Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Things have improved, but...

This is a discussion on Things have improved, but... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted this thread a little while ago and got a few responses: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...usly-slow.html However, the day after that (the ...

lkmills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Things have improved, but...

I posted this thread a little while ago and got a few responses: Just got Max but it's rediculously slow...

However, the day after that (the day I was getting 5kbps downloads) I got this

The first post I made was only the second day of having it so I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway, since that problem it has been relatively good but my question is, is it normal to have good and bad days with regards to speed of downloads?

The main thing I have been downloading is demos on my Playstation 3. Just yesterday I downloaded about 1GB in 5-10 minutes but today it took 35 minutes to download 991MB. Is this a common occurrence or is there something wrong?

I should probably also point out that my PS3 downloads are always much faster than my downloads on my PC despite being further away.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm using a wireless connection by the way.
      Edit 2: Also, the internet seems to be really slow after around 8.30-9.00
      Last edited by lkmills; 20-09-07 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Missing information

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Things have improved, but...

Well the internet has its ups and downs, and there are periods of the day when there are more people are using their broadband connections than at others - back in the days I had broadband, you could always tell when the kids were getting back from school.

But you wouldn't normally expect to see changes as violent as 5kbit/sec one day, 12Mbit/sec the next. On the other hand, downloading 1GB in 10 minutes one day (I really doubt it was ever as fast as 5 minutes tbh - that's like 30Mbit/sec) and 35 minutes the next is pretty reasonable as far as variability is concerned. A gigabyte is a lot of data to move around, and there are many things that can slow the transfer of data down - how many other people are using the server which your downloading from, for example.

Did you do anything to fix the horrendously noisy line you reported in the other thread? Or did it just suddenly get better? The stats you posted in the other thread suggested that your line was really, really bad when it came to noise.

lkmills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Well the internet has its ups and downs, and there are periods of the day when there are more people are using their broadband connections than at others - back in the days I had broadband, you could always tell when the kids were getting back from school.

But you wouldn't normally expect to see changes as violent as 5kbit/sec one day, 12Mbit/sec the next. On the other hand, downloading 1GB in 10 minutes one day (I really doubt it was ever as fast as 5 minutes tbh - that's like 30Mbit/sec) and 35 minutes the next is pretty reasonable as far as variability is concerned. A gigabyte is a lot of data to move around, and there are many things that can slow the transfer of data down - how many other people are using the server which your downloading from, for example.

Did you do anything to fix the horrendously noisy line you reported in the other thread? Or did it just suddenly get better? The stats you posted in the other thread suggested that your line was really, really bad when it came to noise.
      It probably wasn't five minutes but I know it was really fast. And no I didn't do anything to change the noise unless you would count leaving it over night.

Today the downloads on my PS3 are going at about 500kbps and downloads on my PC are around 80-100kbps despite speedtest.net saying I'm downloading at 4mbps.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, speedtest.net simply tests your speed by downloading data from the test server that you selected, so that points to the servers that you're trying to download from on your PS3 and your PC being heavily loaded.