Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How Do You Recognise Being Switched From Connect to Mid Package?

This is a discussion on How Do You Recognise Being Switched From Connect to Mid Package? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone I have always found this site very useful and helpful, so hopefully you guys can help me with ...

MichaelEdens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burton on Trent
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

How Do You Recognise Being Switched From Connect to Mid Package?

Hi everyone

I have always found this site very useful and helpful, so hopefully you guys can help me with this query.

I have been with Sky using the Connect package from day one back in September 2006. I later found out my telephone line (Burton on Trent) was converted to the Sky Broadband (Mid and Max etc) in December 2006. Since then I have phoned on numerious occassions asking when my line would be switched to Sky. All that was said to me was it wont happen for a few months until they sort out problems with the line.

Fair enough I thought. Until it came to April and still no email saying I was converted. So after another call they said no later than July. And I am still waiting lol. I phoned them today and was told I have been switched over today which surprised me as I have not received any email confirmation.

So my question is "How can I tell I have actually been switched over to the Sky Mid package from the old Connect Package?"

I have carried out test at speedtest.net and it still tells me I am connected to Easynet and not Sky. And my IP address still starts with 90.*** etc. I think I remember reading last year on this forum that only connect packages have this IP address. Is this still correct?

Sorry it is a long winded post but thought I best explain everything. If you guys need further information please let me know.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How Do You Recognise Being Switched From Connect to Mid Package?

I'm on an LLU connection (BB max) and speedtest.net says my ISP is Easynet, and my IP address is 90.x.x.x

One thing that usually gives the game away is you upstream sync speed. Go to the router configuration pages at http://192.168.0.1/ and on the Router Status page (usually the page you go to first off), click on the Connection Status button at the bottom of the page. That will usually give an upstread connection speed of 416 kbps if you're on BB mid, and 576 kbps (erm, I think that's right) if you're still on BB connect.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      IThat will usually give an upstread connection speed of 416 kbps if you're on BB mid, and 576 kbps (erm, I think that's right) if you're still on BB connect.
      Upstream router syncs:

448 Connect
      416 Base
      416 Mid
      768 Max (G.DMT)
      764 Max (ADSL2+)

Sometimes these vary but they tend to be right for 99%+ of Sky connections.

MichaelEdens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burton on Trent
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thank you to both of you for replying.

I have looked on the router sync speeds and indeed it has changed from 448 to 416. So it does look like after a year I am finally on the Mid package.

I was thinking of moving to Max packge, but the Sky bloke recommended not to as the line only copes with 5Mb download speeds, so I would only get the unlimited option for double the price. So after all this time waiting for the conversion to the proper Sky packages, it seems I cannot take advantage of it. Are there other people who has had the same problem?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was thinking of moving to Max packge, but the Sky bloke recommended not to as the line only copes with 5Mb download speeds
      I can hardly believe it, there are some CS bods with a bit of honesty and sense.

You will find that although it is still 'up to 8 mb' that the speed is usually more consistent and you will not be throttled as you would be on Connect(BT).

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelEdens View Post
      Thank you to both of you for replying.

I have looked on the router sync speeds and indeed it has changed from 448 to 416. So it does look like after a year I am finally on the Mid package.

I was thinking of moving to Max packge, but the Sky bloke recommended not to as the line only copes with 5Mb download speeds, so I would only get the unlimited option for double the price. So after all this time waiting for the conversion to the proper Sky packages, it seems I cannot take advantage of it. Are there other people who has had the same problem?
      I'm in your boat too, recently swapped from BT and was going to go straight for max, however I am 3km from the exchange so knew there was no way I would get over 8mb.

Decided the extra 5 was better in my pocket that Mr Murdocks, only thing I'm missing is unlimited downloads (I'll never do 40gb anyway) and the extra upstream kbps but I will see how I get on.
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Michael, if you can get logged on at Sky.com it will tell you what package you are own although if it is know 416 it is as said above, deffinately Mid.