Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sky wireless and vista, help

This is a discussion on sky wireless and vista, help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just started to set up my new computer which has Windows Vista installed and am really confused about setting ...

jeffnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sky wireless and vista, help

I've just started to set up my new computer which has Windows Vista installed and am really confused about setting up my wireless connection. When I asked the forum before about this I was advised that i could just unplug my connection from my old computer and plug it in to my new one. (that, I understand), However, I'm being advised that because my anteannea thingy is plugged into my computer via a usb connection, Vista wont accept the change and that I will have to go back to having to plug in the eather cable connected to the modem. So if I'm right in thinking I am then back to being non wireless.........Help, what is the best and easiest way to keep the wireless set up I've already got

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: sky wireless and vista, help

Have you installed the drivers for the adapter?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what drivers, what adapter? sorry if i seem thick, never done any of this before

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The proper name for the "antenna thingy" is a "USB wireless network adapter", that's what Isitme means by "the adapter".

These USB wireless network adapters will come with a CD which includes the driver software that tells Windows how to make use the adapter.

Usually all you need to do is insert the CD into your PC and wait. After a few seconds, an installation program on the CD should start automatically and install the driver software for you. As a rule, it's better to install the driver software before you plug the adapter in. For some makes of wireless network adapter, the driver software installer program will tell you to "plug the adapter in now", or something like that.

With the driver software installed, when you plug the adapter in, Windows will announce that it's discovered a new piece of hardware (referring to the adapter you've just plugged in), and shortly after that, it'll say that the new hardware is ready to use.

Thanks

There is a good chance that the driver CD, if you have one, will not have Vista drivers. If this is the case, post the make and model number of your 'thingy' and we will point you to the drivers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok so i followed james67 advice and ...it worked. I now have internet So Thanks for that.

The next problem I have is that I didnt activate my original product key for the Vista disc/program until today 23 days after i should have so it wouldnt except it ( i had to obtaibn a new one). So I followed the info on the screen which took me to a screen with a box on it that said, "other ways to obtain your product key", this lead me to a phone number which I rang and I was to type in 25 characters/numbers into the phone then the "person" on the phone would read back a set of new numbers and to put them into the relevant boxes. This i did, and away i went. Vista installed.

I didnt no that i would need those numbers again to register for other programs such as Email/outlook and word ...yep, I didnt write them down so the question is... How do I find that box with my new numbers in ...or how do I get my outlook and word and anything else i need the code/key for?????

rubric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Go to the start menu then control panel. Then go to system and maintenance. Then go to system. Down the bottom is your product ID.

Email outlook and word would have different product keys though which would have been included with the version of office you purchased.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Ya, thanks for the help, the "different product keys" ..not sure about that, the compuiter I brought had vista already installed and all i had to do is activate it so not sure where i would find the keys?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Any PC that comes with Vista pre-installed will have a sticker on it with the product key.

Thanks

Go to this site and download The Magic Jellybean Unzip the file to your desk top, double click it and you will find you can read off the keys for any MS products you have installed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast