Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Blocked sites help needed

This is a discussion on Blocked sites help needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Two days ago my daughter went to London do a work placement for a year. She is in a house ...

rocky53 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Blocked sites help needed

Two days ago my daughter went to London do a work placement for a year. She is in a house that has Sky wireless broadband. She has accessed the net however she can't get on hotmail as she gets the following error message

'Norton Internet Security has blocked access to this restricted site (hotmail.com). Blocked categories interact/mail to change this setting, the supervisor must remove this site restriction from the parental control section'

She did not have this restriction on prior to going to London does anyone know how you remove this as she can't get on MSN messenger either

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Blocked sites help needed

I dont think this is anything to do with the Sky Broadband
      a) Sky dont use Norton - They use McAfee.
      b) She can access other websites?

Did she have Norton installed before going on the placement?
      When and if you did install Norton you get an option to set a Supervisor key, Just simply from Norton change the User to the Supervisor account.

Uhmm - Dummies::Setting Up Norton Parental Control try that link, I havent really used Norton so cant go into detail, But that should tell you how to get rid of it and/or sort it out.

How it got this way, Only god knows (I guess)

Edit - That link ^^ is called Dummies, But by no means am I implying you or your daughter are dummies :P

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

WHO EVER OWNS THE HOUSE MAY HAVE RESTRICTED THE USE OF THE INTERNET TO ONLY WEB SURFING AND NOT THAT DAMNED MSN THINGY OR HOTMAIL

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

THEN SHE WILL HAVE TO TALK IT THROUGH WITH THE OWNER. CAN SHE USE MSN FROM HERE:

MessengerFX.com - Web Messenger

PS. Please don't type in captails as it not only is hard to read it gives the impression that you are shouting

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

RESTRICTED THE USE OF THE INTERNET TO ONLY WEB SURFING
      Unless they own the PC that is being used and have Norton installed on it, they could not do this.Tell your daughter to try this. I am assuming she has XP. Boot into Safe Mode and log on as the Administrator.
      From Programs List, open Norton Internet Security, then click to open the Norton Internet Security menu at the left side of the screen.
      then Select Parental Control and then click to Turn Off. I have just turned this on for a friend, much to the annoyance of his delinquent son.

Norton although a fairly good product is a bit of a resource hog and can cause more trouble than it prevents. If your daughter is computer literate, and if she is an average youngster she will be, I would advise she downloads AVG7 free, Comodo firewall and Adaware. Also the Norton Cleaner Tool. When she has done this, disconnect from the Internet and run the tool to remove Norton. Install the security programs, reconnect and update all the programs.
      The programs can be found here-
      Adaware Free
      AVG7 Free
      Comodo Free
      Norton Clean

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.