Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Problems - Stupidly Slow..

This is a discussion on Broadband Problems - Stupidly Slow.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically what it is i'm on the 26 a month package which im sure your all aware of what is ...

jakedix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehaven
      Broadband ISP: 26 a month package, not sure?
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Broadband Problems - Stupidly Slow..

Basically what it is i'm on the 26 a month package which im sure your all aware of what is included and my internet speed is aweful. I think its the 8mb broadband im suposed to get? and im aware that my exchange is only up to 6mb but the fastest download speed ive ever got so far is about 1.5mb. Currently im downloading a CD and its downloading it at just over 35kb/s. And it simpyl isnt because of the site im downloading as its liek this off eveyrsite i downlaod off! i often every so often come across a site were maybe it will be a bit faster but other than that its pretty much around 30-60kb/s! Also when using windows live messenger transferring files with my contacts is also a total joke, thats about 3/kbs! Does anyone have any ideas how i could sort this out? or is it basically tough luck?

Jake..

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Problems - Stupidly Slow..

Are you wired or wireless? If wireless try wired - you'll probably see a big difference.

Next up, run TCPOptimizer.

Last, run a test with this site.

If you're still not happy, post back.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You need to post your detailed router stats so we can see if there is anything a miss! Search my user name for other posts by me there are plenty where I have posted instructions on how to extract detailed stats.

jakedix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehaven
      Broadband ISP: 26 a month package, not sure?
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i can't try wired as a few month ago i was having problems with the internet disconnecting every 10minites or so like alot of people are having so i plugged my router into the test socket of the main plug and havent had a problem since but now no other phone sockets work in the house so to refrain from any problems were just leaving it at that. i have just done the optimiser now and im going to try and re-download the CD again and see if its any faster although i have just done a speed test which showed my d/l speed to be up in the 5000 area so lets hope its worked

also i tired to do the procedure to get all my router stats but after i clicked the reboot button it rebooted but the page nevwer stopped laoding after that and after i progresed through the rest of the steps and got to the downloading the file part the document had nothing more than 3 small lines of random characters.. although i will have another go now as i have just restarted my system..

thanks for the help

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extracting detailed stats dosen't involve rebooting, the utility has various functions but you only need to use two: "Get detailed stats" and "download cfg file"

Go to the utility web site: Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 Click the “Get” detailed modem stats button and click “OK”.
      Enter the router login user name and password.
      At the next screen, click the back button on your browser.
      Click the “Download” netgear.cfg button.
      What you do next depends on your operating system. On Windows XP, click the “Save” button to save the file to your hard disk. (If you click “Open”, you may find that the file association is one that doesn’t handle carriage returns the same way as the router, hence the reason for saying “Save”.)
      Open the file in WordPad (not notepad).

Also you can improve your extension wiring which is currently disconnected by making sure only pins 2 and 5 are connected in all extension sockets and to the back of the removeable master faceplate. Disconnect any extra wires as they can cause problems.

If you have rebooted the router you will need to run for a few hour with the connection in use b4 you post the stats.
      Last edited by Koala5; 27-09-07 at 06:12 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can overcome most of your internal wiring problems by fitting an ADSL Nation faceplate These are easily fitted and as they isolate your extensions at the source, you do not need loose filters on your other phones.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.