Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, that's pretty good for an 8Mbit link really. Remember that some of your 8Mbit is taken up by networking ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

Well, that's pretty good for an 8Mbit link really. Remember that some of your 8Mbit is taken up by networking overheads. What speed is your router connecting at?

2. Advertisement
      Manc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denton - Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connects at 8.4mb.

Just ran a few more tests & dropped down to 2.5mb ... Is that because it's now testing the connection like it should of done at the beginning you think ?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hmmm, no testing is done on the line once it's connected. It's only while the connection is being set up that any tests are being carried out.

Not sure if I can account for the sudden drop in speed. The speedtest.net site gets quite heavily loaded sometimes and that can give misleadingly low results - but not usually that low. Give the Namesco speed tester a try instead: Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've been using the Namesco one too.

It seems to be up & down like the proverbial pair of knickers. I'm probably getting to paranoid now so I think I'll just run one or two at different times of the day.

The last test was 6.2mb, the one before that was down to 4mb. I'll see if it evens itself out over the next few days, if not I'll be on the phone to them again (I bet I have a black mark against my name already).

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a quick update to say that my speed has been constant from last night & all day today at 6.7mb so I'm happy now.

As I've been told that my exchange has been unbundled I'll be back on the phone to them in a week or two if I've not had a letter about being migrated, but for the time being I'm very pleased at getting 6.7mb from a 8mb line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123