Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

confused as to whether sky have activated my line?

This is a discussion on confused as to whether sky have activated my line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Today is my estimated activation day with sky broadband wireless. My tiscali internet connection is down so i'm assuming ...

mattj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

confused as to whether sky have activated my line?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is my estimated activation day with sky broadband wireless. My tiscali internet connection is down so i'm assuming it is today that they're switching me over. My wireless router is lit up although none of the numbers that stand for devices connected to it are lit up. This is despite my router being set up and connected via the yellow wire to the pc. My pc is unable to connect to the internet and has not yet acknowledged the router but my laptop has been able to connect wireless to the internet. I'm a bit confused as to why my router is able to get my laptop online but not my pc. Intially i thought maybe they aren't switching me to sky today due to the absence of any of the numbers being lit up on the router but the fact my laptop is online has confused me any ideas? cheers!

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: confused as to whether sky have activated my line?

I'm guessing that the number lights on the router represent the wired network ports on the back of the router, one of which you've plugged that yellow cable into. The appropriate light should come on regardless of whether you've got a broadband connection or not. All it means is that there's a working network connection between the router itself and whatever it is you've plugged into the corresponding port (in your case, your PC), not whether you've got a broadband connection available to that PC.

There's many things that could be wrong here, but the first thing to check is that the cable is connected properly at both ends. When you plug the connector in, it should make a distinct click.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Distinct click has been heard!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah well, if there's no number light on the router, then there's some kind of hardware fault. It could be the router, the cable, or the PC's network circuitry.

Next thing to try is to power cycle the router. Disconnect the power supply from the router, wait 15 seconds or so, then plug it back in. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then you'll need to try another network cable. If that doesn't resolve the problem then you've got a problem with the PC's hardware which is going to be difficult for you to fix.

The key point is that that light should come on regardless of whether the broadband connection is working or not.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks alot for the advice. Just tried the power cycle sugguestion and found that the number 1 does light up for a time when the pc is started up but by the time i've got to the windows xp page for choosing which account to log in with it has gone. Not sure if this changes anything?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

problem sorted