Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Plee for help from new Sky BB Customer

This is a discussion on Plee for help from new Sky BB Customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys Sorry for the long winded post ! I've recently moved house, and we were previously with virgin media ...

Simon G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northbourne
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Plee for help from new Sky BB Customer

Hi Guys

Sorry for the long winded post !

I've recently moved house, and we were previously with virgin media on their 20MB cable services. I cancelled the Virgin contract after they failed to turn up for the 3rd week in a rown to install the BB/TV/Phone service and moved to Sky.

When I initially ordered Sky BB I was told that the fastest service I could get was the Mid package which was a little disappinting after being used to 20MB.
      Anyway, after FIVE weeks waiting for Sky to get the TV box installed (long story) I called up Sky to complete the order for BB and was told that I could have the Mid or Max package & I jumped at the Max package.

After a futher 3-week delay waiting for Sky to deliver the router I finally went live last week.
      All went well with the setup but I noticed that the connection appeared very slow, with some pages not loading and eventually everything dies completely.
      I powered off the router and rebooted my PC and managed to connect ok again.

I ran some speed tests and found that my downstream connection was only running at 1278 which was much slower than I was expecting.
      I called customer services and they advised that I swap the micro-filter and call them back the next day as they were about to close - I replaced the filter but no difference.

I called CS again and explained the issue again and they ran a line check and came back saying that the fastest I could get on my line was 3.5MB !!
      Why the heck did Sky offer me the 16MB Max package if they knew that my line was only capable of 3.5MB??

I'm connected to the Northborne (Bmth) exchange and I'm approx 2.7km from the exchange (Straight line). I've also checked details of the exchange on DSLZoneUK and it says that the Northborne exchange is only enabled upto 8MB ..... and that's pushing it.

Looking at my router stats my attenuation seems high at 62dB as this puts me about 6km from the exchange (i think ?).

I've recently moved into the house and cannot find a master socket - Well to be precise, I "think" i found it but it looks like it's been rewired by the previous owner .... and not very well - There's also no test socket, but lots of insulation tape (oh dear !).

In summary, does it look like I have a problem at this end with the wiring or is it more likely the exchange/distance from the exchange ..... or all of the above?

Also, do I have any recourse on Sky for selling me a service that their own CS team have told me I will never achieve?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
      Many thanks

Simon G

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 1344 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.3 11.0
      Attn(dB): 62.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 16.0 12.5
      Max(Kbps): 1504 960
      Rate (Kbps): 1344 768
      G.dmt framing
      K: 43(0) 25
      R: 16 16
      S: 4 8
      D: 32 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 43 25
      M: 4 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 4.3636 8.6153
      L: 352 208
      D: 32 8
      Counters
      SF: 15242022 15242020
      SFErr: 1533 544
      RS: 259114382 129557170
      RSCorr: 46598267 3626
      RSUnCorr: 13487 0

HEC: 1282 316
      OCD: 68 160
      LCD: 0 8
      Total Cells: 821327780 0
      Data Cells: 165396515 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1653 0
      SES: 1473 0
      UAS: 21 0
      Total time = 1 days 23 hours 59 min 3 sec
      SF = 15242022
      CRC = 1533
      LOS = 2083
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1653
      Latest 1 day time = 23 hours 59 min 3 sec
      SF = 5079028
      CRC = 1052
      LOS = 961
      LOF = 0
      ES = 723
      Latest 15 minutes time = 14 min 3 sec
      SF = 49637
      CRC = 18
      LOS = 16
      LOF = 0
      ES = 14
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 9
      LOF = 0
      ES = 9
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5082322
      CRC = 381
      LOS = 641
      LOF = 0
      ES = 520
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 27
      LOS = 25
      LOF = 0
      ES = 15
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 11
      LOS = 13
      LOF = 0
      ES = 12
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 8
      LOS = 15
      LOF = 0
      ES = 15

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Plee for help from new Sky BB Customer

cause its an UP TO 16MB package and in now way guarantees that speed - have to remember sales are sales and i wouldn't be surprised if they work on commission...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      cause its an UP TO 16MB package and in now way guarantees that speed - have to remember sales are sales and i wouldn't be surprised if they work on commission...
      In principle yes, but Sky is on very thin ice if this was their official reply - I'm in sales myself and I'd be sued by my customers if I took this line.

I agree that Sky only claim "upto 16MB", but if CS themselves are saying my line is not capable to more than 3.5mb then surely Sky should have checked this BEFORE saying I could achieve "upto" 16mb!

At this point in time Sky CS are saying I can achieve "upto" 3.5mb and not upto 16mb, and besides, my current connection is maxed at 1.3mb!

I'll admit that the service is cheap, and having no download limits on the Max package is attractive but there's still no excuse for Sky telling someone they can achieve upto 16MB, taking their money and then saying that they can only achieve upto 3.5mb.

I still believe I should be able to get a better connection than 1.3mb so if anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

s speed check should be done at POS and the customer informed of such speed so they should be up front about it all - if not then i agree that you've been mis sold the Max package...

as for better speed - are you in the master socket, and if so have you tried the test socket (assuming you have one)?

EDIT - re-read original post....without a proper wrking master socket there's no way of diagnosig the real issue but id bet the wiring ur end has a lot to do with it...
      Last edited by IWasNotTheEnemy; 25-09-07 at 11:35 PM. Reason: didnt read prperly
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I don't believe it's actually possible to determine how well ADSL will perform on a particular line without it being physically tested by an engineer. The best they can do is estimate the attenuation on the basis of line length, and translate that into an estimate of maximum ADSL speed.

It sounds like the attenuation is somewhat higher than would be expected for the line length and the noise is somewhat worse as well. This unfortunately is the nature of ADSL - you're trying to piggyback a 2MHz signal on a wire intended to carry a 5kHz voice signal. There are many, many factors that can degrade the quality of the ADSL signal that simply can't be predicted in advance.

I think the first thing to do is to get the master socket "regularised". Hopefully you'll be able to persuade BT that it was the previous subscriber who messed it up and they might not charge you. Have a good look round the house first just to make sure that the socket you're looking at really is the master socket because they will definitely change you if what you think is the master socket turns out to be a customer-fitted extension.

There should never be any insulating tape involved in telephone wiring. Everything is done using screw terminals or "punch-down" terminals. God only knows what that tape is actually concealing, but I doubt it's anything good.

Get that fixed. If it's as bad as it sounds, you might well find your attenuation falls by a considerable amount.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks

I'm almost certain the it's the master socket that I'm looking at as the wires disappear into some armored cable inside the wall.
      It looks like they butchered the socket (in hall) in order to fit another socket on the other side of the wall - they drilled through the wall, extended the existing wires and fitted a standard socket on the other side (in lounge).
      The original socket was then replaced with a blanking plate.

Should I get BT to rectify it or should I get it done myself?
      if BT, any ideas how much they charge to fit a new master?

Thanks again

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

BT would charge well over a hundred pounds. You may be better off reporting a voice fault, ie silent or crackly, BT have been known to replace the master socket FOC for this reason.

The argument re the up to 16mb has been done to death on here. 1mb is up to 16mb, however that is no consolation for what you have been told. I can understand your frustration, but looking at your stats there is no chance whatsoever you are going to get any where near 16mb.

If you have just connected you have 8 days cooling off, to cancel the contract. Short of BT making your line conditions any better, I really think you are getting about the best your line can handle.

Unless a member has Sky (insert dept) Team underneath their username, you can safely assume that that member is not an official representative of Sky and any answer made will not be an official answer. The fact that members of staff from Sky answer posts, is their own opinion and their own view, which they are fully entitled to.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you've just moved house, you can get a hardwire master changed for an NTE5 or an illicit master socket regularised for just under 30 according to the BT price list. Probably a sensible thing to do regardless of whether you cancel Sky BB or not.

Edit: Obviously, it's a good idea to check the fee when you phone BT up, just to be sure.
      Last edited by James67; 26-09-07 at 01:46 AM.