Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

adsl2+

This is a discussion on adsl2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First of all im new here so hello, right im starting to have a bit of beef with sky, and ...

jasonpi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: aberdeen north
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile adsl2+

First of all im new here so hello,

right im starting to have a bit of beef with sky, and wondered if anyone has come across this before so here goes....
      our exchange went active for sky's llu in june the first i know who signed up was my girlfriend asked for max no problems they said..her line goes active on the friday but her router doesnt arrive till the following thursday pain but hey she dealt with it. anyway i go round there to set it up and noticed a problem she was synching at 8096/768 so i got her detailed statistics and her mode was showin as G.DMT weird so i rang technical help asking to be put through to tier 3, no u need an open ticket so i told them and they said someone would call back in a few hours anyway after three hours of twoing and throwing with tier1 i kicked up a wee bit of stink and a very pleasant but tired guy from tier 3 answered....(must point out im a network engineer so pointing out what the issue was easier than the novice) i simply said look my girlfriend's line is not on adsl2 but normal adsl he said strange so as quick as ten seconds he changed mode to adsl2+ and she was synching at 11,997kbps not bad for an attenuation of 35.5 and a snr of 8. (even on adsl1 the upload is still 768k) so i said is that what sky is doing setting up max accounts on a synch of 8096 and all he said was no comment...fair enough i said! also i must add i asked the depth of interleaving to be reduced to 8 which was agreed to as fastpath is against sky policiy apparantly.
      the second referal to sky was a friend and yep you guessed it 8096/768 with an attenuation of 12DS so i pointed him in the direction of the telephone and said good luck he now synchs at 15ish meg anyway third person was myself and being with adsl24 and having a brilliant service i thought it was a gamble but i took the plunge rang up and ordered max......... so i gets my router on wednesday and my line went active today and yes you guessed it synch@ 8096/768 attenuation 21DS and is on G.DMT mode.. so i rang tech and thought i would start the process and i get put through to provisions and told no sir your not on our network yet i said yes i am il even do a tracert and she said no im not, but im using sky's router which everyone knows is locked to sky she tells me i must be using my old connection god some people are clueless...anyway any thoughts why this is happening..we all applied for max and we get stuck with this performance...

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: adsl2+

It a glitch in the system that causes your line to be set to 8096/768. Basically, its almost an automated process. If one stat on your line doesnt match for the ADSL2+ 'Perfect Profile' the system sticks you on G.DMT.

Also, sometimes our systems dont update like they should, and often show that your not on the Sky Network. Its not the advisors fault, its the systems

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanx for the quick reply, well what happens then do i need to raise a ticket yet again or will it update?? also fair ennough the advisor might see im not on the network yet but when i tell her im on the network using sky's (locked) router and she still says no its annoying mind you wont be locked for long

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'd point out that you still get a pre-configured router even if you're on the Connect package.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It a glitch in the system that causes your line to be set to 8096/768. Basically, its almost an automated process.
      I think it is more of a 'cop out' rather than a glitch. It means that if your line is not 100% Sky will not even try to give you 'Up to 16mb' unless you complain.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think it is more of a 'cop out' rather than a glitch. It means that if your line is not 100% Sky will not even try to give you 'Up to 16mb' unless you complain.
      i agree with that i know a few more people that are going through the same process

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its not really a glitch, its just easier to have everyone with a working service @ 8MB then to put lines that cant get it to 16MB and it all go pear shaped....
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

its just easier to have everyone with a working service @ 8MB then to put lines that cant get it to 16MB
      Perhaps if Sky explained this clearly in the 'activation letter' then people would not be so annoyed. The trouble is the connection is made, if it works, that is the end of it as far as Sky TS are concerned.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

yep!!

makes for an easy life as most people don't even notice!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: adsl2+

point is my old connection was 8128/832 an office product from adsl24 which was the dogs ******** and if i thought i couldnt get more than 8 meg do you think i would opt for a poorer service??? now on interleaved with treble pings and a smaller upload allowance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast