Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection Problems (like you hadn't guessed :P)

This is a discussion on Connection Problems (like you hadn't guessed :P) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, well after coming back from University I found my parents had changed our internet to Sky. Didn't bother me ...

Adz
      Adz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Problems (like you hadn't guessed :P)

Hey, well after coming back from University I found my parents had changed our internet to Sky. Didn't bother me until I noticed one thing - the router was prefixed (unless you want to inject into it and get your details). This I figured would be a problem eventually, and now, it really is annoying me off. Reason is like you haven't guessed, the connection is absolutely dreadful and this week its just been so bad i've decided to look into it.

Now, the only thing that has changed is we've got a new computer downstairs. Ever since teh one im on right now has had absolutely terrible connection problems. it either disconnects, goes extremely slowly (as a taste, on WoW it spike pings every 20seconds or so and constantly gives a 1000-2000ping and an FPS to match (ie very low)). Confusing since before this computer came the connection problems could be fixed by resetting the router - and I'm thinking that now there are two computers connected this may be the cause? It's the only explanation I can think of. I've upgraded the firmware on the network card (yeah both are wireless, this one uses a Netgear WG111T) to try and fix the problem.

Any advice?

Details incase ive missed them:
      Standard Sky router (changed netgear DGwhatever it is :P)
      Both computers use XP

stats
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 30427 48544 0 673 13930 01:17:02
      LAN 10M/100M 2002 0 0 41 0 01:17:48
      WLAN 11M/54M 51486 33361 0 14040 799 01:17:38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3520 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 11.0 db

I've just turned off UPnP as i've read skys firmware has a bug in it (surprise there?)
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 21-09-07 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Changed adjective used

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Connection Problems (like you hadn't guessed :P)

It could be wireless interference from a neighbour. I've often seen in these circumstances that when idle, you see what seems like a strong, stable wireless connection, but as soon as you start moving any data around, the speed starts dropping. The router will try to cope with the interference, but the approach it takes to doing that when communicating with the downstairs PC may be very different from the upstairs PC because of a big difference in signal strength between the two.

One thing I'd suggest is switching off the router completely, and then seeing what wireless networks remain available, both on the upstairs PC and the one downstairs. Look for a free channel that is as far away from other wireless networks as possible because the channels actually overlap. Switch the router back on and change the channel number it uses for wireless and see how you get on.

Adz
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks I will try that, upon checking for networks there are 2, one on channel 6 and one on channel 5. Mine is on 6 at the moment. I've tried channel 11 before and got a horrible horrible connection signal. Will going to 1 make a big enough difference (if this is the problem)

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The interference between channels 1 and 5 should be pretty low. Having neighbours on channels 5 and 6 (probably both interfering with each other) means that using channel 6 yourself is almost certain to have been causing the problem.

There is an issue in that people who have disable network name (SSID) broadcasting can be using a channel without it being immediately obvious to people around them. That was probably why channel 11 didn't work before.

But you definitely shouldn't be using channel 6.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

why do people think that just cause their wireless/internet dosn't work thats its the routers fault? dont get me wrong, there are problems with it, but everyone jumps straight on it just cause NETGEAR wrote the firmware for Sky that it must be crap!!

anyway, full router stats would also help and try connection wired to see if its not just a wireless issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To be honest, my low opinion is more about wireless networking in general than it is about Sky's router in particular.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ join the club mate...lol
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

To illustrate the problem, I did a quick wireless survey of my house. Here's what I got:

Channel 1 - two networks, one varying between 14 and 68%, the other between 12 and 26%

Channel 2 - one network varying between 20 and 62%

Channel 4 - this is my wireless bridge out to the shed. It doesn't actually show up on the 'netsh' output because it isn't an Access Point. Due to be replaced by gigabit Ethernet running in a rodent-proof conduit this weekend.

Channel 6 - one network varying between 12 and 20%

Channel 7 - two networks, one (with no encryption) varying between 10 and 18%, the other (the local primary school) varying between 14 and 20%

Channel 9 - one network (the local secondary school, with no encryption) varying between 14 and 18%

Channel 11 - three networks, one (the same secondary school, again with no encryption) at 18%, the second also at 18%, and the third varying between 16 and 38%

Channel 13 - one network (the same primary school that's using channel 7) varying between 12 and 40%

All pretty crowded isn't it. And I've got a big school playing field at the end of my back garden, rather than another row of houses. I dread to think what it must be like for people living in those urban areas where many of the houses have been converted into flats.

I don't actually have a wireless access point myself. There are Ethernet wall sockets in every room, all connected to a gigabit switch.

Adz
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      why do people think that just cause their wireless/internet dosn't work thats its the routers fault? dont get me wrong, there are problems with it, but everyone jumps straight on it just cause NETGEAR wrote the firmware for Sky that it must be crap!!

anyway, full router stats would also help and try connection wired to see if its not just a wireless issue...
      Link on where to get the full router stats?

Currently using it wired isn't going to happen and since I'm off to university within the week i'm not going to go to so much hassle. Reason i suspected the router - cos i've been wireless for i dunno, 4years and everytime something like this (multiple crashes, once had a rotuer that crashed every 30seconds without fail nonstop) were caused by faulty routers or routers that i dont know, just eventually died. With those ones I did try tests - ie changing channel, fiddling with settings, phoning BT to check the link, and what not, but I guess Im just rather fed up with **** wireless routers, especially when the last router that went faulty severely and when i got back for Xmas i replaced it, it worked perfectly fine. I get back in the summer to find my parents have switched to Sky to save money (fair enough), but now the problem is I have a perfectly good router downstairs I cannot use without breaking the ToS (thanks Sky?) and a currently ****ed router.

Oh yeah, changing the Channel to 1 didnt work. Neitehr did 2-11 and some of them made it so i had to then reset the router since my card wouldn't pick up the router (note: Router is 5m from this computer, be it through a wall).

Any other ideas would be appreciated, sorry for my tone. Luckily I have decent internet in my university house and I researched internet before I chose it. Wish my parents had done the same, since typing in "Sky broadband problems" gives far too much, although then again, I've had 3 Netgear routers so far, all have done this eventually (lots of disconnects/huge lag/slow connections) and Netgear supposedly make the best routers. Maybe its the house :P

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I personally don't think that Netgear's routers are all that good, although I know many people who rave about how wonderful they think they are.

If you're really not happy with the Netgear's wireless capabilities, but you don't want to break the T's and C's, then the answer is to put your favourite router next to the Netgear one and connect them together using an Ethernet cable.

Before you do that though, on the Netgear router, you need to turn wireless networking off (go to the Wireless Settings page on http://192.168.0.1/ and untick the "Enable Wireless Access Point" option) and change the DHCP settings, so that address 192.168.0.2 is freed up (go to the LAN IP Setup page, and in the section titled "Use router as DHCP server", change the Starting IP address from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.3).

On your other router, reconfigure it to have an IP address of 192.168.0.2 and disable DHCP, and make sure wireless is enabled and configured as you want it to be. Obviously, this router should NOT be plugged into the phone line.

Once the two routers are connected together, you'll have wireless networking provided by the second router and broadband connectivity provided by the Netgear. And no breach of the T's and C's.

Sending out pre-configured routers is, I reckon, a good idea on Sky's part. It means that (theoretically at least) people can just plug in the router and start surfing. The really dumb thing that Sky did is to force people to use their router and not allow any option to use an alternative device. I can see their motivation for doing this, but it causes many problems for a minority of users - me included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast