Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MAC code only valid for 4 more days ? problem

This is a discussion on MAC code only valid for 4 more days ? problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks, I'm new to SkyUser & this is my first post..... I'm currently with Pipex, and I asked for ...

anukas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question MAC code only valid for 4 more days ? problem

Hi Folks,
      I'm new to SkyUser & this is my first post.....
      I'm currently with Pipex, and I asked for a MAC code at the end of August. It did'nt arrive, and, busy with work, I forgot about it for a while.
      Anyway, phoned Pipex today, got the MAC code, but apparently its only valid til the 28th Sept.
      So, is it worth starting the application process to get Sky broadband, or should I wait 4 days until it expires, and then apply for a new code?

Also, I'm worried that during the process of changing from Pipex to Sky, there will be a period of perhaps days when I will be without internet access. Am I right to be concerned? What can I do to minimze any delay?
      Can I use a dial-up account of some sort if I'm disconnected ? (I really need uninterrupted internet access)

Sorry for all the questions, this post has noob written all over it, I know!
      I've had a brief sortie thru the site, couldn't find, at first look,the info I need.
      If some sympathetic soul can point me in the right direction, I'll be a happy little noob!
      Cheers,
      Anne

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: MAC code only valid for 4 more days ? problem

I would leave it till your MAC expires and apply for another. Make sure Pipex do not cut you off, they are legally obliged not to, but check anyway. PAYG Dial-up accounts are not supplied by Sky, but many other ISPs do, Plusnet for one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
      I'll leave it til next week then. That will also give me the chance to check this site out more fully. I'm sure theres lots of useful info for me to absorb.

I'll probably have to pay Pipex for another month. The tariff I'm on is sooooo expensive - I should have made the move to Sky long before now.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is it possible you asked for the MAC on 28th August? This would explain why it has run out nearly.

afaik as long as the MAC is accepted within the 30 days, there is no problem with being changed over after this 30 day period. Remember if you wait for another one, you are then giving Pipex another months payment. Effectively a MAC is the start of your notice period with the old ISP.

You will need to check with Pipex, that it is not there practise to use the MAC as literal cancellation in the event it is not used, as it may mean you are disconnected after the 30th day. When I was with F2S if you did not use your MAC it did not cancel your ADSL if you didn't use it.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

afaik as long as the MAC is accepted within the 30 days, there is no problem with being changed over after this 30 day period.
      This may be the case, but with Sky's migration record, don't you think it is safer to get another one, rather than get stuck in a loop. I know it is not always Sky's fault that migrations go wrong, but it is always the user that suffers. The more time they have to execute the MAC, the less chance there should be of a mistake.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Is it possible you asked for the MAC on 28th August? This would explain why it has run out nearly.

afaik as long as the MAC is accepted within the 30 days, there is no problem with being changed over after this 30 day period. Remember if you wait for another one, you are then giving Pipex another months payment. Effectively a MAC is the start of your notice period with the old ISP.

You will need to check with Pipex, that it is not there practise to use the MAC as literal cancellation in the event it is not used, as it may mean you are disconnected after the 30th day. When I was with F2S if you did not use your MAC it did not cancel your ADSL if you didn't use it.

Hi Newsreader,
      Yes, I did ask for the MAC at the end of August. Pipex said they would email it within five days, but it never arrived. I kept meaning to contact them about it, but was snowed under with work and simply forgot.

Good point about whether or not I'll be cancelled, I'll contact Pipex in the morning to check on that.

My main priority during this changeover process is to keep the time I'll be offline to the very minimum.
      I've been reading some scary threads on the site about people being disconnected from their old ISP but not connected to Sky for varying lengths of time. Stuff about BT being less than efficient? Quelle surprise!

I'm in N.London - I don't know if thats a good or bad thing on the re-connection front.
      Cheers,
      Anne

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This may be the case, but with Sky's migration record, don't you think it is safer to get another one, rather than get stuck in a loop. I know it is not always Sky's fault that migrations go wrong, but it is always the user that suffers. The more time they have to execute the MAC, the less chance there should be of a mistake.

With this in mind, I think I'll just wait until Friday, then apply for a new MAC. I'm happy to do this even if it means I'll have to pay Pipex for another month. Anything that helps migration (i'm picking up the lingo fast ) to go as smoothly as possible has got to a good thing.

Perseus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Definitely safer and I strongly advise a new MAC.