Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unpredictable and flakey

This is a discussion on Unpredictable and flakey within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We were previously with another broadband provider but was paying twice as much as Sky Max and was only getting ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Unpredictable and flakey

We were previously with another broadband provider but was paying twice as much as Sky Max and was only getting a 1 meg speed connection for it. We had both our laptop and desktop PC (upstairs) wirelessly connected and apart from the occaisional wireless signal loss upstairs we hardly ever had a problem (we're 1.8km from the exchange if that has any relevance).

Yesterday we switched to Sky Max Broadband. We plugged the laptop wired into the Sky ADSL Wireless Modem/Router (after going through the amusingly worded flash instructions on the provided CD), and it worked fine and was giving us a reported speed of between 4.5 - 5 Meg which is what we expected.

We then configured the laptop (which has an in-built broadcom Wireless 802.11b capability) and the wireless would connect (with an excellent soignal strength) but would then get stuck trying to 'acquire network address'. The laptop was only a few feet from the Sky box.

Unfortunately, we then discovered that the PCI Linksys Wireless NIC in the desktop machine (upstairs) can't handle WPA as they never released WPA compatible drivers for the 802.11b card we have! It doesn't seem to be detecting the wireless signal at all either which doesn't help!

Despite all of the lights on the Sky box saying that all was well, the wired Internet connection began to slow up and then sites started to not respond.

So, we shut the desktop and laptop down and went to bed. Early this morning I tried again and after disabling and removing the wired connection and resetting the laptop and the Sky box I suddenly got a wireless connection! For the next 5 minutes or so it worked perfectly, and then sites started not responding again.

I decided to reboot the laptop and when it came back up it couldn't connect wirelessly at all.

What on earth is going on here? My 4 year old Linksys ADSL Router/Modem with Wireless via a PCMCIA card was rock steady 99% of the time for over 3.5 years. Sky Broadband is already proving to be almost exactly the opposite! There's nothing worse than feeling that you cannot trust your connection to be there when you boot up your PC, or that it will disappear whilst you're in the middle of doing something.

So, what can I do? Is there a way of getting into the Sky box to see or change the configuration?

Richard.

2. Advertisement
      Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Should have added at the end there that although it is encrypted with WPA, I don't want the thing broadcasting its SSID either, so I really want to get into the box and change the configuration for that if nothing else!
      Last edited by Wheelie; 15-09-06 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      it is likely yur router may be syncing too high and you need to keep rebooting it to get a lower sync speed that is what is probably causing the instability (unless you have a faulty sky router).

you need to use the cable connection to connect to your router to set up security. if one of your cards cannot use tkip you must connect using wep. make sure you put the sky passphrase (on the box) into the password bit when you try to connect your pc.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      it is likely yur router may be syncing too high and you need to keep rebooting it to get a lower sync speed that is what is probably causing the instability (unless you have a faulty sky router).
      By rebooting the router I assume you mean turning the power off and on again? I also assume that I wouldn't have to do this every time? We probably only turned our old Linksys box off half a dozen times in 3.5 years.

you need to use the cable connection to connect to your router to set up security. if one of your cards cannot use tkip you must connect using wep. make sure you put the sky passphrase (on the box) into the password bit when you try to connect your pc.
      We've already done that (using the cable) on the laptop side. When we try to get the desktop PC upstairs to connect wirelessly it complains that the Wireless NIC isn't WPA capable. If we select WEP (on the desktop PC NIC configuration) we have to choose 64 or 128 bit encryption, and then another two additional options after that (a key being one of them - can't remember what the other is) - what would we put in here? Would WEP connect to WPA?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      re: By rebooting the router I assume you mean turning the power off and on again?

Yes - leave it for about 20 secons before you power on again

wep will not connect if you set your router to use wpa - you must set your router to wep. there is a thread in here (Good news and instructions on WEP settings (XP) first post) showing how to set the router up to use wep
      Last edited by dingdong; 14-09-06 at 09:59 AM.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      wep will not connect if you set your router to use wpa - you must set your router to wep. there is a thread in here (Good news and instructions on WEP settings (XP) first post) showing how to set the router up to use wep
      Ah, that was going to be my next question! Thanks - I'll try that out when I get home!

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Hello unregistered, welcome to the site.

Please take the time to register so that we can better follow your posts.

RichardH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Okay, I've now registered.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 15-09-06 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

RichardH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      We were previously with another broadband provider but was paying twice as much as Sky Max and was only getting a 1 meg speed connection for it. We had both our laptop and desktop PC (upstairs) wirelessly connected and apart from the occaisional wireless signal loss upstairs we hardly ever had a problem (we're 1.8km from the exchange if that has any relevance).

Yesterday we switched to Sky Max Broadband. We plugged the laptop wired into the Sky ADSL Wireless Modem/Router (after going through the amusingly worded flash instructions on the provided CD), and it worked fine and was giving us a reported speed of between 4.5 - 5 Meg which is what we expected.

We then configured the laptop (which has an in-built broadcom Wireless 802.11b capability) and the wireless would connect (with an excellent soignal strength) but would then get stuck trying to 'acquire network address'. The laptop was only a few feet from the Sky box.

Unfortunately, we then discovered that the PCI Linksys Wireless NIC in the desktop machine (upstairs) can't handle WPA as they never released WPA compatible drivers for the 802.11b card we have! It doesn't seem to be detecting the wireless signal at all either which doesn't help!

Despite all of the lights on the Sky box saying that all was well, the wired Internet connection began to slow up and then sites started to not respond.

So, we shut the desktop and laptop down and went to bed. Early this morning I tried again and after disabling and removing the wired connection and resetting the laptop and the Sky box I suddenly got a wireless connection! For the next 5 minutes or so it worked perfectly, and then sites started not responding again.

I decided to reboot the laptop and when it came back up it couldn't connect wirelessly at all.

What on earth is going on here? My 4 year old Linksys ADSL Router/Modem with Wireless via a PCMCIA card was rock steady 99% of the time for over 3.5 years. Sky Broadband is already proving to be almost exactly the opposite! There's nothing worse than feeling that you cannot trust your connection to be there when you boot up your PC, or that it will disappear whilst you're in the middle of doing something.

So, what can I do? Is there a way of getting into the Sky box to see or change the configuration?

Richard.
      I called Sky last night and probably spent a good 90 minutes on a couple of phone calls trying to sort my problems out. However, the tell-tale key diagnostic was when I started looking at the Netgear configuration screens. More on this in a moment!

Firstly their technical help guy went through all the standard stuff (checking the micro-filters, checking the master phone socket/test socket, swapping filters, unplugging the cables, etc.). After about 25 mins of going through his script (he was polite enough but obviously didn't have any technical knowledge of his own) he had to admit defeat, and then put me through to another department who then adjusted and capped the speed of my connection from the exchange to the fastest speed I'm getting which is between 4.5-5. This took another 20 minutes or so.

Anyway, after the line was reset a couple of times it was working (wired), so the phone call ended and I decided to test the connection for a duration. 15 mins later and the web stopped responding again, despite the fact that all of the relevant lights on the box were green! So, I called technical help again and was this time put through to a call centre in India (this was just after 8pm GMT).

So, another 25 minutes of going through a script, talking to someone whose English wasn't brilliant and who obviously had no technical knowledge of their own at all. However, unlike the first call to technical help she did at least officially tell me about the address for the configuration screens for the Netgear box.

This is when it got interesting because as soon as the web stops responding (usually 10-15 mins after the box is reset), the box configuration screens don't respond either! The only conclusion we could make was that the Netgear box itself must be faulty. (Bare in mind that this happens on wired and wireless - when we can get wireless to work!). Would others here agree with that diagnosis?

So, for now - if we want to use Sky Broadband we have to reset the box, then turn on the computer and then try and do everything we need to do in 10-15 minutes before it stops responding, and then repeat ad-nauseum.

Sky are going to collect the box and deliver a new one in 5-7 working days. I'd normally be suspicious of a resolution where they swap over the hardware (it's usually a cop-out for 'we don't know what's wrong') but in this case I think it might actually be the box after all!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      sounds familiar

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast