Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unpredictable and flakey

This is a discussion on Unpredictable and flakey within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Welcome to the site Richard After reading your post it would seem you are joining the ever growing group of ...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Richard

After reading your post it would seem you are joining the ever growing group of members who are having similar problems, I am starting to think that SkyBB firmware in the router may have a lot of bugs in it.

As for the SSID you can turn that off in the router admin

Good luck and hope you get sorted out soon.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      RichardH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      If that is the case, then sending out a new box probably won't fix it unless they have updated the firmware in the meantime? Do we know if Sky are planning on doing remote firmware upgrades for the boxes?

Yes, I found the SSID option in the configuration screens (when it was working) and I was also able to change from WPA to WEP so my upstairs PC should be able to connect - except that it doesn't detect it at all (when it's working). That's a problem I'll have to address once the fundamental Netgear box problem is resolved.

Here's a question though - I still have my Linksys box - could I reconfigure that to access Sky in the meantime?
      Last edited by Wheelie; 15-09-06 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      re: Here's a question though - I still have my Linksys box - could I reconfigure that to access Sky in the meantime?

you could but you are breaking their t&c's and they would be in the right to disconnect you

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I don't know for sure that it is a firmware bug but I used to see a lot of posts on the netgear forum when it was still on-line about problems people were having with the beta firmware they got from the netgear site, it only just dawned on me as I have been reading more and more of the post like your.

As for the wireless connection problems I had them so I charged the Mode to Auto 108 and that fixed it so it may help you as well ??

As for you last question all I can say to that is have a good look in the Sky Router (Netgear DG834GT)

Good luck mate
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks
      I'm quite happy to use the Netgear Sky box if it worked, so if I can't use another box as an interim solution then can I ask for a refund on the time I can't use the box?

Oh, hang on - I've just remembered that due to the delay in getting the (faulty) box delivered in the first place, I've been given the first month's subscription (10) for free...

I'm starting to wonder if they knew these boxes were potentially dodgy but had no choice but to ship them out anyway - hoping to cure it later with a firmware update maybe - or am I too cynical? I thought the 10 was offered very quickly. I wasn't even aware of a delay in getting the NetGear box yet they gave me a free month straight away...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You are not the first person to suggest that and a free month sound good to me

I must have been very lucky as mine works fine and I have 5 PC's on my network and they are all working as they should be.
      Ray

click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @richardh: it is unlikely to be a firmware problem because if it was we would all be affected. anyway, the basic code for connectivity etc is well used and tested - the firware updates usually just cover fixes to the user interface stuff particular to the equipment.

faults are more likely to be harware - caused by poor manufacturing or bad design (overheating etc) - also the other component no one has mention is the power supply - if that is poor it will also result in modem/router problems

Thanks
      Well, I'll wait and see what happens with the new box, but Sky must be more than a bit concerned if they are having hundreds of NetGear boxes turning up faulty and having to be replaced.

It wouldn't be an issue if they let people use their own hardware. I would have been quite happy keeping my original Linksys box and just reconfiguring that, then I'm sure it would have worked perfectly from day one (and bare in mind I'm only just into day three!) ;-)

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. The number of comments on this site only confirm that Sky are having more than just a few teething problems with this. Maybe I should have waited a while and let the new service settle down before I ordered. That's what I usually do.

Thanks
      Ah... just found this:

UPNP Broken

... which says that with UPnP turned 'on' things start to go wrong after about 15 mins - now that sounds horribly familiar! No web page connectivity, not even communication with the NetGear box is possible... deja vu!

Not really knowing much about it, what are the implications of turning the UPnP option off on the router configuration?

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
      So, for now - if we want to use Sky Broadband we have to reset the box, then turn on the computer and then try and do everything we need to do in 10-15 minutes before it stops responding, and then repeat ad-nauseum.
      Same symptoms here. 15 mins, then all http including connecting to router web admin page fail. All other traffic still works.

So...disable upnp, and it'll stay up fine. Just about to ring them...

/Rich

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast