Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving home, but there is no BT line

This is a discussion on Moving home, but there is no BT line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am moving from Birmingham to Reading next month. So I rang up to Sky TV customer service telling them ...

patrick78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMEDG
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Moving home, but there is no BT line

I am moving from Birmingham to Reading next month. So I rang up to Sky TV customer service telling them about my moving. The lady re-arrange a engineer to install a dish at new home in Reading. Regarding the Sky BB, I can continue to use it until 30th Sept, and I need to ring up Sky BB customer service to arrange the transfer by giving new BT telephone number.

After speaking to Sky, I rang up BT to transfer my telephone line service to Reading address. Surprisely, BT said there is no BT line at Reading address and the installation fee is 150 pounds!!

I still have 4~5 months Sky BB contract left. Can any one advise me what I should do? As I will continue to use Sky digital TV service, can I keep paying 10 pounds/month for BB Max until the contract finished without transfering to Reading address?

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Moving home, but there is no BT line

Quote Originally Posted by patrick78 View Post
      I am moving from Birmingham to Reading next month. So I rang up to Sky TV customer service telling them about my moving. The lady re-arrange a engineer to install a dish at new home in Reading. Regarding the Sky BB, I can continue to use it until 30th Sept, and I need to ring up Sky BB customer service to arrange the transfer by giving new BT telephone number.

After speaking to Sky, I rang up BT to transfer my telephone line service to Reading address. Surprisely, BT said there is no BT line at Reading address and the installation fee is 150 pounds!!

I still have 4~5 months Sky BB contract left. Can any one advise me what I should do? As I will continue to use Sky digital TV service, can I keep paying 10 pounds/month for BB Max until the contract finished without transfering to Reading address?
      Unofficially, wait till you've moved then ring up and check its been cancelled at your old address - if it has, say fine the BT lines not in yet, if it hasn't, get them to cancel it.

One of two things will happen.

Either the cancellation will go through and your account will be cleared; its very unlikely that you'd be chased to set it back up again, Sky rely completely on customers ringing back to sort it themselves.

OR

The cancellation will reject as the BT line at your Birmingham address will have been cancelled when it goes through - this will send a message to our systems saying "Cancel Failure" which is virtually impossible to remove at this point in time. You'll be allowed out of your contract as we wouldn't be able to supply you with broadband.

Anyone who's thinking of moving the broadband as they move house with Sky, prepare yourself for a lot of stress and general mis-information

patrick78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMEDG
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Moving home, but there is no BT line

Thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      Either the cancellation will go through and your account will be cleared; its very unlikely that you'd be chased to set it back up again, Sky rely completely on customers ringing back to sort it themselves.
      When you say the cancellation would go through, does it mean that the BT line has to remind active when sky broadband is cancelled?

Once broadband service is cancelled at Birmingham address, will I still being charged for 10 pounds/month for Max package if I don't arrange BT line at Reading address?

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      The cancellation will reject as the BT line at your Birmingham address will have been cancelled when it goes through - this will send a message to our systems saying "Cancel Failure" which is virtually impossible to remove at this point in time. You'll be allowed out of your contract as we wouldn't be able to supply you with broadband.
      Do you mean that the cancellation will reject if BT line is cancelled before sky broadband cancelled?

I already spoke to BT to cancel my line at Birmingham address, and it will be cancelled on 1st Oct. Sky told me the broadband service will stop(or cancel?) on 30th Sept. So is the first situation you described is more likely to happen?

In your opinion, what is the best way to do to minimise the costs (or without the costs)?