Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

This is a discussion on SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello All, This is my first post!! I've been thinking of going with Sky BB for some time now as ...

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Smile SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

Hello All,

This is my first post!! I've been thinking of going with Sky BB for some time now as I have recently bought my first house & I'm nearly ready to move in. The house was previously owned by my grandfather who had sky tv but no internet package (so no MAC problems!!)

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the "connect" & "mid" packages if any?

I want to get sky tv & it seems to make sense to go with the sky BB option too as thet are offering it at a good price.

I have checked my line using sky's line checker tool & it said that I can get up to 5Mb on my line and the "connect" package is available to me but o mention about min, mid, max packages which is what I expected to come up.

I am currently with Telewest cable BB at my parents house & I think I'm getting about 2.5Mb ATM but I can't get all the usefull stats that you guys can get from yours (I assume that's because the stats info is differnt for cable than it is to ADSL)

My Exchange is Hamilton (WSHAM), Or it will be when I move into my own house but I can't find much info regarding the exchanges services i.e. ADSL2+ etc.

My house is about 60 years old & the drop cable comes from a telegraph pole in the street (rather than under ground) so I would assume also that the drop cable has been there some time.

I have spent a fair bit of time replacing all the extension cable runs with CAT5e cable & installed network points in varoius locations but have no way of testing the quality of my workmanship yet though intend on trying to run a few old machines set up peer to peer to make sure that data packets are being sent & received o.k. Oh, & I am using one of those NTE5 (or something like that) master sockets with one dedicated run to where the router will plug in up stairs. I've got DECT phones so have not bothered with the ringer wire at all in an atempt to reduce noise!!

Anything else I should do to try & make life easier when I try getting things up & running with Sky BB??

Any help & advice anyone can offer will be most gratefully received, THANKS!!

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

You don't get to choose between Connect and Mid. If Sky have installed their own ADSL equipment in your local exchange, then you get to choose between the Base, Mid and Max packages. If they don't have their own equipment there, then they have to use BT's ADSL equipment to supply your broadband connection, and that's what they call the Connect package.

According to the Samknows website, the exchange at your new house does have Sky equipment in it, so you will be able to choose between the Base, Mid or Max packages - potentially up to 16Mbit/sec if your phone line can handle it.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply James67!!

O.K. now I understand how the availailable packages are labeled. I hope my phone line can handle up to 8Mb broadband as that's way better then I have now anyway!!

Thanks Again!!

Miracle_Boy66

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As James says the Hamilton exchange is enabled, but it could be fully subscribed for Sky LLU. This may be why you are only being offered Connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Remember, if you go for connect, despite what sales say, your router may not be dispatched until up to 5 working days after your activation date

Thanks

O.K. Thanks Isitme/ TSx,

Is there any way to find out if LLU is fully subscribed? If I phone them would they tell me? I'm not over the moon about the prospect of having to wait longer if I have to use connect rather than mid.

And there is another reason why I don't want to be on BT equipment!!

A mate of mine works for BT. I asked him if he could spare me some CAT5e cable to use throughout my house. He gave me a roll of stranded stuff rather than solid core. I took it back to him and explained that I really need the right stuff, not patch lead cable & he said that that's the cable he is issued with & that he has been using that (stranded cable) to do LONG 100 meter runs etc through the exchange. This is the wrong cable & should only be used to make patch leads no more than 10 meters as signal degradation is more likely with stranded wire.

So.... BT are using the wrong cable at their exchange!! What chance have you got of getting a solid, stable internet connection when BT are using the wrong cable!!!

Shortly after writting this mail I phoned SKY sales & was told that "Sky is in the process of installing there equipment in my exchange and that the LLU service is NOT over subscribed as not many people have subscribed in my area as the service is only just up and running" & that "my line has yet to be upgraded to allow LLU but will be sorted out by the end of october at the latest"

should I beleive any of it?? Is this a typical sales response to my questions?
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 21-09-07 at 06:02 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

firstly - put ur phone number into the availability checker on he Sky site, although that might lie

secondly - call them and ask!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Boy66 View Post
      Is there any way to find out if LLU is fully subscribed? If I phone them would they tell me?
      The only way is to phone them and ask them what package you can go on, if they say Connect then there are no slots available at your exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They should be able to tell you, but knowing Sky CS, you may be given a run around. I take it you have checked with the phone number on this page-
      Sky Broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Shortly after writting my last mail I phoned SKY sales & was told that "Sky is in the process of installing there equipment in my exchange and that the LLU service is NOT over subscribed as not many people have subscribed in my area as the service is only just up and running" & that "my line has yet to be upgraded to allow LLU but will be sorted out by the end of october at the latest"

should I beleive any of it?? Is this a typical sales response to my questions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast