Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Activated but no worky

This is a discussion on Activated but no worky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i've migrated from Be. Activation was 17/9. Be went off on this date. Recieved router 18/9 (well done sky). ...

dangermouse74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activated but no worky

Hi, i've migrated from Be. Activation was 17/9. Be went off on this date. Recieved router 18/9 (well done sky). But when its all plugged in (yes i have checked everything, e.g. swapped cables, etc), the internet greenlight on the router does not light up. Spoke to sky on the 19th, they said you may to wait up to 3 days after activation official date.
      BUT according to BT's log the activation took place on the 17th, as planned. I tried this morning before work (now 3 days), but still no internet. I've been with a few different companies over the years, migration has always been as simple as switch one off and another on.
      HELP!!!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Activated but no worky

get tier 1 to do a tone test - might be BT haven't jumpered u into Sky's LLU yet properly...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

pmoule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could be a faulty router, I went active yesterday but no internet light. Technical support got me to plug my old router in and confirmed line was ok with that so are sending me a new router, which takes 5 days.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As pmoule sort of suggests, plug in your old router, if it syncs with the exchange, then the Sky router is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dangermouse74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice.
      Tried another router, but still no light(internet connection).
      I phoned tech support last night (20th), they went through all the basics (for Gods sake, I've worked in IT for 10 years), and tried a tone test (this failed). But they reported that I would have to go through this again today (21st), as the 17th-20th was not 3 days after the activation, and the next level of support would ignore this until then. Phoned this morning (21st), spoke to a really helpful guy, who has raised a ticket to level 2 support. Why would a line fail a tone test, when broadband worked fine before with a different company????

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I may be wrong, but I think the tone test is to establish if you are connected to Sky's network, not to find out if your line if capable. As has been mentioned, you are probably not yet connected to Sky's LLU at the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

OliverTomlinson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wow dangermouse, your having the exact same problem as me.

My line was due for activation on the 17th. Didnt recieve my netgear till yesterday (20th). Plugs it in, no ADSL sync. Tried three different types of routers, three different types of microfilters, and even had the faceplate of the NTE5 master BT socket and tried the test connection - Still no sync.

Rang up support, last night, pretty much immediatly went straight through to Tier 2 and he couldnt do anything. At the time they tried to patch me through to Tier 3 but was busy.

This morning (21st) I rang back, went straight through to Tier 3, he logged into the exchange everything was ok, sent test tones ok. Still no Sync. He then told me he was going to run some ECO tests on the line, and that I would probably get a call back today from a BT engineer, possibly resulting in a call out.

No sooner had i came off the phone to Tier 3, i get sync!

After a few minutes of heart palpatations and pant wetting i logs into the admin panel and then i am immediatly disgusted! 128kpbs down stream 64kbps upstream (Ala. TWIN ISDN?!?!!)

Tried rebooting a few times, still a poor excuse for a sync rate.

Ive now been harnessing the power of 128kbps for a whole 30 minutes... lets see if this picks up during the course of the day, or even better, if i do get a call from a BT engineer.

P.S. i had the 3 days extra lead time qouted in the letter too, but they seamt to ignore it... they could be fobbing you off? BTW are you on 01623 exchange at all?

keiranmraine is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01707
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is interesting. My activation date should have been the 18th. My router arrived 20th and the internet light would not light. Seems this is common then.

I'm 01707 exchange

Stinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01225
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi all i am new but also have this problem. my activation date was 19/9/07. i may differ though as all my lights are on and i still cant connect. i got the '3 day' fob off too. i also dont understand what the hell they have to do that no other ISP does! Is it a case of having to wait (for either today or tomorrow depending on when the 3 days start from) ?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Moving to Sky involves a BT engineer visiting the exchange to physically move your connection onto Sky's own ADSL equipment. Activation dates have never been entirely accurate and that's down to BT.

Were you previously using a different broadband provider? If so, try going back to using whatever you used to connect to them and see if that still works. If it does, keep things like that until it stops working, then change over to using Sky's router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast