Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

This is a discussion on SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for all the info guys!! And for a bit of politics too!!, All interesting stuff to consider. TSx, I'd ...

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

Thanks for all the info guys!! And for a bit of politics too!!, All interesting stuff to consider.

TSx, I'd love to be able to wait till after october before subscribing to Sky BB but I want to get Sky TV now & If I organise that then will the offer of 5.00 Per month BB still be available to me as a existing customer.

The sales person I spoke to on the phone earlier today said that they (SKY) expect to have my line upgraded in the next few weeks which I suppose might be possible but I won't hold my breath for that one. She also said that LLU was just getting up & running at my exchange but as someone pointed out, the Samknows site info says that Sky LLU was active since Nov 06. Perhaprs they really are rolling out some upgrades?? Oh, I don't know!!

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Boy66 View Post
      Thanks for all the info guys!! And for a bit of politics too!!, All interesting stuff to consider.

TSx, I'd love to be able to wait till after october before subscribing to Sky BB but I want to get Sky TV now & If I organise that then will the offer of 5.00 Per month BB still be available to me as a existing customer.

The sales person I spoke to on the phone earlier today said that they (SKY) expect to have my line upgraded in the next few weeks which I suppose might be possible but I won't hold my breath for that one. She also said that LLU was just getting up & running at my exchange but as someone pointed out, the Samknows site info says that Sky LLU was active since Nov 06. Perhaprs they really are rolling out some upgrades?? Oh, I don't know!!
      Its an all-customer offer, and activation is free for up to 6 weeks after the TV is installed... course, If I was in your position I would be wary of the offer changing as well.

Providing you're not wanting to go to max, or get annoyed when it takes them months to upgrade you, you may as well go for it now

Thanks

I think I'll subscribe to Sky TV first, along with the phone offer (free evening & weekend calls) & leave it a month or so & phone sky again & see where we are then. I would like to get 16Mb BB in the future if not now so I'd reckon It will be worth waiting a little while to try & ensure that I am connected to sky's equipment from the start of my sky BB experience. Fingers crossed!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

However, chances of Sky putting their MAX up to 25.00 in say the next 2 years are highly unlikely.
      According to the T & Cs, they can only increase by 10% per year or users will have the right to move within their contract period. Unless they change these, it will be about 10 years before the Max cost gets up to 25.

@Miracle_Boy66
      If you are offered Connect at 5, I would strongly advise you to jump at it. No other ISP can offer anything like this and it will put you on the list for upgrading to LLU as soon as it is available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

TSx/ Isitme,

If I do take the connect package at a fiver a month, Once LLU is more readily available, will new customers not be more likely to be offered a connection to the upgraded equipment at the exchange before they upgrade existing customers?

I see there is another thread running and all the comments on it are from people like me, who have been told there exchange is JUST about ready to offer LLU.

I wonder, are Sky just dangling a carrot so people will bite & then, well they've go you & unless you want to go through a lot of hassle, you are stuck with them.

TBH I'm not that concerned about the price of the service & more concerned about getting a good steady, solid, relaible connection.

The way I see it, an unreliable service isn't worth having even if it costs 50p per month If you arre tearing your hair out because you missed that E-Bay item you really wanted or you can't get that E-Mail from joe blogs about last minute travel arrangements or something like that. It's nice to be able to get BB for 5.00 per month but only if the service actually works properly.
      Last edited by Miracle_Boy66; 22-09-07 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks

bump bump

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think anyone can tell you that you are going to have 100% trouble free connection. If they did they would be lying. The reliability of a connection depends on the quality of your phone line and without knowing this, you just can't tell how good it is going to be. If you are in Hamilton town centre, there is a good chance of a good connection, but if you are in one of the outlying estates, then it could be problematic, due to the distance from the exchange.

If you elect to go on Connect, this is a version of BT's up to 8mb ADSLMax, you will be no worse of than paying 25 to BT. The only problem being that BT are not very keen on correcting line faults which effect other ISPs, so if you have a fault that degrades your broadband, but not your phone, you could have difficulties.

I don't think Sky will hold you back if you are paying 5 for Connect. This is a heavily subsidised rate, so Sky will not want you on it any longer than necessary, most seem to be transferred within a month of the exchange being enabled.

The final decision is always going to be up to you. If you read through the Forum you will find plenty who are dissatisfied. A large proportion of these either moved from stable 2mb connections and expected the same with a much higher speed, or have very long phone lines and can't get anything like the speed they expected. There are also many who started off with a very poor connection, who with the help of the Forum, are now more than satisfied.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but as I said at the start, it depends almost 100% on your phone line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hello Isitme,

Again, thanks for the reply & your advice!! Iguess I'll have to just take the plunge & hope that everything works out. I've done as much as I can at my side of the master socket so I guess it's going to be down to the condition of the drop cable & it's connections all the way back to the exchange (Whatever route that takes)

ATM I guess I'm a little spoiled compared to others. I've had Cable BB for about 5 years now & the service has been pretty stable & reliable at all times of the day. that said, it's only an up to 4Mb package an It costs about 20.00 a month (was with Telewest)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123