Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connection problems

This is a discussion on Connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. Wondering if anyone can help/has suggestions.. I have tried looking through these forums, but there's rather a lot to ...

JanStan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection problems

Hi. Wondering if anyone can help/has suggestions..

I have tried looking through these forums, but there's rather a lot to wade through!!!

I have 2 pcs connected to sky broadband.

PC 1 runs Windows Vista and works ok most of the time. It sits upstairs in a bedroom. It has a built in wireless card (it is brand new)

PC 2 runs Windows XP and works occasionally (but is sluggish) and frequently drops out for long amounts of time. It has a plug-in wireless adapter. It sits downstairs and is about 6m away from the router

Both are on a wireless connection.

We have never managed to get both of them working satisfactorily together.
      I had a look on this forum last night and changed some of the settings on the router and thought I had cracked it, but then PC 2 stopped working after turning sluggish, and PC 1 couldn't even find the network to connect to. I don't know what happened there, but managed to get PC1 working again.

Any ideas where I start looking? The whole idea of us upgrading our broadband was so that the two of us could surf at the same time.. I'm sure that the setting someone must be wrong, but am reasonably pc literate and can't find anything obvious..

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      liam22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: winsford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems

try this, not sure if it will help, but its worth a try.

goto ur router settings here 192.168.0.1

user - admin
      pass - sky

click wireless settings
      click wireless station access list
      and add both ur wirless pc's to the trusted wireless stations.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that last night. Initially things looked good on both machines, then they both dropped out, Have still got them set up like that at the moment.

Any more ideas?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

post ur full router stats cause chances are it a line issue not wireless...(see my sig for link on how to do this)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help so far.

I have read about what all the terminology means and have a better understanding of what all the figures below mean, but I ain't no expert yet!!

I looked at the stats on the router and got:-

Line attentuation Down - 47.0db Up - 31.0db
      Noise margin Down - 7.9db Up 14.0db

Then I got brave and ran mognut...

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5856 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.8 14.0
      Attn(dB): 47.0 31.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 0.9
      Max(Kbps): 6464 1120
      Rate (Kbps): 5856 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 184(0) 14
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 184 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.0864 17.0666
      L: 1480 120
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 15379583 15379581
      SFErr: 208 32
      RS: 1045811698 65363219
      RSCorr: 77737729 2582
      RSUnCorr: 3387 0

HEC: 180 22
      OCD: 1 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 3611014748 0
      Data Cells: 12100122 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 154 0
      SES: 70 0
      UAS: 21 0
      Total time = 1 days 38 min 6 sec
      SF = 15379583
      CRC = 208
      LOS = 79
      LOF = 0
      ES = 154
      Latest 1 day time = 38 min 6 sec
      SF = 134502
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 6 sec
      SF = 28582
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5082204
      CRC = 60
      LOS = 19
      LOF = 0
      ES = 45
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52871
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52990
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

I noticed intermittent CRC and LOS errors. Any idea what this could mean? Also the downstream speed seems reasonable (am on mid) but upstream not so much.. Should the 2 values be similar? I used to have 2 mb virgin broadband with just 1 computer, and the response times I am getting at present, are comparable to how they used to be. They certainly don't seem hugely better.

Also, after I ran the test, my other half logged on to the other computer, and my connection went almost immediately down. It had been running fine all day with no previous problems..

I'm wondering whether the wiring is the issue. It should be ok.

It goes like this:-

Bt phone socket - adsl filter - splitter with - fax extension
      - phone line

cable to router comes out side of splitter

cable to sky digital box is hardwired in the side of the splitter

Hope this makes sense!

And if you've read all this, thank you!!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

CRC errors are where a packet of data has been unrecoverably corrupted. A small number of CRC errors are a fact of life bearing in mind you're moving high speed data over a wire that was intended to just carry a voice signal. The widely accepted rule of thumb is "no more than 1 CRC error per 1000 superframes (SF)". So the 24-hour figure stats showing SF = 5082204, CRC = 60, well that's absolutely fine, no problem at all.

The LOS errors indicate a "loss of sync". This means that the interference on the line was so bad that the exchange and the router lost their connection entirely and had to resynchronise from scratch, just like they did when you switched the router on. Ideally you want that value to be 0, but in practice, it's quite hard to do anything about the causes of these intermittent problems. A total of 19 LOS's over the course of a 24 hour period isn't too bad really.

As for connection speeds, the A in ADSL stands for asymetric, referring specifically to the way the upload speed and the download speed are different. Home Internet users will typically need a much faster download speed than upload speed and your broadband connection will be configured accordingly. Your 416 kbit/sec upload speed is entirely normal for the Broadband Base package you are on.

All in all, I'd say that your line is performing pretty well. The attenuation figure (a measure of how much quieter the broadband signal gets as it travels from the exchange to your router) suggests you're about 3 km from the exchange. Does that sound about right?

As for your wireless connectivity problems, my personal bugbear is channel numbers (others may have different suggestions). Switch off your router and see what other wireless networks your PCs can find. The way I do this is as follows:
      • From the start menu, select All Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt
      • Type the following command:
        Code:
        netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid >netsh.txt
      • Now type this command:
        Code:
        notepad netsh.txt

In the Notepad window, you'll see a list of all your neighbours wireless networks. Each one will have a channel number between 1 and 13 as well as a signal strength as a percentage. You need to pick a channel number that is as far away from the channels which are in use as you can, so if channels 1, 4, 6 and 12 are in use, pick channel 9. If there are lots of wireless networks, you may have to select a channel on the basis of where the weakest networks are in your neighbourhood.

You'll need to look at the network which both PC's pick up. There may be networks which, say, the upstairs PC see but the downstairs one doesn't. You have to pick one channel number to use on both your PCs, so what might seem like a good choice downstairs, might not be such a good choice upstairs. Once you've chosen a channel, you need to connect to the router using a web browser (like Internet Explorer) and go to http://192.168.0.1 - on the Wireless Settings page, you'll see an option to set the channel number that the router uses. Change that to your chosen channel and click on the Apply button right at the bottom of the page.

It's all a bit of a nightmare to do really. You might in the end decide to get a 10m Ethernet cable and plug the downstairs PC directly into that. Personally, I don't think wireless networking works very well when you're trying to get two PCs trying to communicate with the router, one quite close and one further away, and with walls or ceilings in-between. It is sometimes easier when you have only PC communicating wirelessly.

Of course, none of this may actually help. There's plenty of other things that can go wrong with wireless networking.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your response..

Will try looking at the other available networks and see what I find... Otherwise, I will try the longer ethernet cable. Got nothing to lose at this point!!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      The LOS errors indicate a "loss of sync". This means that the interference on the line was so bad that the exchange and the router lost their connection entirely and had to resynchronise from scratch, just like they did when you switched the router on.
      I don't think it's quite as bad as that. When routers report LOS it normally refers to a loss off DSL signal - occasionally Loss of Signal Seconds (number of seconds that DSL signalling has been lost). What this means is that on the number of occasions reported the router was unable to detect the DSL carrier signal. Losing this won't force the router to completely resync unless the signal is lost more than momentarily.

As you say, a small number of LOS is nothing to worry about.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried the suggestion about

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid >netsh.txt

Now type this command:
      Code:
      notepad netsh.txt
      PC1 - upstairs - showed no other networks (running Vista))
      PC2 - the command woldn't work on. says it was invalid (running XP)

Off to buy a long ethernet cable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good one to get, or are they all much the same. I think I may have to get a 15m rather than 10m one. Will that affect the performance?

Give me old fashioned coax and ibm controllers any day... I knew all about! that!

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ethernet cables work reliably up to 100 metres. The signal on an Ethernet cable doesn't degrade or slow down the longer the cable is, it just works.

As for cable brands, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Any cable that's labelled Cat5 or Cat5e or Cat6 will carry your data as reliably as any other.

The other thing to remember is that you ought to get a straight-through cable rather than a cross-over cable. A cross-over cable will work (the Ethernet ports on the router can detect that the signals are reversed) but they cost more, and you should only buy these when you specifically know you need one.

And I remember coax all too well. A bleeding nightmare it was. The whole network would stop working just because the connection at one computer had been knocked out or something. You wouldn't get two separate networks - oh no, that would be far too easy - the signal reflection from the break in the network meant that no computer could communicate with another, so you had to go round to every single machine and check its network connection.

Twisted pair networking was a revelation after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast