Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tier 3 - Max Delays Update

This is a discussion on Tier 3 - Max Delays Update within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We have been tipped off that Sky will no longer change the MAX Delays settings on your profile, ie changing ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Tier 3 - Max Delays Update

We have been tipped off that Sky will no longer change the MAX Delays settings on your profile, ie changing it to 8 instead of 32.

As it is not an official procedure, Sky agents will be unable to change when you ring up and complain about pings for gaming.

Rumour has it that a person got into trouble for trying to help customers out, who were suffering horrendous gaming pings, as his call was recorded and then obviously listened to by senior management.

We are on the side of Gamers, and fully support the argument re the pings, and just wish that Sky would reconsider their stance on this issue. Remember also, that the person on the phone, is just following company procedures and does not expect or want to lose their job for changing this setting to keep you happy.

The only way we could win this argument is to show Sky that there is such a demand for a Gamers' profile and try to reach a stage of discussion or interaction on the subject.

Please keep all discussion to this thread, and hopefully Sky will take notice.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      plank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tier 3 - Max Delays Update

In the code of practice:

Sky.com - Customer Support>Broadband>Article

It says

Sky Broadband Max provided you stay within the limits of fair use you can get unlimited downloads of music, movies, sports clips and online gaming.
      Cant we argue that this is stating that games should be playable? If the pings are too high could this be breaking there own COP?

Dan

Focus2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Does that only apply to Max users? is ping ok for Max users or you having the same problem?

Would it be worth (if poss) putting a Poll on this thread to see how many un-happy gamers there are?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, I'm not a gamer myself, but I was getting typical ping times to UK servers of about 20ms when I was on 8Mbit/sec ADSL with Nildram. On 16Mbit/sec with Sky, that's gone up to 30ms. The sheer speed of the connection does appear to offset at least some of the additional latency caused by interleaving.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Focus2000 View Post
      Would it be worth (if poss) putting a Poll on this thread to see how many un-happy gamers there are?
      Unfortunately I cannot add a poll once the thread has been posted, I have however added one here.

Gamers Poll

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plank View Post
      Cant we argue that this is stating that games should be playable? If the pings are too high could this be breaking there own COP?
      The biggest problem here, is for a lot of people they are acceptable. The players on Team Sky User are predominately on Sky Broadband and all have pings between 25 - 50 (which is playable imho)

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

it seems to me that after my year with Sky Broadband, i'll be only too happy to go elsewhere. They have no customer service. Also for these reasons:

1. Absolutely shocking overall performance
      2. Restricting an 8Mb line to 4Mb for no reason
      3. Failing to call you back when you phone complaining
      4. Refusal to meet customer requirements i.e fastpath, max delays etc
      5. Not going the extra mile to keep thier customers
      6. For having the cheek to tie the direct debit into your tv package so you cant threaten to cancel it.
      7. And finally for jumping on the Broadband bandwagon when they had no idea what they were doing.

Sky used to be a company i was proud to have in my home, however my experience with their broadband package has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Dont get me wrong, thier Tv package keeps me happy, but the net connection side of things is terrible. Constant drops, disconnections, capped lines, poor customer service and putting the blinkers on and shying away from the problem, is the reason i'll be switching come December.

I hope Sky reads that!!!

plank is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree with some but.

1. Absolutely shocking overall performance

I have been connected for a month, and am quite please.

2. Restricting an 8Mb line to 4Mb for no reason

Where do they do this? You cannot expect to get 8meg through a contended ADSL line. I am sure somewhere on there site they will publish there contention. If its connection speed (sync speed?) then that is an issue.

4. Refusal to meet customer requirements i.e fastpath, max delays etc

So if you brought from a car company a car, yet they didnt give me free A/C and sat-nav would you complain? Did they ever when you signed up tell you to expect fastpath or max delays? Did you ask? Did they lie to you?

7. And finally for jumping on the Broadband bandwagon when they had no idea what they were doing.

If i am not mistaken they brought easynet? Which have MANY years of experiance. I think the problems you are finding (bad customer service) boils down to 3 things. Firstly outsourcing to poeple who dont know what they are talking about. Secondly getting enough people to help answer phones. Getting more tier 3 support, and get it direct to the customer.

By no means am i a sky advocate - but I believe some of the things discussed above are maybe harsh!

Dan

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To get back on topic.

Newsreader as the "Dear Sky Broadband" thread below didn't have any effect do you think this one will?

Dear Sky Broadband

To anyone from Sky that does read this, i am one of the of many gamers who has not yet joined Sky for the simple reason i do not want to risk losing my on-line gaming for 12 months.

I will be more than happy to sign up for the 26 package as soon as this issue is sorted,until then i will keep an eye on the forums and wait for the powers that be to see sense and allow gamers to be put on fast-path if they request it.

Its your call but think how many customers read threads all over the internet in forums that say "Do not go with Sky Broadband if you are a gamer" believe me there are more than you can shake a stick at.
      Last edited by maxping; 26-09-07 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxping View Post
      To get back on topic.

Newsreader as the "Dear Sky Broadband" thread below didn't have any effect do you think this one will?

Dear Sky Broadband
      I think so, have a look here:

Sky Have Listened To The Gamers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast