Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 15

    Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

    This is a discussion on Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there to anyone that can help. Sorry this is so long, I’ve tried to explain as fully as I ...

    1. #1
      Reason 346's Avatar
      Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      9
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      Hi there to anyone that can help.

      Sorry this is so long, I’ve tried to explain as fully as I can, to help you help me as much as possible

      I have recently just switched to Sky Broadband Mid (8MB) after using BT for several years (8MB Unlimited download usage).
      When I first got BT years ago, for the first 6 months everything was fine, then during some building work my house power cables and (if I recall) telephone wires were cut by accident, and then later repaired. Around the same time I think BT upgraded my line speed or something. For the remaining time I've had broadband from any provider I have had connection problems where the "adsl" light or "I" light on the modem turns off, therefore I loose internet connection for a few minutes and it comes back on again after the disconnection. This happens quite frequently, between every 10-40 mins, although sometimes it can last longer up to maybe an hour.

      This problem is still present even though I have done the following:
      - I have changed service provider from BT to Sky Broadband, still the same problem.
      - I have used about 4 modems/routers and the problem persists, so it can't be a fault with them. I am now using the Sky Netgear Router.
      - I have swapped/checked/replaced the wires,cables and microfilters.
      - I have microfilters on all telephony equipment.
      - I have taken off the master socket faceplate to see if that helped, I am currently using the test socket.
      - This disconnection occurs with my 2 wired PC’s and my MacBook which is wireless simultaneously, therefore when the internet connection goes, it goes on all 3 machines, wired and wireless.
      - UPnP is off.
      - I'm 510 metres away from my exchange.
      - My downstream line attenuation is 18.0db
      - I think both BT and Sky have said my line should cope with 8MB.
      I used the SkyUser Broadband ADSL2 Line Speed Checker (upto 24mb) and it said: "We estimate your line is capable of between 16mb to 24mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service."

      I run my modem/router through a telephone wall socket that was newly installed by a technician when I received my BT broadband. I use the same socket now with the master faceplate off, but this time my provider is Sky. This wall socket is located upstairs in my "computer room/study".

      Today I tried moving the Sky Netgear DG834GT downstairs to the main telephone wall socket that has been there before we got broadband. This is the process I went through:

      1) I changed the microfilter and connected the router; I think I couldn't connect because I had the faceplate off upstairs
      2) I took off the faceplate downstairs and plugged the router into the test socket with no additional phones connected, just the router and microfilter, this time the connection was stable, I had no disconnections throughout the 3 hours I tested this, which the connection never manages to do anymore.
      3) I then tried the router again in its normal position on the upstairs wall test socket, the disconnection problem occurred again.

      Having the faceplate off the downstairs wall socket isolated the connection to just that downstairs socket, therefore it restricted me from gaining access to the internet upstairs and visa versa. However if I use the test socket upstairs for the internet, the phones still work around the house because they’re in sockets that have the faceplates on.

      Overall my internet connection had no problems with the test socket downstairs, but it has the disconnecting problem when in the upstairs test socket or master socket.

      What could be the problem here?
      Are there any other things I could do to test this?
      Can I test this again by plugging in phones and listening to the line?
      And is there any way I can fix this without getting a technician out?
      Who do I contact for a technician (if needed), Sky or BT? Seeing as the line rental is still from BT.

      Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. If you would like me to post my basic or detailed router stats then I will do.
      I’ll look forward to a reply, thanks again.

      Andrew
      Last edited by Reason 346; 24-09-07 at 02:17 AM.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Saturday's Avatar
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      6,085
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 51 Times in 47 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      I'm a bit confused. You should have only one master socket and hence only one test socket. It sounds as though another master "type" socket has been installed upstairs rather than use a plain extension socket.

      The fact that your connection is fine in the downstairs test/master socket indicates that the problem lies with your home phone wiring - quite possibly that upstairs socket. Master sockets have extra electrical capacitors and things which aren't needed in extension sockets. Maybe having two sets is your problem?

      In answer to your question, it's not a Sky problem for them to deal with and arguably not a BT problem either as they're not responsible for your home wiring your side of the master socket backplate. You can call them out but they'll make a hefty charge - at least £70 possibly more. However, if that upstairs socket was installed by BT then I'd have thought you could reasonably expect them to waive the charge. Agree that in advance. If it turns out that's not the problem but it's down to some other part of your wiring not installed by BT then charges will probably apply.

    4. #3
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      33,887
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      I run my modem/router through a telephone wall socket that was newly installed by a technician when I received my BT broadband.
      When you say this, do you mean it was installed officially by BT? If so, is it an ADSL faceplate with two outlets? If it is, you should be connecting the router cable direct to the faceplate without a filter.


      I think I couldn't connect because I had the faceplate off upstairs
      This should not be the case and is difficult to understand as you go on to say
      However if I use the test socket upstairs for the internet, the phones still work around the house because they’re in sockets that have the faceplates on.

      One point is, do you have filters on all the sockets with a phone or skybox attached?

      You could also try disconnecting the Ring wire from all the sockets in your house, usually from terminal 3. Terminals 2 and 5 carry the signal, so should not be disturbed.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    5. #4
      Reason 346's Avatar
      Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      9
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      Thank you very much Saturday and Isitme for your replies, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions and replies to me below.

      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      I'm a bit confused. You should have only one master socket and hence only one test socket. It sounds as though another master "type" socket has been installed upstairs rather than use a plain extension socket.
      Ah right, I didn't realise there should only be one master socket, I have probably got confused because the upstairs socket looks similar to the one downstairs. I've posted photos of each of my wall sockets in my house to hopefully help any confusion, should be easier for me to describe by using photos

      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The fact that your connection is fine in the downstairs test/master socket indicates that the problem lies with your home phone wiring - quite possibly that upstairs socket. Master sockets have extra electrical capacitors and things which aren't needed in extension sockets. Maybe having two sets is your problem?
      Thank you for clarifying this and explaining the charges for calling out a technician etc. I am not sure if my upstairs socket has extra electrical capacitors because I'm not too sure what they are, but like you say that could be a problem, maybe the photos will help.

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When you say this, do you mean it was installed officially by BT? If so, is it an ADSL faceplate with two outlets? If it is, you should be connecting the router cable direct to the faceplate without a filter.
      Thanks for your response, yep the wall socket was installed officially by BT. It was originally installed for our dial-up connection as a different line, when we switched to BT broadband we got rid of the line and changed it to the same number as our house phone number (hopefully that makes sense). However it doesn't have two outlets like you said, only one outlet as shown in the photo below.

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This should not be the case and is difficult to understand as you go on to say
      Sorry for the confusion, first I tried the microfilter through one of the "telephone expansion ports" (I don't know the proper name for these - shown and explained in photo numer 6)

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      One point is, do you have filters on all the sockets with a phone or skybox attached?
      Yes I have microfilters on all my sockets I am using as the photos show.

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could also try disconnecting the Ring wire from all the sockets in your house, usually from terminal 3. Terminals 2 and 5 carry the signal, so should not be disturbed.
      I'm not sure on what ring wires are and how I would go about doing this

      Photos:

      1) This is an upstairs socket I have in a bedroom, we don't use it so it doesn't have a microfilter on. However when the Sky technician used it to register and set up Sky television in that room he said it wasn't working, and therefore used a longer cable to attach to the downstairs master socket instead.



      2) This is a socket upstairs which has a microfilter and phone attached. This phone only works when the phone wires are plugged into the downstairs master socket.



      3) This is the upstairs socket I plug my Sky modem/router into to gain access to the internet. At the moment I am running the router through a microfilter and with the faceplate removed from the socket. This is the socket the BT engineer installed when we had dial-up, the service then changed to broadband.



      4) Here is the faceplate that covers the socket in the photo number 3 (I will post the reverse of this if you want).



      5) This is the downstairs socket with the faceplate removed, it seems to be the master socket. I noticed there are two wires connecting to the faceplate (orange and orange with white), at least one wire is not connected (green and white). Photos 3 and 4 indicate no wires and the faceplate can be removed freely from the upstairs socket.



      6) Here is the downstairs socket with the faceplate on, and the "telephone expansion ports", microfilter and phone connected. The thing nearest the microfilter with coloured wires attached has to be plugged in for the phone upstairs to work (photo 2). The thing nearest the wall socket and directly plugged into it connects to my Sky TV.



      I tried something new today which seems to be working for my internet connection, please tell me what you think with this additional info, thanks:
      I setup the router upstairs again with the faceplate off (exactly as shown in photo 3). I then went to the downstairs master socket (photo 6) with its faceplate on, and took out everything plugged into the socket. Therefore there is no microfilter, no "telephone expansion port", no phone or Sky TV connection wire in the socket. With this setup the internet is working and has not disconnected within 3+ hours which is great.
      What does this mean? Should I do trial and error, to see which device plugged into the downstairs socket disrupts the internet connection? For example, adding the phones again might bring back the internet problem I'm having.

      Thanks again,
      Andy
      Last edited by Reason 346; 24-09-07 at 07:20 PM.

    6. #5
      James67's Avatar
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      1,789
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      Blog Entries
      3

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket



      I'm not sure if I can work out how that's all wired up to be honest - in particular, I'm not sure how the converted master socket (the one upstairs that looks like a master socket, but isn't) gets its signal from the real master downstairs. At a guess I think it might be through the two orange and white wired up inside the master socket.

      Now if that's the case, I've got a suggestion that might help you. Instead of plugging in all those splitters and extension connectors into the master socket and then having the microfilter as the last item in the "chain", do it the other way round. Put the microfilter into the downstairs master socket, then plug all your extension connectors into the microfilter.
      Last edited by James67; 24-09-07 at 07:28 PM.

    7. #6
      Reason 346's Avatar
      Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      9
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      Yeah the wiring does seem strange now everyone has mentioned it, but a BT engineer did it so he must have known what to do.

      Thanks for the suggestion James67, I thought about doing that myself but haven't tried yet. I'll try plugging in the microfilter first right now and see if my connection disconnects, I'll report back soon.

    8. #7
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      33,887
      Thanks
      63
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      I don't think you need worry about the ring wire. You only have one set of wires hardwired to the Master socket and the ring wire is not connected. I doubt if it is connected at the other end.

      It is strange a BT engineer used a master socket box for an extension, maybe didn't have anything else with him at the time. I would think he has taken the bits and pieces out of it and connected direct to the back of the 'test' socket. As James suggests, plug the filter in first, then the pluggin extensions. Remember you will not need filters at the end of these extensions.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





    9. #8
      Reason 346's Avatar
      Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      9
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think you need worry about the ring wire. You only have one set of wires hardwired to the Master socket and the ring wire is not connected. I doubt if it is connected at the other end.
      Thanks for clearing that up for me.

      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is strange a BT engineer used a master socket box for an extension, maybe didn't have anything else with him at the time. I would think he has taken the bits and pieces out of it and connected direct to the back of the 'test' socket. As James suggests, plug the filter in first, then the pluggin extensions. Remember you will not need filters at the end of these extensions.
      Yeah that is weird, but now you mention it I think the BT engineer gave us the option to install the master socket style box and have internet connection at the time, or wait until he returned at a later date with an extension box, because like you said he'd ran out of them. I don't know if that socket having another line, before switching it to the same telephone line as the house, would have required a master socket style box?

      Cheers for mentioning that I won't need filters at the end of my extensions. I am currently testing the internet connection and if it disconnects or not, with the solution of putting the microfilter first. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow
      Thanks

    10. #9
      IWasNotTheEnemy's Avatar
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      London
      Posts
      9,374
      Thanks
      3
      Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket



      that shows ur Sky tv in socket before filter - hence it not being filtered - hence intermittencies!!!

      put filter in socket first then daisy chain off that and see what happens
      -------------------------------------------



      Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

    11. #10
      Reason 346's Avatar
      Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      9
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Intermittent connection in master socket faceplate and test socket

      Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      that shows ur Sky tv in socket before filter - hence it not being filtered - hence intermittencies!!!

      put filter in socket first then daisy chain off that and see what happens
      Thanks for the response IAmNotTheEnemy, that's what I was told to do in the last few posts and I'm currently testing the connection overnight to see if it solves the problem. So far so good, but I will report back tomorrow with the results.

      I think someone in my family has repositioned the microfilter after adding a BT callminder (answering machine) to the socket without my knowledge. I'm surprised the Sky technician didn't notice it was in the wrong place though, I guess he was only setting up the Sky television though.

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2014. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION