Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

illigal ip - huh

This is a discussion on illigal ip - huh within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i was setting my router for forwarding. And it was using the default ip . I noticed this was different ...

nimmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

illigal ip - huh

i was setting my router for forwarding. And it was using the default ip. I noticed this was different to my computers ip, so i put that in.

All it kept saying was illigat ip address.

now i know thats causing the slow down loads, because it nearly worked once and the download i was using went from 20 - 70 kb/s to well over a hundred. Any ideas, any body come across this before?

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: illigal ip - huh

What IP are you forwarding it to?
      e.g, Internal 192.xx.xx.xx or External 80.59.xx.xx ect?

You can find the IP you need to forward it to from the "Attached Devices" page.

Not from - Here
      But from - Here

^Obviously it might be different from mine.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks that gives the default one

192 ****

the other one was

90. ****

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

…and you think this "default IP" that you talk about (not a term that doesn't makes any sense really) is NOT the IP address that your PC is using?

What address is actually listed in the Attached Devices page, and what address do you think your PC is using? (It's OK to post full IP addresses that begin 192.168.whatever.whatever because they're not directly accessible over the Internet).

Try opening a command window (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt) and typing the command "ipconfig" and seeing what's listed as the IPv4 address. I suspect that the address which the router reports as being illegal is actually not being used by your PC, which is why the router isn't happy about you entering it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, i did that and the 192 one was there.

It was just odd on the little box the says 'you are using sky your ip adress is' that people use in forums, those things, gives the 90... address. So do sites when you logg into them. You ip adress is 90..... Odd

Plus which, i can access my router 'site' page with both ip adress.

Everybodys ip adress can't be 192.168 odd, I thought ip address had to be unique to each compuetr - thats how the catch peaodos and stuff.

But thanks for the info.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Your router has something called NAT - network address translation.

The router assigns an address beginning 192.168 to each of the computers you have in your house. These are called private IP addresses and NAT translates the private IP addresses that your PCs are using into the single public IP address that Sky assigns to your router when you connect to their network. As far as web servers and the like are concerned though, they're communicating with the 90.x.x.x address. This is also why you have to do port forwarding if you want to allow an incoming connection to one of your computers - NAT needs to know which one of your PCs it has to pass that incoming connection to.

NAT has two big advantages. Firstly it means that only one public IP address is used - there's a serious shortage of public IP addresses. And secondly, it provides a degree of inherent security because unless you specifically set up port forwarding, the evil hackers on the Net aren't able to connect directly to any of your PCs. (Although they do have other ways of getting to you of course).