Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Unpredictable and flakey

This is a discussion on Unpredictable and flakey within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks. One question springs to mind already. I was under the impression that I didn't have a fixed/static IP with ...

RichardH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanks.

One question springs to mind already. I was under the impression that I didn't have a fixed/static IP with Sky (I only noticed this when I realised the IP I had is only leased for a 3 day period - which goes as soon as I reset the box each time).

According to the info I'm reading, you can really only do port forwarding on a fixed IP. Would I have to ask Sky for a fixed IP rather than one allocated via DHCP?

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not at all you can assign a fixed internal IP to any PC on your network from the router and then just port forward whatever you like to the IP I forward to mine on 192.168.0.2
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks
      Okay, that's fine. It's the IP on the LAN rather than the WAN side then.

I think I'll just try turning off UPnP first and see what it breaks (if anything).

Thanks!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes thats correct I have never used UPnP on NetGear router I always found it flaky
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks

Progress at last! :)

Okay, turning UPnP off in the router does appear to have cured it. The connection has now been up for almost an hour!

Also, going from WPA to WEP (and setting to Auto 108Mb) has now trigered my upstairs PC to detect the wireless signal. However, both the laptop downstairs an the desktop upstairs cannot connect properly via wireless as the router isn't assigning them an IP address. It gets stuck trying to acquire a network address and then gives up, saying the connection is limited or unavaiable.

The laptop's wireless signal strength is max (it's only a few feet away from the NetGear box) but the desktop is very weak upstairs.

I have chosen to turn off the Router acting as a DHCP server, and I have told it to only allocate the number of fixed IP addresses I need. I have then entered the MAC addresses for all the devices and I have double-checked that they are all correct.

So, is there anything else I can try to sort out this IP address issue via the Wireless? It was doing this on the laptop before I turned off the DHCP server, so it shouldn't be that.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Try using the DHCP server to start with and connect one at a time and set each one up as you go and see if that helps.

Sorry its the only thing I can think of now as you seem to have covered the rest.
      Ray

click here

richard_jerome is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
      Okay, turning UPnP off in the router does appear to have cured it. The connection has now been up for almost an hour!
      Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
      So, is there anything else I can try to sort out this IP address issue via the Wireless? It was doing this on the laptop before I turned off the DHCP server, so it shouldn't be that.
      I have vague recollections of struggling to use channels above 9 for some wireless cards and/or xp sp2. Just try a bog standard DHCP set up with a channel 9, g&b and without using wep. etc. or MAC authentication.

Cheerio,
      Rich

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I hard coded the i/p address of the wireless card as my 3com card is flaky getting dhcp addresses. as long as it's in your valid range it will work fine.

Steve

Thanks
      After three days of frustration, I've now got it all working as I expected it to (although I do have some oddities).

Connection stopped responding late last night after about 5 hrs of uptime. Left the NetGear box on and turned off computer. Turned on again this morning and all is fine.

As for wireless, going from 'g & b' to 'Auto 108' fixed my problem of never getting an address for the computers wirelessly. I also turned off DHCP in router, set up IPs associated with MAC addresses for each device and then changed the TCP/IP properties individually on each device, turning off DHCP there and entering the relevant values.

I also decided to try out OpenDNS for the DNS servers, rather than the standard. So far, so good!

The oddity is that my wireless upstairs (on WEP rather than WPA) reports a very low signal strength - the Wireless NIC's card monitor app reports only 6-12%! - yet it's as fast if not faster now than my old connection with my old router/modem and ISP which reported typically 43% - 70% strength.

So, fingers crossed it now all works - but I'm left wondering why nobody on Sky technical help has ever suggested turning off the UPnP which caused no end of problems, or the wireless changes?

Has anyone here had an engineer come out and set the box up, and if so (and it worked) is UPnP enabled or disabled on router? If it's disabled, then the engineers need to talk to the telephone support and clue them up a bit!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well thats good news Richard
      Ray

click here

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast