Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connected speed = Broken router?

This is a discussion on Slow Connected speed = Broken router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I got sky broadband activated today, plugged in my router, ran the cd and was surfing in no time. Surfing ...

SanjUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Connected speed = Broken router?

I got sky broadband activated today, plugged in my router, ran the cd and was surfing in no time. Surfing was slow as treacle, attempted to login into my sky area..timeout twice.
      I logged into my router and saw it connected at 1851, rebooted it 5 TIMES (and alot more since then) and the most i can get is 2700k. The problem is I was on UKonline before and I was always connected around the 3500-4000k mark.
      I rang sky and they said they will ring me back within 5 days. Is there anything i can do to fix this? Im on the max package, can this router be re-flashed to a usable state or have the firmware upgraded? Thanks!

admin: please do not use swear words, family forum
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 25-09-07 at 03:16 AM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

re:Slow Connected speed = Broken router?

post full stats first as chances are its a line issue....see my sig for how to do this as flashing won't be needed
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 25-09-07 at 03:17 AM.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connected speed = ***ed router?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      post full stats first as chances are its a line issue....see my sig for how to do this as flashing won't be needed
      Downstream
      Connection Speed: 2752 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 51.0 db
      Noise Margin: 6.9 db

Upstream
      Connection Speed: 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 31.5 db
      Noise Margin: 14.0 db

Are these the stats you requested? I have NEVER had a problem with Uploading. I really need this issue resolved, i cant handle downoading anything at a top speed of 288k when it shud be just under 400k. Thanks!
      Last edited by SanjUK; 25-09-07 at 03:19 AM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Those are the brief statistics that you get from the router's webpage interface.

There's a link in IAmNotTheEnemy's signature saying "How To Obtain Your Router Stats", click on that and have a read - it's very useful background information. You'll need to use the Mognuts utility (mentioned in that post) to get detailed stats.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Those are the brief statistics that you get from the router's webpage interface.

There's a link in IAmNotTheEnemy's signature saying "How To Obtain Your Router Stats", click on that and have a read - it's very useful background information. You'll need to use the Mognuts utility (mentioned in that post) to get detailed stats.
      I did that and i got the cfg file. Ive attached it to this post. thanks.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connected speed = Broken router?

You need to open the cfg file with wordpad its alot more readable then.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Slow Connected speed = Broken router?

The stats look OK really. I think there are probably two reasons why you're not getting quite as much out of Sky as you were out of your previous broadband provider.

On a good, short line with very little noise (for example, if the exchange is just up the road from you) one broadband router is going to be pretty much like the next. But you seemed to have quite a long line between you and your exchange. Long lines are bad because the longer they get, the weaker the signal gets and the more noise is picked up and it becomes harder and harder for your modem to pick out the broadband signal from the background noise. Now, when you have a situation like that, you tend to find that some routers are better at picking out that tiny, faint broadband signal than other routers are. In my opinion, the Netgear router that Sky supply is not brilliant at handling poor lines. They're not terribly bad, just not remarkably good either.

The other problem is that Sky's equipment at the exchange doesn't adapt to changing line conditions. Telephone lines tend to have a lot more interference on them at night than at day (at least as far as broadband signals are concerned) and what would normally happen is that the equipment at the exchange and your router would gradually slow the speed down as the quality of your line starts getting worse in the evening, and then start speeding it up as dawn comes. Because Sky's equipment doesn't adapt to changing conditions in that way, they have to fix a single speed that hopefully will work all day long. Consequently if you compare Sky connection speed with the connection speeds you used to get with your previous provider during the daytime, the Sky speeds can sometimes look a little low.

But the truth is, the difference between 4000k (your fastest speed on UKonline) and 1851k (your slowest speed on Sky) isn't really akin to the difference between quicksilver and treacle. It's more like the difference between Tesco's Value Brand treacle and Tate and Lyle treacle.

Try and improve anything that might be having an adverse effect on your line within your house - things like getting a filtered faceplate and so on. You'll find loads of tips on how to do that kind of stuff around the forum.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SanjUK View Post
      Downstream
      Connection Speed: 2752 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 51.0 db
      Noise Margin: 6.9 db

Upstream
      Connection Speed: 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 31.5 db
      Noise Margin: 14.0 db

Are these the stats you requested? I have NEVER had a problem with Uploading. I really need this issue resolved, i cant handle downoading anything at a top speed of 288k when it shud be just under 400k. Thanks!
      Your sync is a little low for your attenuation which is probably down to noise on the line.

If you're only getting 288kbps download on a sync of 2752kbps then my first guess is that you're wireless and the second that your TCP/IP settings are incorrect.

To understand why your sync speed will change each time you boot the router, please see the first sticky in my signature.
      Last edited by Saturday; 25-09-07 at 05:57 PM.