Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

MAC Code

This is a discussion on MAC Code within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First off, apologies if i am in the wrong section. Second, I will shortly be leaving sky broadband, not for ...

Philc1210 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

MAC Code

First off, apologies if i am in the wrong section.

Second, I will shortly be leaving sky broadband, not for bad service I must point out, if anything I have had excellent service from day one. It is purely because I am eligible for free broadband through work. However I do seem to be struggling at getting my MAC code sorted out. Does anyone know how long these things take and is there anyway of speeding it up

Regards
      Phil.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: MAC Code

ISPs are required to give a MAC code within 5 days, but as far as I know, Sky will give you one on demand, in common with most ISPs in fact.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      ISPs are required to give a MAC code within 5 days, but as far as I know, Sky will give you one on demand, in common with most ISPs in fact.
      I'm not certain but I think that cancellations have to request a mac code via an eform - IE it can't be done over the phone. There are a lot of people who've been waiting weeks or even months for a valid mac code or the line to be ceased...

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

When you ring up, there's no menu option for cancellations, but in one of the many calls I made to try to get a damned router out of Sky, I did say at one point, "I might as well ask for a MAC code because at this rate, it'd be quicker to migrate than to wait for a router to arrive," and they did offer to put me through to someone who'd be able to give me a MAC code straightaway.

They could have just been saying that of course…

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On the IVR we use in provisioning (no transfer codes, its a menu the same as you use) we have an option for technical or customer cancellations - when they said give, presumably they meant issue (send an eform to get one sent by post)...

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah right, he might well have said "issue" now that I think about it. I didn't actually take up the offer, so I don't actually know how quickly I would have got it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Issuing MACs to End-Users

A1.5 The Communications Provider shall communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing by letter and/or by e-mail within five working days of receipt of the End-Userís request save for A1.6.
      A1.6 Where the Communications Provider has issued the MAC to the End-User over the telephone (including details about the MAC validity period and expiry date and the Broadband Service to which the MAC relates), the Communications Provider is not required to communicate the MAC to the End-User in writing.
      The OFCOM code of practise makes it clear that a MAC must be issued with 5 working days. If they are making it difficult or refusing, they should be reported to OFCOM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.