Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY router and Real VNC

This is a discussion on SKY router and Real VNC within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Here's an oddity - I have just been activated with SKY BB and using the supplied router I ...

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

SKY router and Real VNC

Hi folks,

Here's an oddity - I have just been activated with SKY BB and using the supplied router I can no longer get my real VNC server on Computer#2 to connect to the viewer on Computer #1. Everything else works fine - and I can see the two machines both in the router admin pages and can shift files in both directions via Windows XP fine.

I am wondering if the built in firewall is preventing the access - have tried enabling an inbound service on port 5800 to 5900 but not so network savvy as to know if this is the right approach.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: SKY router and Real VNC

There's no firewalling whatsoever between the Ethernet ports or between the Ethernet ports and the wireless network. Firewalling only affects traffic passing through the broadband connection itself.

If you used the Sky installation CD, it may have changed your Windows XP firewall settings, so that the incoming connection to port 5900 on Computer 2 is being blocked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      There's no firewalling whatsoever between the Ethernet ports or between the Ethernet ports and the wireless network. Firewalling only affects traffic passing through the broadband connection itself.

If you used the Sky installation CD, it may have changed your Windows XP firewall settings, so that the incoming connection to port 5900 on Computer 2 is being blocked.
      No, I haven't used the CD at all. Thanks for the info on the firewall. Both computers are ethernet connected on ports 1 & 3 - a third is on port 2.

Cheers

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

And how are you saying what machine you want to connect to? Remember, the Windows machine name is something that SMB networking knows about, but RealVNC uses domain names. If you don't have a DNS server, you'll have to refer to other machines by numerical IP address, which will have been assigned in no particular order to each of the PCs unless you've given the machines fixed IP addresses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      And how are you saying what machine you want to connect to? Remember, the Windows machine name is something that SMB networking knows about, but RealVNC uses domain names. If you don't have a DNS server, you'll have to refer to other machines by numerical IP address, which will have been assigned in no particular order to each of the PCs unless you've given the machines fixed IP addresses.
      Thanks - with a nudge from you in the right direction it's running again! Changing the router has re-assigned the DCHP addresses, and there were a couple of redundant entries in the VNC acceptance table.

Many thanks for working with me.

Cheers