Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

This is a discussion on SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In a word, NO. If you are connected to Hamilton exchange, this was enabled in November of last year. Extract ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: SKY BB Min, Mid, Max & connect packages?

In a word, NO. If you are connected to Hamilton exchange, this was enabled in November of last year.
      Extract
      Exchange history 05/04/2007 Be Unlimited has enabled the Hamilton exchange for their service 02/04/2007 Be Unlimited has updated the enablement date for the Hamilton exchange to 30/04/2007 (Was previously 31/03/2007) 02/03/2007 Be Unlimited has updated the enablement date for the Hamilton exchange to 31/03/2007 (Was previously 28/02/2007) 24/11/2006 Easynet has enabled the Hamilton exchange for their service 19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q1 2011 for the switch to 21CN for the Hamilton exchange 03/08/2006 Be Unlimited has set an enablement date of 28/02/2007 for the Hamilton exchange
      They may be installing another DSLAM, but I doubt it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Actually, capacity is being increased in a lot of exchanges - ring sales again and ask them to read out the midnet message to you (hopefully they should understand, theres 2 text fields on the DSL checker and one is marked 'midnet')

It'll either give a date (could be next month, could be next year) or it'll say the exchange is not planned to be upgraded. If its due to be done in October, theres two points to remember

1: You should be offered connect at 5/month
      2: You'll probably not be upgraded till at least December (it'll be a while anyway, the migration process still has its teething problems)

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks again people!!!

Isitme, Yeah, I read that LLU was set up at my exchange last year too.

However, I have been offered the connect package at 5.00 per month. I do remember that when I spoke to the person in Sky sales, they checked the number and I think mentioned something about "midnet" so perhaps that my exchange is being upgraded. The person I spoke to seemed rather apprehensive at first but once she checked my number I could sense relief in her voice as she said, that I'd be o.k. & that things were looking good, Upgrades due to go active by october etc.

I'll be signing up before the 30th anyway so I'll let you know how I get on & keep you updated!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky normally only offer you the 5 connect if your exchange is due to be upgraded to LLU within 6 months. Therefore we could assume, they are out of capacity, but are going to be adding it within 6 months. Even Connect at 5.00 per month is exceedingly good value, and won't be beaten by any other ISP at the moment.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Theres no longer a time limit on the 5 offer (and as I said, I'd recommend waiting till October, otherwise it'll take months for you to be migrated to mid)

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's below wholesale price. BT charge 7.63 per month for an IPstream Max line compared with Sky's charge of 4.25 per month (ex VAT). And that's not taking pipe charges into account. I'm surprised other ISP's aren't kicking up a right stink about that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
      The way they do it probably protects them. They charge you 17 for the broadband and give you a discount of 12 on your TV package. At least that is how they did it with me, I was quite confused by the account, but it worked out in the end.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      That's below wholesale price. BT charge 7.63 per month for an IPstream Max line compared with Sky's charge of 4.25 per month (ex VAT). And that's not taking pipe charges into account. I'm surprised other ISP's aren't kicking up a right stink about that.
      Other ISP's dont have TV subscriptions to subside the discount though. If they want to kick up a stink, they could always launch their own TV service and get 8million plus subscribers and then they will soon be able to compete.

Competition is good, Sky just saw the vision about 20 years before anyone else.

Sky giving 12.00 discount on the Connect shows just how confident they are, as well as appealing to a wider audience.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

They could complain about anti-competitive cross-subsidisation. It is, after all, rather impractacle to suggest that other ISPs would be able to compete if they started up a competing multi-channel television offering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the situation. Sky have done and continue to do a marvellous job of pushing new technology into the market place. With this offer being extended, it seems reasonable to conclude that Sky are committed to rolling out near-complete LLU coverage sooner rather than later. I'm also expecting to see the first wide-spread IPTV service being launched by Sky in the not-too-distant future. The Ethernet port on my HD box is just crying out to have something plugged into it.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

They could complain about anti-competitive cross-subsidisation.
      Sky could just sell it as a loss though, which is theoretically what they are doing.

Even on their LLU service, they won't make any profit for at least the first 12 months of any contract. Then if you look at the Base package, they would never make any profit from that.

Any ISP subsidises their service. Years ago you could buy unlimited bb from Plusnet and those who were light users subsidised the heavier users. Problem is that can only last for so long.

Maybe Sky will put their prices up in the long term plans, but like I always say, I was paying 25.00 per mth from F2S before for a bout a fifth of what I get. Even paying 25.00 per month for Sky say in 2 years, would be a bargain as it would still give me more than what I was getting.

However, chances of Sky putting their MAX up to 25.00 in say the next 2 years are highly unlikely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast