Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all. I came across this great site after a quick search on Google after installing my Sky BB on ...

Manc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denton - Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

Hello all. I came across this great site after a quick search on Google after installing my Sky BB on Monday.

Background :- I finally made the leap from Cable back to ADSL after numerous years of throwing my money at NTL/Virgin. I was one of the original BT ADSL users & stayed with it for only 12 months as I was on HG15 which for those that don't know was a gateway that caused lots of people in my area to have dial-up type speeds for around 9 months. So after reading good reviews & knowing a few people who made the switch to Sky I decided to do the same. As I already had the TV service I called Customer Support & was sold on the spot after being told my exchange was enabled for the Max 16mb package. So I ordered a new line via BT (they removed the old one & the exchange had been upgraded in the meantime so I had to pay 130) & once the line was in place I ordered my Sky BB. However when I called to do this I was told that unfortunately my exchange hadn't yet been upgraded with Sky's kit & therefore I had to go with the connect package. I was angry but was assured it was on the horizon. I was told yesterday that the exchange has now been done & the migration will start within the week.

So I've now installed the kit after having it since the 15th (still had a month left of Virgins 20mb service) & being a bit of a speed freak ran several tests, all of which told me my download speeds were maxed at 2mb & upload at 350k. So I rang Tech support as it sounded like the line was capped, they advised that a speed test on the 15th stated that my current line was capable of 6mb & maybe higher & that I was definitely on the 8mb package. I had checked the routers stat page & it does show a downstream of 8128 kbps & upload of 448 kbps. I explained this to the techie on the phone & he ran some more tests, all returning around 6mb. He advised of the 10day thing (something I'd read about earlier on here) but to leave it a few days & if the problem persists to call back.

Now so far I have read lots of posts in here & tried various things as per below:-

I have an ADSL v1 BT socket on my master & only phone socket. I removed the face plate & plugged directly into the socket but the speeds remain the same.
      I have checked the Line Attenuation which is at 20.0db & the Noise Margin is 9.9db
      I live less than half a mile from the exchange.
      I have tried 2 different ethernet cables to my main PC with the same results
      My wireless lappy also returns the same results

Below is the data from the Netgear Utility & the Speednet results.

I would appreciate any advice that you could offer & apologies if I have waffled on to long

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 9.8 25.0
      Attn(dB): 20.0 11.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 9248 1144
      Rate (Kbps): 8128 448
      G.dmt framing
      K: 255(0) 15
      R: 0 0
      S: 1 1
      D: 1 1
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 255 15
      M: 1 1
      T: 1 1
      R: 0 0
      S: 1.0000 1.0000
      L: 2048 128
      D: 1 1
      Counters
      SF: 3573098 3573096
      SFErr: 10 16
      RS: 0 0
      RSCorr: 0 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 8 8
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 1164429017 0
      Data Cells: 24467019 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 9 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 79 0
      Total time = 16 hours 53 min 59 sec
      SF = 3573098
      CRC = 10
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 1 day time = 16 hours 53 min 59 sec
      SF = 3573098
      CRC = 10
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 59 sec
      SF = 31700
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

you're on Connect, which is a re-branded BT service (prob cause your exchange hasn't been unbundled). As such, BT control the speed of the line and it could be that although syncing at 8MB, they may have set the line to 2MB....To get this remedied you need to get in touch with tech support tier 2 to get a fault logged to BT to remove the cap they seem to have put on it...

Has the 10 day bedding in finished yet? Might actually go up if u leave it but not sure...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have just plugged in the router (kit?), then you are just starting your 10 day training period, during which the BT equipment carries out 'tests' on your line. During this time the speed will go up and down until it stabilizes. If you have not already done so, keep the router plugged directly into the Test socket. This will eliminate faults which may be caused by your internal wiring.

If your line is reasonably clear you should get the maximum download speed available. ie 8mb - less overheads. If you have an old Ver 1, ADSL faceplate, I would advise you to replace it with an up-to-date one. You will get the full benefit when you are moved to the Sky service.

EDIT _ I meant to add, don't bother phoning Sky till your 10 days are up, you will just be wasting your money;-)
      Last edited by Isitme; 26-09-07 at 03:59 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I only installed the router on Monday so I'm well within the 10 days. I'll wait & see if the speed increases, however as they advised my exchange has now been unbundled & Sky are ready to migrate users over to there service from BT's hopefully both my problems will be solved before the 10 days are up ... I can dream I suppose

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well being the impatient man that I am I read a few more posts about trying to improve my speeds, I therefore ran the Optimiser & it knocked 1mb from my speeds, getting less than 1mb now .... or so I thought. I ran the speed tests on my laptop, which I didn't make any changes on (ran the optimiser on my PC only), and get the same even crappier speeds.

I truly hope that this is just a standard run of the mill thing for the 10 day trial thing, if not I'm gonna get very angry very quickly.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line Speed Checker (ADSL)
      We have determined your line is capable of upto 2mb or 2000Kbps.
      Full Details:
      1 & 2mb available
      500Kbps/256Kbps available
      ADSL MAX (upto 8mb) is available.
      Please note: the speed given is just an estimate, factors other than line length will impact your speed.
      This test will only for upto 8MB products (ADSL Max), LLU services can go upto 24mb

The above is taken from the line checker on this site. Is it a normal speed test or something else ? I really do think I'm being capped at 2mb!

Sorry to keep going on about this, I just can't stand being taken for a mug & thats just how I feel at the moment.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I had a similar problem when I switched from a fixed 2Mbit connection up to ADSL Max (this is before I moved to Sky, you understand). My modem was syncing perfectly at 8Mbit/sec, but BT has fixed my BRAS profile to 2Mbit/sec, so that's as fast as I can effectively get out of my supposedly 8Mbit/sec connection.

The problem was subtle. My router had been plugged in and working when they switched me over from fixed 2Mbit/sec to ADSL Max. When the switch over happened, the router got itself in a bit of a "tizz" and BT's profiling decided that 2Mbit/sec was the fastest it was going to work at. But the router quickly settled to syncing at 8Mbit/sec. In fact it settled down so quickly that BT's systems didn't register the fact that it had changed speed.

Now this BRAS profile thing only changes when a change in sync speed occurs, but because the line was good enough to sync at 8Mbit/sec every time, no change was ever detected and the BRAS profile didn't get updated, so it remained permanently different from the actual sync speed.

I could have phoned up my ISP and got them to speak to BT, but who knows how quickly they would have done anything about it, if they actually chose to do anything anway. So I decided I was going to have to "trick" the BRAS profiling into updating itself.

I got an old dial-up modem cable that had an RJ11 connector at one end and a normal BT connector at the other. Using that I was able to plug my router in the phone system without using a filter. In fact I actually plugged a normal phone splitter into the test socket and plugged the router and a telephone into that. This improper setup was bad enough to cause the router to connect at a 6Mbit/sec rather than the usual 8Mbit/sec. "Ahah!" the BRAS profiler said to itself, "Your sync speed has changed, so I'm going to update your BRAS profile to 6Mbit/sec to match it."

So that got me up from 2Mbit/sec to 6Mbit/sec. Next I put all the phone wiring back to how it should be and reconnected the router using the proper ADSL cable. This time it synced at 8Mbit/sec (as expected), but because that was a different speed from the previous time, the BRAS profiler responded by updating my profile again, this time to 8Mbit/sec. Sorted.

I know it's a bit of a fiddly way of sorting it out, but if you're desparate to get it fixed quickly, it might be worth a go.
      Last edited by James67; 27-09-07 at 01:56 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice James. I tried it as I had the same style modem cable in one of many boxes full of old PC crap, however I still got the same speeds as I'm getting now. I did get slightly slower speeds when plugged into an extension socket rather through the test socket, but not enough I assume to force the BRAS profiler to wake up & realise it's taking the michael out of me.

I am fairly certain your theory is spot on though, the constant near 2mb limit shows on all my tests & as I am such a short distance from my exchange thats something I'd expect if I was on a 2mb package. Therefore I should get near 8mb if the thing sorts itself out & then when I'm migrated hopefully as close to 16mb as can be expected. Doesn't help me now though

Once again thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sounds like a "stuck" BRAS profile. This can happen with very good/short lines which yours appears to be when migrating from fixed to ADSL Max.

Run the test here. If you get 2000 across more than a couple of days then you have a stuck BRAS profile and you need to call Sky to ask BTwholesale to reset your IP profile.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that Saturday, ran the test earlier & got just short of 2000 & expect the same tomorrow too. I think I'll probably call Sky tomorrow anyway, the original techie I called suggested to give it a few days rather than the whole 10 so I'll kindly oblige.

Once again thanks for the reply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast