Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When Sky put a customer on to Connect they should supply a letter containing full instructions on what is happening. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Connect - only getting 2mb speeds despite all stats showing as 8mb

When Sky put a customer on to Connect they should supply a letter containing full instructions on what is happening. The training period for ADSLMax is important and messing about with the connection before it has 'trained' can result in poorer performance than possible. This is the advice given on the Plusnet site regarding the 8Mb Max service which is the same as Sky Connect.

Should I expect teething problems when I first get 8Mb?
      In the first 10 days following your upgrade, you will see your speeds vary, and commonly may experience disconnections and some instability of your connection. This is perfectly normal and if possible you should be prepared for it.
      Tests are carried out during this period to see what speed your line can support. It's important that you frequently make new connections to the Internet during this 10 day period so these tests can take place.
      It’s a good idea to disconnect your modem or router when doing this – this will force your equipment to reconnect. The simplest way to do this is to switch your equipment off, and then on again. If you’re using a router, make sure you switch the power to your router off and on again. After 10 days, your speeds will stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Manc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Denton - Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update:-

This has now been passed to Tier 3. I rang Tech Support again this afternoon & the 2nd person I spoke to, a nice Irish fella, the first was clearly an overseas call centre reading from a script & was repeating everything I said & spoke to me like some sort of nubin. He stated that my line had been definitely capped at 2.5mb & he had no idea why. He did try to put me through to Tier 3 but the queueing time was to long. I now have a ticket number & he said they would call me back tonight around the time I specified but to call them quoting the ticket if not.

I'll post an update as & when but I'd again like to thank you for the replies & useful posts I have read on here, as a consequence I had a response to everything they asked me to do as I had already done it.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update 2

After ringing & getting told to ring back twice I eventually got put through to Tier 3, result I thought, how wrong was I. As I am Offnet I needed to go to Tier 2 first as Tier 3 cannot make any changes to my line

So I get passed back to Tier 1 who have to run through the whole logging process again, for the 5th time, asking all the same questions, again. At this point my blood is beginning to boil.

I then got passed through to Tier 2 & then went through the whole bloody process again. In the end I got told that I am definitely on a 2.5 mb package ... I said no I'm on a "Up to 8mb package & my line test states I can get at least 6.5mb" .. the rep said that my package has been capped to 2.5mb & thats all he can tell me. He suggested I contact Sky tomorrow to see when I'm migrated as he couldn't put me through as they close at 9pm.

So thats it. At the moment I am beyond annoyed. I was mis-sold the service in the first place by being told I could get 16mb from the off when my exchange had yet to be unbundled, I then get the 8mb connect package as I'm assured it won't be long until my exchange is ready (which was correct as it is now unbundled). Then I get a constant 2mb connection on a 2.5mb capped line thats more than capable of 6.5mb. I've spent hours on the phone being passed from pillar to post to be eventually told "tough it's 2.5mb until you get migrated" !!! Disgusting service, total joke !!!

I just feel sorry for the people that recommended me to Sky as I'll probably be chewing there ear's off for quite some time.

Thanks

Did you tell the tech you spoke to that you were were still in the 10 day training period? If you had, you would not have been put through to Tier 3. Tier 2 deal with Connect by communicating with BT, who are the only ones who can fix your line profile, you were advised of this in Post 2. Did you read my previous post, if BT think your line is training they will do nothing. Have you been power cycling your router to allow it to re-sync?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you tell the tech you spoke to that you were were still in the 10 day training period? If you had, you would not have been put through to Tier 3. Tier 2 deal with Connect by communicating with BT, who are the only ones who can fix your line profile, you were advised of this in Post 2. Did you read my previous post, if BT think your line is training they will do nothing. Have you been power cycling your router to allow it to re-sync?
      Yes I did tell them I was in the 10 day trial. His response was that the trial period only really lasts no longer than 3 days max. He also said that he was passing me to Tier 3 as they can take the cap off the line for me. Tier 3 stated they couldn't do that as they weren't able to do anything with my line (like you said, that'll be BT's bit) & that he needed to put me back on to Tier 2.

Whilst I really appreciate your posts I'm not stupid enough to think that after 2 days I would get a proper connection if the line was being tested for speeds. However I have been on ADSL before, as soon as it was available in my exchange many years ago, & experienced nothing but grief after a few months. I am not prepared to play the waiting game this time, especially as it's blatantly obvious to me, & other posters on here, that my line has been capped (since confirmed by Sky). I know exactly what to say to CS people (I'm an IT Support Desk Manager/Incident Manager - former Tech Support) & I'm well aware of there standard practises but not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I came to these boards seeking advice from people that are experienced with Sky's service, far better than trawling through tons of threads on ADSLGuide.org & so far people have been really friendly & not condescending in anyway.

I also find reading posts such as mine can help others in the same situation in the future, hence the level of detail, but if this is annoying I'll just post back when & if I have a resolution.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I've haven't given up on the idea that your BRAS profile is sticking at 2Mbit/sec because your sync speed isn't changing. (I think all this talk about tests being carried out is just how the customer service people just like to conceptualise the process to their less technically-minded customers).

But I've had an idea. Go to the Mognuts utility page at Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and whack the target noise margin right up to 20db. Hopefully that should get you syncing at a slower rate which will trigger a BRAS profile update.

Let's say the router ends up syncing at 4Mbit/sec. Check the download speeds on your favourite speedtest site and check that you're now getting a download speed of more than 2Mbit/sec. Once you've got that, use the Mognuts utility page to put the target noise margin back to 7db, and - cross you fingers - your BRAS profile will have risen to 8Mbit/sec.

I seem to remember it takes a bit of perseverance to get all this to happen.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks James, I'll try that later & let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Yes I did tell them I was in the 10 day trial. His response was that the trial period only really lasts no longer than 3 days max. He also said that he was passing me to Tier 3 as they can take the cap off the line for me.
      This just confirms that Sky support below Tier 3 is a joke. There may be some in T2 who know their job, but they seem to be few and far between. I hope you have some success with James' idea, but it is a pity you have to go to this trouble as BT could fix it with the 'flick of a switch'. It is one more example of the lack of co-operation between Sky and BT. I have seen cases like this when I was with Plusnet that were resolved in a matter of minutes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      I've haven't given up on the idea that your BRAS profile is sticking at 2Mbit/sec because your sync speed isn't changing. (I think all this talk about tests being carried out is just how the customer service people just like to conceptualise the process to their less technically-minded customers).

But I've had an idea. Go to the Mognuts utility page at Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and whack the target noise margin right up to 20db. Hopefully that should get you syncing at a slower rate which will trigger a BRAS profile update.

Let's say the router ends up syncing at 4Mbit/sec. Check the download speeds on your favourite speedtest site and check that you're now getting a download speed of more than 2Mbit/sec. Once you've got that, use the Mognuts utility page to put the target noise margin back to 7db, and - cross you fingers - your BRAS profile will have risen to 8Mbit/sec.

I seem to remember it takes a bit of perseverance to get all this to happen.

Genius

It worked ... well either that or it was an amazing coincidence & Sky contacted BT at the same time as I had upped the noise margin, rebooted the router, tested, then set it back down again. Nothing the first time so I did it again & voilà, 6mb download which is what the original CS guy told me I should expect until I get on Max from Connect.

Very pleased & very grateful to you all, but especially James, you're a star mate, thanks.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

One last question, shall I do a few router reboots over the next few days to see if it sync's higher still ? Below is my latest stats from speednet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast