and my first (and only) call to Sky got me through to someone who just read off a list and said no, UK Online is listed as an ISP who they can't accept a MAC code from (actually, to be accurate, she told me it was on the list of ISPs who would be unable to give me a MAC code at all, but a subsequent call to UK Online disproved this).

Of course you do realise the craziness of all this since UK Online is actually part of SKy and when you switch to Sky Max you will almost certainly use the UK Online equipment in the exchange so why they can't make this transition simple I just don't know. Maybe they're deliberately trying to slow down canabilisation of UK Online revenue stream by making it difficult to go from a 24.99 8Mb UK Online service to a 10 Sky Max service.

Anyway, I'd be really interested in your clarification of my question above, i.e. did Sky accept your UK Online MAC code, and do keep us posted on progress.

- Julian

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Julian

Please register as it will make following your post a lot easier to follow and as you are in the same boat any input from you on this in future posts would be very interesting thanks.
      Ray

click here

Julian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Sorry about that. I am registered but hadn't realised I wasn't loged in. I have a few problems with the log-in aspects of this site. I find the timeout incredibly low such that it often logs me off in the middle of writing a message and then when I try to click the "log in now" link from a post it doesn't do anything (the click seems to be ignored) so I'm forced to go back to the home page and log in from there since that is the only log in that works for me. Wierd.

- Julian
      Last edited by Wheelie; 14-09-06 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sorry about that I thought that problem had been fixed I will have a word with NewsreadeR and see.
      Ray

click here

zrerz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q router
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      Ooh. That's interesting. Could I just make sure if I'm understanding you right though. Are you saying that you're moving (you hope!) from UK Online to Sky Max WITHOUT doing a complete cesation of service with UK Online and then a totally fresh connect to Sky MAx, i.e. that Sky are accepting your MAC code from UK Online?

I ask because I am in exactly the same situation and my first (and only) call to Sky got me through to someone who just read off a list and said no, UK Online is listed as an ISP who they can't accept a MAC code from (actually, to be accurate, she told me it was on the list of ISPs who would be unable to give me a MAC code at all, but a subsequent call to UK Online disproved this).

Of course you do realise the craziness of all this since UK Online is actually part of SKy and when you switch to Sky Max you will almost certainly use the UK Online equipment in the exchange so why they can't make this transition simple I just don't know. Maybe they're deliberately trying to slow down canabilisation of UK Online revenue stream by making it difficult to go from a 24.99 8Mb UK Online service to a 10 Sky Max service.

Anyway, I'd be really interested in your clarification of my question above, i.e. did Sky accept your UK Online MAC code, and do keep us posted on progress.

- Julian
      Hi Julian,

nowhere in my post did I mention using a MAC code.

What happend yesterday, recieved email from Sky, and this is what I posted on adslguide:

Im in the process of doing this now, as today, recieved email from Sky informing me that as I'm currently on LLU with UKOnline, I am able to join them on the Max 16 meg service.
      I had to ring UKOnline first, asking for the turnaround team, spoke to a lady called Rachel, who informed me that as it's all in house, so to speak, Sky firm to Sky firm, that I'm released from the remaining portion of my UKOnline contract ( roughly 6 months left to run) and witin 10 days, I'll be up and running on Sky itself (I'll report back on that as more info comes along).
      Sky meanwhile have flaged my sky account with the special BAND code sent to me via email, so as soon as the flag is removed from my line by UKOnline, they will proceed to connect me quickly.

I am currently on the 22meg LLU costing 29.99 a month, so switching to the 16meg service for 10 makes good sense to me.

keith_thfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by zrerz View Post
      I'm on UKOnline LLU, and have been told I can (and am) moving to Sky Max, one Sky guy told me that I'll be moved off LLU to adsl, another said rubbish, that they'll remove UKOnline's LLU and replace it with their own, so sadly, untill it happens, I can't confirm either way.
      I'll report back as soon as i know more.
      My understanding is that (regardless of whatever different people at SKY tell you) there will be approx 2 weeks downtime as they are not yet accepting LLU Mac codes for direct LLU>LLU migrations.

I will only believe they can handle a direct LLU>LLU migration when I see someone post on the forums who has done this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast