Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Broadband goes down every 10 mins or so

This is a discussion on Broadband goes down every 10 mins or so within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; you can use this - Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to set your target noise higher which will lower ...

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Broadband goes down every 10 mins or so

you can use this - Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to set your target noise higher which will lower your speed, but i do not think this will help (would not hurt to try)
      apart from that you could see if you could try another router (not sure if you have tried this already)

2. Advertisement
      jimscrivener is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the ideas.

I've looked into the Mognut's utility - but my understanding is that it only addresses the speed a PC uses not the actual line speed - ie no help to this problem.

As I mentioned at the top, I can use a Netgear DG834G (without the T) with much more success than with the Sky Netgear DG834GT - but it is still problematic.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Mognuts addresses the router, not the PC. Increasing the Noise margin, decreases the line speed. In saying that, I don't think it will do any good. I think your router may be faulty, as it is completely loosing the connection at intervals. Could be an exchange problem, but I doubt it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks - that's a really helpful comment.

After reading hundreds of posts here - and all the sticky guidelines - I still hadn't grasped exactly what I could use Mognuts for. I'd tried setting a connection speed with TCP optimiser (I think this is the one that only addresses a PC rather than a router) but your comment suggests to me that I can try setting a very much higher Noise margin on Mognuts and get a much lower line speed when it negotiates with the exchange.

Somehow I hadn't fully grasped the need to set a high figure here. This is a new step to try.

Right - I'm now doing that - setting target NM at 16 (contrasting than my usual 6.5 - 7.5 )and yes, after a restart - I now have about half the speed and more than twice the figure for noise margin.

Many thanks again. At least this is worth a go. I look forward to seeing how long I remain online! Nearly 9 minutes now!

Jim

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Got quite optimistic there. It lasted 49 minutes with 16-17 db Noise margin - then, suddenly, the usual disconnect without warning. There was no illuminated I on the router. Required a manual unplug/replug to get it going again. What on earth should I do next?

Thanks

Remember your SNR will need resetting, I still think a fault at the exchange or a faulty router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I agree.

Of course, the one thing you must NOT do, is extact the connection username and password from the Sky router and try putting that into the equipment you used to use with your previous provider. That would be against Sky's terms and conditions, which is unfortunate because it would tell you immediately whether the problem is with the router or with the exchange.

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      He has already done that James

TomD

Useful Utilites

Reason 346 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I have a very similar problem and thought I'd share here because it may relate to you too jimscrivener.

I have recently just switched to Sky Broadband Mid after using BT for several years. When I first got BT for the first 6 months everything was fine, then during some building work my house power cables and telephone wires were cut by accident and then later repaired. For the remaining time I've had broadband I have had connection problems where the "adsl" light or "I" light turns off, I loose internet connection for a few minutes and it comes back on again. This happens quite frequently, every 20-30 mins, sometimes it can last longer like an hour though.

This problem is still present even though:
      - I have changed service provider from BT to Sky Broadband, still the same problem
      - I have changed modems/routers about 4 times so it can't be a fault with them
      - I have swapped/checked/replaced wires and microfilters
      -I've been told my line can handle 8MB speed with both service providers, although I haven't tried reducing this to see if it helps.
      -I'm 500 metres away from my exchange.

Therefore I pressume it is something to do with the exchange or something.
      I'll be contacting someone to come out and look at the line because of this problem.

Good luck with solving your problem jimscrivener
      Last edited by Reason 346; 23-09-07 at 05:24 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Remember your SNR will need resetting.
      Still going down regularly...

So, I've reset the Noise Margin figure using Mognuts. What should I do with the SNR and HOW to do it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast