Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Changed my Internet Settings? HELP

This is a discussion on Sky Changed my Internet Settings? HELP within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I have been having an email communication with Sky broadband since the 2nd August for intermittent internet connecitons, this ...

NeilHewett is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLOUGH CENTRAL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Changed my Internet Settings? HELP

Hello,

I have been having an email communication with Sky broadband since the 2nd August for intermittent internet connecitons, this boiled over into speed issues with me looking to get the maximum speed possible on my broadband connection.

I purchased a Filtered Master face place and managed to get near enought another meg download speed. Emailing Sky i asked if there was anything they can do to get as close to the 16 that I was paying for (joke). With this they decided to change some settings on my internet connection (Tech Supp Communicating with Tier 3 department?) I now have half the upload connection and a slower download connection. Also when downloading files off the internet (Torrents) they are slower, playing online with my Xbox (especially a Rainbow 6 Las Vegas) i have a bad ping when creating a match. Is there anything anyone can do.....I have emailed Sky 3 times since they changed the settings on Saturday also called Sky and spoke to someone who wouldnt give me the help i was looking for withoyut a password i couldnt remember setting up.

If anyone could help i would be greatly appreciative
      Reference numbe on email. (KMM383739I24418L0KM)

Kind regards
      Neil

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Changed my Internet Settings? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHewett View Post
      i asked if there was anything they can do to get as close to the 16 that I was paying for (joke).
      First, surely you know that what you're paying for is an up to 16meg connection. Your actual connection is determined by line length and line quality. There's nothing Sky can do about that. Or are you making a joke?

Second, no point telling us your email reference number. We're nothing to do with Sky. This is an independent, unofficial help forum.

Third, post your stats and someone may be able to offer advice.
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-09-07 at 01:37 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky Changed my Internet Settings? HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      First, surely you know that what you're paying for is an up to 16meg connection. Your actual connection is determined by line length and line quality. There's nothing Sky can do about that. Or are you making a joke?

Second, no point telling us your email reference number. We're nothing to do with Sky. This is an independent, unofficial help forum.

Third, post your stats and someone may be able to offer advice.
      Thanks, and yes i was joking, I know about line atenuation etc etc, i was geting around 8meg and the max upload, the max upload has halved and the download has gone down to close to 6meg. So want it put back. I dont think theres anypoint in posting stats as really i just want to speak to someone who aint gonna ask for a password, as i hung up on the last person who asked me that, a) dont want to give a password over the phone, b) dont remember setting one up and what it is if i have.

Sorry should have explained more. Stats below anyway.

Now
      ADSL Link Downstream / Upstream
      Connection Speed 6144 kbps / 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db / 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.4 db / 13.0 db

Before Sky changed settings
      ADSL Link Downstream / Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps / 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db / 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db / 14.0 db

Neil

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks like your connection has been re-profiled (capped).

You may not want to speak to Sky but that's your only choice. Anyway, what's the point of putting the phone down on someone who asks for a password - they're only doing their job

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Looks like your connection has been re-profiled (capped).

You may not want to speak to Sky but that's your only choice. Anyway, what's the point of putting the phone down on someone who asks for a password - they're only doing their job
      It sounded like someone on a mobile and i did ask several times if I give any more information other than that. He wasn't having it and neither was I.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It's just a password used to identify you to Sky staff over the phone, nothing more than that. The worst that could happen if some unauthorised person got hold of it is that they could change your Sky TV subscriptions.

If they asked for a password, then one must have been set up, and you would have had to tell them the word you wanted to use on the phone. If no password had been set up, they would have asked you to set one up.

If you can't remember your password, call 0870 240 4040 and explain the situation to them.

Shonky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The following is a copy of email from sky ref my "up to 8 Meg" service.

In my response I advised that the BT connection ran at 6 Meg consistently so I am unable to understand why they have capped me at 4 Meg.

Any thoughts?

Dear Mr Aston,

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

Having checked your account information, the issue you are experiencing is due to the speed of the data transfer being too high for your telephone line to support it.

We can resolve this for you by making adjustments to the speed at which data is transferred on your line.

Having checked your account information, the issue you are experiencing is due to the speed of the data transfer being too high for your telephone line to support it.

We can resolve this for you by making adjustments to the speed at which data is transferred on your line.

We have capped your line to 4Mb/s from 8; this has proven to be more stable than before.

I would appreciate it if you could monitor this connection over the course of 24 hours to ensure this stability remains.

If you need further help or information, please reply to this email or contact us on 08705 515 515.

As part of Sky’s commitment to continual improvement, please take a few moments to complete a short confidential questionnaire. This will provide us with feedback on the Technical Support we provide by email.

Simply Click here to start.

Kind regards

Peter
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky
      Sky.com - Home

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone.
      Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks.
      SKY and the SKY marks are trade marks of British Sky Broadcasting Group plc and are used under licence. British Sky Broadcasting Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky Interactive Limited (Registration No. 3554332), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075) and Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of British Sky Broadcasting Group plc (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way , Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Enquiry:

* I am having technical difficulties
      * Connection
      * Slow Connection

Compared with my BT 8Meg Broadband the Sky MID 8meg package is not performing at all in fact after 20.00hrs it is so slow that I have given up trying to use it. I have a dedicated BB socket and had NO PROBLEMS with the BT service. I use Firefox Browser and have a wireless connection to my high spec PC running XP Home

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you gonna have to call them as emails will only be dealt with by tier 1 and if the BT checkers says line is capable of 4MB then thats what they'll say. you need tire 3...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I finally got it esclated to Tier 3 yesterday. Call 08705 515515 go through the relevant options to get to broadband connection issues. They are open till 11pm and the Tier 3 depart are open 24hrs but you can only speak to them through the number above. Remember your password, i have forgotten mine but they did ask for other information to authenticate me.

Make sure your infront of the PC to access your router config as they will ask you to try a few things first, (i said to them my connection had been capped and i wanted it taken off and they wouldnt listen to me and had to go through a few checks).

They will escalate it to Tier 3 once the above has been answered, when they tried to put me through to Tier 3 they could not get hold of them so gave me a TICKET NUMBER to call back with.

OPtions on phone options 1 then 3 then 2
      Hope that helps
      Last edited by NeilHewett; 28-09-07 at 12:37 PM.