Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

p2p Policy. Can someone answer some Q's?

This is a discussion on p2p Policy. Can someone answer some Q's? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I recently got connected to SKY Broadband MAX (16mb). The first five days i was experiencing speeds of 600KBs ...

joe2002_is is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Arrow p2p Policy. Can someone answer some Q's?

Hello,

I recently got connected to SKY Broadband MAX (16mb).

The first five days i was experiencing speeds of 600KBs on Utorrent and Azeures. Anytime of the day. Even with not that many seeds.

Then all of a sudden these speeds dropped to a max of 30KBs and somtimes wnot even connect at all.

Now my line download (when tested on speedtest.net) is and has always shown around 11780Kbs Down and 685Kbs Up. So that hasnt changed. Nor has limewire speeds. Just torrents.

I did use it quite a lot in the first five days, proably downloaded about 10GB over that period, maybe slightly more. That was just down to some catch up time on the net.

Anyway. I have contacted SKY who said they dont slow down ppls speeds, even if they did it would show on my speed tests anyway.

They said they dont support torrent use(seems like that was a way of saying i'm not tellnig you exactly what we do). But they did tell me that the block certain ports that carries a lot of torrent traffic, but that is not specific to an individual, more on a server.

What i wanna know is, can anyone explane why my speeds have dropped..???????
      please dont mention to me about "maybe i'm downloading a file with not many seeds, or too many leechers" that is not the case. I have done tests with the same variable, ie file, location, seeds, leechers.

I am trying to find out what sky exactly do in their fight to stop torrent use?

What policies they opperate.

If they cap individuals speed.

They told me they would never slow my speed, only kick me off or give me a warning first if i was downloading too much.

So can someone pleae answer any of these questions.

Also, i have tried fiddling with forwarding ports, which didnt seem to do anythin.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: p2p Policy. Can someone answer some Q's?

Sky don't throttle any use of P2P connections - bar it being illegal in most cases - so no idea whats gone on ur end....

In terms of tech support - if ur getting the throughput fine on speed tests then they can do sweet FA.....
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm on Max and get very erratic speeds in uTorrent.

What I do is to grab a Linux ISO torrent from an official site to determine if there are any problems.

This always proves to me that the configuration of my router and uTorrent is fine and my download speeds max out at 1.6MBps
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ thats just it!! if u can get the throughput using the speed test on my sig (for example) then the issues are related to the seeds ur downloading off (id assume)...

just dont expect Sky to do anything about it as of course P2P is frowned upon by the industry

and change ur profile - ur blatantly not on Base!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds like the problem I always had with torrents I could always only get 5-20 k/sec, for when I downloaded World Of Warcraft patches before anybody says I was doing anything naughty.

This was on all ISP's, it was one of the reasons why I stopped playing WoW as pulling 600+ meg patches took a fair while to download.

Do you play on Xbox live as that uses p2p to play games on as the hosts box is the server, if it was abysmal for that as well it would suggest a problem at your end.

As IAmNotTheEnermy says p2p is frowned upon as the FBI estimates at least 90% of p2p traffic is illegal activity so any problem you have may not be investigated especially if that's the only problem you have.