Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Plusnet BT MaxDSL -> Sky 8Mb Migration Transfer Complete!

This is a discussion on Plusnet BT MaxDSL -> Sky 8Mb Migration Transfer Complete! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just thought i'd share a few thoughts, for anyone who cares ;-) I was driven to migrate from PlusNet because ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Plusnet BT MaxDSL -> Sky 8Mb Migration Transfer Complete!

Just thought i'd share a few thoughts, for anyone who cares ;-)

I was driven to migrate from PlusNet because of their sustainable usage policy. I agree with what they needed to do, and the peak-time usage limits had no impact on me. However, my perception was of a lack of core bandwidth with some pretty poor traffic-shaping. On the BT MaxDSL product, after upgrading to the latest Netgear DG834G firmware to stop the constant disconnects, i'd usually sync at 484k/5500k with max download speed around 3.6Mbit/s. I saw it was low as 1.5Mbit/s during the day (i work at home).

Anyway, had an easy migration to Sky 8Mbit/s product. Just waiting for PlusNet to act on the cease and terminate my account and billing. It was activated a day late on the 13/9, rather than 12/9.

I planned to use the my existing DG834G because i couldn't be bothered to reconfigure the sky box with all my wireless devices. Flashing to get the username/password works fine and although the sync on the DG834G looked good at around 385k/6000k and downloads at 4.5Mbit/s, the stability was poor.

I've swapped to the Sky modem now, and sync is up to 385k/6998k with downloads at 5.4Mbit/s - and the connection is rock steady. Low pings, feels vastily more responsive than PlusNet's infrastructure.

Given that I had the latest Netgear ADSL microcode on the DG834G, and it's still unstable, I think that unless you have a more compelling reason to do otherwise, using the Sky DG8934GT is the sensible way forward. It's obviously been through a proper IOT with the LLU DSLAM (EasyNet in my case), and it's based on a quality Netgear model.

Just my tuppence.

Rich.

P.S staying anonymous for T&C reasons, and this isn't my Sky IP address :-)

2. Advertisement
      Kansalis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMHY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Glad to hear your migration went well Rich. I'm in the same boat as you but still in the middle of getting away from Plusnet.

How long did you have to wait after the Plusnet cease before Sky would order your new connection? I just finally managed to get my cease date for the 20th from Plusnet yesterday, after playing ticket-tennis with them for over 2 weeks. Check out my Blog linked in the my sig for the troubles I've been having...
      Kansalis

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Rich

I understand why you don't want to register just yet but please do when your ready.

Glad to see you got have a good connection using the sky supplied router as there seems to be a few on here that are having some real problems with theres.

@Kansalis
      Don't you just love the ticket tennis (NOT)

Hope you get sorted soon as well

Good luck to both of you.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Ah, i wasn't LLUed on PlusNet. Only Easynet LLU is available in my local exchange, so they couldn't put me on Tiscali.

Got MAC code within a day on raising a ticket, that was the 31/8. Rang sky same day - so it's been a fortnight start to finish.

Hope you get it sorted..
      Rich

alyt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanks for the info mate, i think im migrating today or tommorow, nice to know it went wll for you and fingers crossed ill have an eay and problem free migration to.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I hope it all goes smoothly for you alyt do keep us upto date.
      As you may have gathered we are all noisy on this site

@Rich
      That was one good think in your favour then
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

martyn_16v is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Kansalis View Post
      I just finally managed to get my cease date for the 20th from Plusnet yesterday
      Lucky beggar, mine isn't til the 3rd of October I'm sure they deliberately waited until the day after my billing date to sort it out just for a laugh, so i'm stuck with them for a whole month more. Hey ho, i'm spanking the connection for all it's worth until then, stuff the SUP what are they going to do about it?

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Just tell them they owe you a months bandwidth!

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I thought you meant Plusnet MaxDSL > Sky 8mb

Had me worried for a minute